Goodbye to my baby nex5n :(, I got the NexF3

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by freddytto, Nov 16, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    hello friends yesterday I had an accident with my nex5n, I dropped into the water and was completely wet, so look for the receipt and this afternoon I went to the sony, and I have changed, had paid the warranty for 2 years thanks of my wife advised to get it,she insisted and I think it was a good idea over a year ago, finally today I went to pick up another new nex, the guy on sony give me the opportunity to choose the camera I wanted, (but we had to pay the difference, 50 bucks, and renew the warranty for 2 years more) among nexF3 or Nex5R, nex6 but unfortunately only had little money :( , and we did some shopping before , so my wife chose the nexF3 because I own the nex7 and it is easier to make self-portraits by the tiltable screen, I think is somewhat better than nex5n slightly lower noise high ISO but I think sacrificing the touch screen, Shoots faster against the touchscreen. : ( and some little diferences. I hope not repent and we have to go back to pick up nex5n or save a few bucks more and maybe the nex5R, but I donĀ“t think so.

* Well here I comparteo some pictures with the new nexf3 ..

NexF3 and 18-55mm F4
    ISO 1600 1/60s f/3.5

<a href="" title="St. Patrick's Church by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8192323528_68baf8d180_b. "1024" height="685" alt="St. Patrick's Church"></a>

NexF3 and 18-55mm F3.5
    ISO 1600 1/50s f/5
    <a href="" title="DSC00042 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8192347252_dd13d2e591_b. "1024" height="685" alt="DSC00042"></a>

NexF3 and 18-55mm F3.5
    ISO 1600 1/80s f/3.5
    <a href="" title="St. Patrick's Church by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8192323630_801a8b61f4_b. "685" height="1024" alt="St. Patrick's Church"></a>

NexF3 and 18-55mm F3.5
    ISO 400 1/200s f/6.3

<a href="" title="Alex B/W by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8191236775_65dee9c0c3_b. "1024" height="685" alt="Alex B/W"></a>

NexF3 and 18-55mm F3.5
    ISO 400 1/160s f/6.3
    <a href="" title="The guy with the red cap by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8191236683_1cf4ccef6e_b. "1024" height="685" alt="The guy with the red cap"></a>

NexF3 and Olympus 28mm F3.5
    ISO 200 1/250s f/3.5
    <a href="" title="alex with the nex7 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 8191236577_a95c08c300_b. "1024" height="685" alt="alex with the nex7"></a>
  2. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    You drowned your Nex 5n!? :( Yikes! Lucky you had cover. Do your warranties include accidental damage? Over here we have to put cameras on household contents insurance (or get seperate camera insurance) to get accidental damage cover (although some extended warranties might offer it too come to think of it).
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm glad the accident had a good ending...

I think the 5N will always have a sentimental value, but the F3 is a very capable replacement. I was actually looking at one the other day and was admiring how nice the body shape was.

Beautiful pics once again Freddytto!
  4. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    if so, I drown my little nex5n, pay an additional warranty a year ago for 80 bucks, because my wife insisted, (I am very careful with my things), I think it has finally paid off, but now I'm seeing some differences between nex5n vs nexf3, (nex5n I think is better), but is the one choose my wife.
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Sad, but a good outcome. And, after all, she should get to pick since she made the call on the extended warranty, right? ;)
  6. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Thanks friend, I began to mourn when I saw her at the bottom of the pool, was fixing some things in the yard and accidentally push a chair and fell to the bottom of the water, because I wanted to take some pictures of the evening, so was a very bad afternoon yesterday, so when was checking my stuff on my boxes, I found a little bubble inside of the glass of my 55-210mm, tiny almost a powder, but it no effect on the photos, so today I had a long day between shopping and all that,so I can switch my 55-210m for a new lens :) , the Sony guy behaved very well with me, as I mentioned before only pay 50 bucks for the price difference (would have been over 200 bucks), but really helped me, and even I kept the flash of the nex5n :)
  7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Aw, on the plus side, I often get a little jealous of that built in flash! (don't care so much for the 180 screen)
  8. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    so is I think sometimes we have to pay attention to the wife, they always right :eek:
  9. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Ah reminds me of when I first got the Nikon D7000 a couple years back only to have dropped it into a swimming pool less than a month into it. Ended up buying another D7000 lol I never buy their warranty stuff but it really does come in handy.
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm currently an F3 owner too....
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fantastic images, and sorry to hear about the 5N. Does the F3 feel much bigger in the hand? It looks like it might be a bit easier for me to grip than the 5N.
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Do you mean the warranty covers accidential damages (somehow same like Toshibas laptop "no matter what" warranty?) or that Sony offers a trade-in/exchange program?
    That would be very cool if so!!!

