1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got a Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Today

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Jul 15, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I am loving this lens. It arrived today and I already had an adapter ready and waiting for it. Here it is using my alpha 7R:

Cellphone photo of the camera and lens:

IMG_0020a2.

'Business' view:

IMG_0021a2.

Backyard view at 5AM before dawn (ISO12800, 6 sec., f/22):

_DSC1048a2.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    why f22 on the last shot? It causes diffraction and it kills you with the noise at 12800. Most lenses perform best between f/5.6-f/8. You would have infinite depth of field at this focal length on those apertures and you could significantly drop your ISO (to 800 at f/5.6 - or you could have done ISO400 and 12 second shutterspeed you were on tripod anyways).
    Sorry but these two pictures don't do a great job showing me what this lens is capable of.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Did you really want to know why f/1:22? ASA12800 was due to the ISO setting being on "auto" (I'm just learning to use this camera - I was surprised to see that it had cranked the ASA up to 12800). Because it jacked itself up to 12800, it was too bright, and I wanted a longer shutter speed, so I cranked the aperture down to f/1:22 (I would have gone smaller if I could). I was not aware that I was using ASA12800 until after the image was processed. And by the way that last image was taken in the near pitch black (what the camera was able to extract WAS amazing).

Sorry, but these images were not posted to show you of what the lens was capable. You should go read a review if you want that kind of information. I just posted this stuff because I was excited about getting the lens. These were extreme and quickly captured images.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Personally not a fan of fisheye lenses for normal uses, but I've seen some fascinating fisheye shots from time to time. Enjoy the new lens.

On most non-auto functions you can set a max ISO.

5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Now see...you've gone and done it !!
    I've been managing my GAS very well, not going shorter / wider than my Canon FDn 24-35-L.....now you post about your Canon Fisheye lens !!!
    :biggrin:

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Haha Roundball, doesn't it always happen like that! :) These FDs (and other adaptables) have gotten my attention too, but there is a limit to what I will subject myself with manual focusing. Fortunately the really wide lenses don't need a lot of that.

Speaking of focusing (in video and movies), I was amazed to see what the Oconner O-Focus cine sets cost! There has to be a cheaper way!

... edit ...
    And I guess there is - I didn't search far enough before posting that comment.

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yeah, sure does.
    As much as I'd like to have the experience of playing around with one, I keep coming back to the reality that I have like new Canon FDn 24 and 28mm lenses that I almost never use.
    Other than the occasional sunset where I'll use lenses in the 24-35 range, my normal interests seem to have me reaching for a Canon Macro lens or a Canon 300 or 400 tele...so its hard for me to justify hundreds of bucks for a fisheye, that for me, would be used for a few novelty shots then sit in storage.
    So keep posting photos and I'll "live vicariously through your lens".
    :)

8. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend you. I hope your new lens brings you a lot of joy and satisfaction!

9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I felt that I should post some information regarding "Le Hook" that is pictured in the above image. At some point someone here on the forum mentioned their attraction to this piece of hardware and I have always used them. Today may be the end of that relationship.

I had a couple of them on a Nikon strap on my Nikon D3s and walking along a downtown sidewalk one of them came apart! The camera hit the sidewalk with alarming impact. I immediately assumed that the camera and/or lens had suffered significant damage. On closer inspection neither the camera or lens was damaged to any extent, but I was really lucky.
    This is the "Le Hook" in its original and configuration:

IMG_0960 copy.

The "Le Hook" separated at the interface that allows it to rotate freely and I'm still not sure why it decided to come apart at that moment. It was a hot day, but I can't imagine that the heat (on a totally metal part) could result in its separation. The bottom line is that while rated at 50kg, I don't think I can trust them with any valuable hardware. I would also warn anyone else that uses these to be sure and be careful with yours.

IMG_0959a1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yikes! Your heart must have skipped a beat seeing your Nikon hit the ground, Tom.
    That Hook looks to be quite robust. Nicest design I've seen.
    The failure looks to be related to the cir-clip that engages the lip the piece with the strap. Wonder if the clip wore down or it wore away the larger piece?
    If it had ample grease, it may have prevented any metal on metal wear.
    Just glad you didn't suffer any loss!

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    It sure did Will. The D3s had my 85mm/1.4 on it and I was scared for both of them! Someone was watching over them today.

As far as Le Hook, I was surprised that C-clip didn't have more of a lip on it. I'm going to write to the seller (in Switzerland as I recall) and discuss the reliability differences of the various sizes and report what happened to me. Right now I can push the pieces together (they 'snap' when they fully seat) and pull them back apart again with about 4-5 pound force (about like a trigger on most handguns). I've not tried the ones that haven't failed.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yikes

Sent from my GT-N5110 using TalkEmount app

13. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Hey Dave, Do you and Will know each other? You're both in AZ and you both like the word "Yikes"? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well it is a good word for these types of incidents.

And no, we have not meet in person.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount app

15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Tom - Is the cir-clip even shown in the picture of the separated pieces?
    It doesn't appear to be, or if it is, it's OD doesn't look to be much more that the OD of the shaft.

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That's exactly right 'Always'.

Ring-clip.

You are looking at it and it is not much larger than the cylinder. I haven't put it under a microscope yet, but I am not sure how it is installed. Will suggested that it might have been abraded due to lack of any lubricant, and that may be true, but I can't imagine that it has seen any significant loads that could cause that abrasion. I'll take a closer look at it soon and see what other details I can find. If I had some means to do some tensile testing I would do that for an identical part (but it could mean sacrificing the part). These things cost me $20 apiece!

17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Is there a mating groove inside the piece it slips into for the clip to expand into once inserted?
    If so, they're relying on the spring action of the clip to keep it in place. Not a very good system if you ask me as the temper of the clip is critical to it working correctly.

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    There has to be because when I push it in I can feel it snap into place. And that means the edge of the ring is also crucial to it not being 'leveraged' out of the groove - and that also supports Will's abrasion suggestion.

19. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    New Information:
    So I examined the separated "Le Hook" more closely and, yes there is a groove inside the back part of the hook that should retain the C-clip (or E-clip - I haven't removed that clip from the failed hook yet). I did however remate the two separated parts and gave it another 'tensile test' which it seemed to pass but with what I would guess is only about a 4 pound pull test.

I replaced the broken on on the Nikon strap and gave it the same test. It also seemed to pass to much stronger force (guessing 40 pounds or so - my arms aren't calibrated). But then it occurred to me that they might not work so well while being rotated (which is what they are designed to do). So I gave what was supposedly a new hook the same pull test while rotating it - and it immediately came apart!

So the conclusion is that I will not be using them for valuable hardware. They are designed to rotate - which they do, and they are designed to carry a load - which they do, but they just can't do both at the same time!

I will be contacting the company that sold them to me explaining these results.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info Tom.
    Sounds like they need to go back to the drawing board on this design to me.
    When I initially saw it in a different thread I wondered how they made that mechanical swivel joint. Now I know.
    It's not easy machining things that are small like this while holding tight tolerances so pieces work like you think they're supposed to, especially on a mass production basis.
    Glad you didn't loose any equipment.