1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gorillapod hybrid or slr for your nex

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I just wanted to ask those having already a gorillapod for their nex. Is this a hybrid model (that can hold up to 1kg?) or a slr model (that can hold up to 3kg?).
    Do you also have the head? I guess it might be nice to have that also to make easier to compose a nice shot.

Thanks for the replies
    Alex

2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have an older Gorillapod SLR that I purchased for a superzoom/bridge camera. I believe it is supposed to support about 1 3/4 lbs (so closer to 1 kg). It seems to work OK with my NEX with smaller lenses. I don't think that model is made anymore and I would probably prefer something that could handle a little more weight. The SLR-Zoom is the model you referred to as the SLR model and I would probably go for that now.

Also, my model can't take a ball head. If you get one, I would definitely recommend the head. It would be much more convenient to be able to position the camera. The inability to do that is one of my biggest complaints about my gorillapod.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I have had two 3Kg Gorillapods. Left the first one somewhere on a walk. I would much rather have the 3Kg vs the 1Kg - The 1Kg just wasn't safe enough to me if I wanted to put old, heavy, legacy glass on the NEX.