Glad everything worked out well in the end ;)
    And beautiful photos as usual ;)
  13. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Thank you, Thank you for the timeliness of this thread. As noted in another post I am in the odd predicament of having both the 5N and the F3 temporarily and having to decide which to keep (and unfortunately I have not had much time to try either). There are trade-offs regardless of which I choose. I all but decide to go with one, when doubt creeps in :). Most recently I have been leaning toward keeping the F3 as I believe there will be times when I will want to be able to use the flash along with the EVF (which I also have). This is also my first NEX camera so it is a bit of an experiment for me and the F3 is slightly less money. Your photos have shown me that the F3 is capable of outstanding photos and I should not be concerned if I choose it over the 5N ... but then that little bit of doubt continues to linger :confused: :).
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Any NEX is better than no NEX!

Nice first shots!
  15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    RIP 5n

Congratulations for a new F3
  16. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Let me let you know something,I was expecting much more from it,(better than NEX5N) but the NEXF3 positioned as the successor to the fantastic C3 , it replaced that camera's slim profile with a bulkier build, I mean the image quality was fine, but focusing speeds fell short, :(, NEX -5N is among the faster cameras on the market, able to shoot at 10 frames per second for a burst of 10 shots :).

And other thing I saw, the processing power and image sensor in the Sony NEX -5N allow the ISO is 100 to 25600 instead of the F3 is 200 to 16000, though dynamic range is actually quite similar between the two, last night was comparing some pictures about the two cameras and nex5n is ahead, so I'll have to go to change the NEXF3, the body building also appears to be plastic, not metal.

I have to get the NEX5R,it a successful update : performance has been improved all around, the touchscreen tilts in every which way and the design has changed only for the better, or maybe get the nex6 with the new lens, 16-50mm, because I own the 18-55mm.
  17. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Thank you for that information. This certainly adds to the confusion. It seems the only way to get close to everything I would like (EVF, built in flash and 5N level of performance) is to move up to the NEX 6 (or 7). Unfortunately that would cost very much more than my investment in the F3 with the EVF. I'm sure the 6 and 7 are better, but as a first time NEX user, I'm not sure if it's wise to make that financial commitment yet. If I go with the 5N, I'll pay a bit of a premium and perhaps get somewhat better performance, but at the price of a combined EVF/flash combo and a few other minor features. Oh Sony, why do you make it so difficult? ;)

Best of luck with your own decision. I'll be interested to know whether you choose the 5r or 6. You did say that the dynamic range between the 5N and F3 are quite similar notwithstanding the difference in the ISO minimum and maximum (which is similar to what I have read in reviews). How big of an image quality difference are you otherwise seeing between your old 5N and the F3? Is the difference viewing JPEG or RAW files as well?
  18. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I read many alarming reports on the R. Lower quality touchscreen, degraded IQ, poor built... Don't know how true it is.
    The 6 I've had for three weeks and am becoming kg really comfortable with now. It's definitely quicker in operation than the N was, dial mode and menus is better, Fn button is very good, so are dual control wheels. IQ seems identical to the N. EVF is useful to have (the auto switch between LCD and EVF is instant), and the standard hotshoe is godsent. Built is excellent, not the sexiest curves, but serious in appearance and handling, I find the size a perfect compromise between compactness and ability to balance with bigger lenses, or adapted ones.
    Overall I concur the 6 is probably the most complete/mature NEX as of today.
    Forget AF speed hype though, still far behind last gen m4/3, but the APSC chip and peaking more than make up for that.
  19. JTM_CR

JTM_CR TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    is that saint patrick and also bryant park?
  20. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I'm going on Friday to try again, I was able to have it a week ago and I loved it, the faster autofocus is better than my nex7, better in maximum light sensitivity, I hope can bring it home, I have to see as will be the difference to put in the table.