1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Got my a6500 last night...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Tipton, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Came home to a little box on the porch. I'd forgotten how much smaller the a6** series is, than the a7 series. Perfect size for putting in the center console compartment in my car, which is what I wanted. I've got my Sony FE 28/2 prime on it now, but I need to find a compact zoom, if anyone has suggestions.

I have mixed feelings about the touch screen.

Since we're talking about Ebay sellers, I'm going to give this guy a perfect rating. Near Mint condition, on my doorstep in two days, no fuss, no muss.

Now to sell my Fuji-X kit.

• Like Like x 6
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Picture of the camera Rae, or it didn't happen.

Congrats on the new used one.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats! Enjoy ;) 

4. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    IMG_2256.JPG

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Even discounting the difference in lenses, that's a dramatic difference in body size. Of course, neither one of those is going to fit in a pocket. So you'll be carrying them in a bag. At which point the difference is really kind of negligible, IMO.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    That's a common perception, but it really is a huge difference in practice. I really miss my a6000. I used to drop it in my coat pocket all the time with the 16-50PZ attached. It easily slips in cargo pants too. As far as bags go. I have a Domke F-5 XB that I love. It hasn't seen much use since I went FF. With the a6000, it would hold my a6000, Sony 16-70Z, UWA Rokinon 12mm or tele 55-210) + accessories.
    When I build up the bank account, I will building up portable APSC kit again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the picture Rae!
    That 16-35 looks huge on your A7.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    For a zoom lens, the 16-35 isn't bad at all. I think my iPhone exaggerated things.

Wait til you see my Tamron 150-600 on the a6500...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    How do you like the Tamron 150-600 adapted to E-mount? I have the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 in A-mount and it seems to perform adequately on an LA-EA3. If I ever decide I need more reach, that 150-600 is high on my list.

Oh, and enjoy that A6500... with the Tamron 150-600 you should have telescope level reach!

10. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Here we go...

I'm kind of impressed. Even extended, this thing is only slightly pitching forward. Good placement on the mount shoe, Tamron.

IMG_2258.JPG IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2260.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 3
  11. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I mostly like it. But I have the A-mount version, and the thing about the A-mount version is, it doesn't have lens stabilization, but costs the same as the other mount versions which have it. Not actually a problem for me, since both my bodies have IBIS...

I took some decent handheld bird in flight pictures last summer with it on my A7. But the A7 only gets 5 fps, hence getting the a6500.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I am going to assume (yeah, I know) that you're going to be using that on a tripod. Correct?

13. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    When I have time to. It's not actually that heavy, and I have shot handheld, just have to remember to carry it by the tripod shoe, rather than the camera.

14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I hear ya on that. I had to train myself not to carry the Sony's by the body like I used to with my D7000. I never worried about the lens tweaking that camera mount. The Sony's are a different story though. I worry ALL the time, even with some of my smaller lenses.

15. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    • Like Like x 5
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Will you guys please stop! I lust after this lens, and you're not helping.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Raz

Raz New to TalkEmount

Jan 16, 2018
    Northern NYC suburbs.
    Can you please let us know how many FPS you get with the 6500+150-600 combination?

18. Kmac76

Kmac76 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    This thread has morphed into a serious threat to my camera kit expansion parameters... I have been close to pulling the trigger on upgrading from my a6000 to a 6500 for the IBIS (and overall upgrades) so I could use more alternate lenses without the OSS, but one thing holding me back was the lusting for the tamron 150-600 + adapter... now this thread is starting to sell me on both the camera and lens as useful additions.... I need a sponsor.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    All together now...

"Hello, my name is ___ and I am a GASaholic."

"Hi, ___."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Unfortunately, there is still ice on the lakes around here. But the waterfowl will be returning soon, and I'll be out with the tamron.

An odd thing about becoming a photographer is that you start paying more attention to what's really around you. I never knew until last year that there was a waterfowl preserve ten minutes from my house.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.