1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Goodbye to a friend

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Sep 7, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    9225337071_1933f2390f_b.
    Simba by dixeyk, on Flickr

I don't post much here anymore as my life has taken me in different directions (and gotten more complicated) but I thought this would be appropriate. Yesterday my wife, son and I said goodbye to Harley our companion for the past 17 years. Today feels strange as I am sure will the next few days. Harley has graced these pages (along with his housemate Roscoe) many times as he often found himself to be my unwilling subject. Rest easy little friend.

2. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2012
    My condolences, Kevin. Anyone who has had a pet - particularly a dog or cat - for a long period of time will understand. I often think about the canine companion I grew up with - decades after we lost him.

3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I only had one dog in my life, lost it and never dared going through that pain again. Sorry for you :/

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A tough day.

Peace be on your family.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    So sorry Kevin.

Goodbye Harley.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Sorry for your loss, Kevin. Your picture constitutes a worthy memorial.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My sincere condolenses Kevin. R.I.P Harley.
    :(

I recently lost Nicole, my 13 y.o persian cat who was like a daughter to us so I def know the feeling...

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's always hard to lose a family member, regardless of how many feet they put on the floor. RIP Harley, an endless bone and squirrels to chase galore await you.

9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Condolences, Kevin. Been there, done that, unfortunately.

Tony

10. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    One of the most difficult moments in anyone’s life who has experienced the transition from pet to family member and their loss. I’ve done it more times than I believed I ever would and it never, ever gets easier to come to terms with. I feel for you. They will always be a part of you, a memory that may fade somewhat after time but will never cease to exist.
    I’m sorry for your loss!
    Bruce

11. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    It's very hard to lose someone you've been so close to, but I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you gave Harley a loving home and a good life.

12. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Deleted - double post.

13. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    A very touching tribute - I took the decision to leave my dog behind in the UK when we moved to NZ recently. She is well looked after by family in the UK, but still it's not quite the same without her. Best wishes, Justin.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate the condolences, it helps to process things. I feel very fortunate that he was with us for so long. It's the emotional cost of owning a pet. You know going into it that most likely you'll outlive them (and you know what it feels like to lose them) but you do it anyway. My son offered this little story about Harley. He said, "Dad, do you remember how Harley loved to play fetch? You'd throw the sock and he's go tearing after it, pick it up and then run off without bringing the sock back. You find him later sitting in bed with the sock being all excited about it." ...I cracked up, he was right Harley had an unusual idea of what fetch was all about. I think he must have collected fifty or so socks in that bed over the years.

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    So sorry. So, so sorry.

16. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes, condolences. I've had my share of losses. It doesn't get easier over time. I've had quite a few cats I've lost. I still have three now, 10 year and two 1 year olds. Guess the fun out ways the grief.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app