1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got my 5N!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I went to Best Buy today hoping to get an NEX-3 on clearance. I asked the store salesperson if they were selling the now discontinued NEX-3 and NEX-5 at a reduced price, and he indicated to me that he hadn't heard they were discontinued and that in fact they couldn't keep them in stock and had just received a large new supply of both cameras. When I mentioned the new C3 and 5N, has asked me to wait while he checked the model numbers. Sure enough, all of the new stock were C3 and 5N models. I asked if he had the 5N in silver, and he said no, only black. Bought one, took it home, and it's silver, just like I wanted ;). Charging now!

2. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Let us know how you get on, enjoy!

Cheers, Macjim.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Enjoy the new camera!

I have one question about the lcd responsiveness compared to e-p3? I didn't see any reports on this. After using it on e-p3 with screen AF, I wonder if nex-5n is that quick.

4. jlabate

jlabate TalkEmount Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Isn't it nice when things work out that way. You wanted silver and surprise - you got it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the camera. Enjoy.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I've only used it in relatively low light, indoors, with the 18-55mm kit lens, but here are some initial impressions. Overall, the Sony AF is slower than the E-P3, which in turn AF'd slower than the GH2 in this kind of (low) light. The touch AF on the Sony only works when continuous AF tracking is engaged, and I keep that off, so there is no touch AF for me. However, I can touch select my AF point and then push the shutter to AF, which is handy. With AF tracking engaged, touch AF on the NEX is not nearly as fast as touch AF with the E-P3 (using the lenses I have and in these lighting conditions).

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    #1 gripe so far with my NEX-5N is that there doesn't seem to be a way to set the Auto ISO range higher then 3200. As good as the high ISO performance is with this camera, I'd like to be able to set Auto ISO up to 12,800.

7. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Too bad if touch focus only works with cont's AF tracking. But then again the af lenses are limited right now. I read that touch magnification works with manual lenses. That might be useful.

8. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    That should have been adjustable to higher iso's. My problem with the nex-5 was the min shutter speed 1/30sec for the auto ISO bump, esp problem with longer manual lenses. There was no input for the manual lenses like in m43. So I use it with shutter speed control and the manual lenses have the aperture control.

9. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Congratulations and happy shooting.

10. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Well, got a phone call from the camera retailer and my NEX-5N is now available for collection so, I'm of into Glasgow to pick up my nice twin lens set (16 & 18-55 mm) tomorrow!

Cheers, Macjim.

11. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Congrats macjim, looking forward to see some pictures taken with it ;)

12. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Pics of the camera.. please :)
    I have a black Nex-5 now but I'm tempted by the Silver 5N, I'm only afraid of how it looks with vintage lenses.. normally black!

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Congrats, looking forward to seeing your photos!

14. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    DSC00007.
    Well, got my camera and I'm very please with it. It'll take a wee while to get used to it but here's a photo from it... not the first photo as the ones before this were just test shots but this is the first in anger!

15. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Have you tested the video yet? Does it click or is it click free?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk