Good source for E-Mount lens reviews?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    As a new member, I apologize if this has already been addressed in a post, but is there a good, reliable site for E-Mount lens reviews? I have been able to find reviews here and there, but looking for something more comprehensive.

Right now I am primarily shooting with the 16-50 kit lens on my new Nex-6, my SAL1680CZ with a LA-EA2, or Minolta MD mount lenses. I would like to find some good AF lenses to feed my GAS, but want to make educated choices before I ask my local camera shop to special order them in ;)

I am really interested in the 18-105 G, but I am a little tentative about another PZ... Not super happy with my kit lens ( love the "pancake" aspect of it, but not very fond of the feel of the power zoom). I am also interested in the CZ 16-70, but have heard some poor reviews, which is similar to what I was reading on the SAL1680CZ right after I bought it (I have been very happy with it, but always wondered if I should have went with a different choice like the Sony 16-105 instead).

I will figure out a way to make myself crazy researching lenses, so any info you can provide on a good review site will help decrease my therapy bills!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Quite good sites are

www.kurtmunger.com
    www.photozone.de

As for the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 - it received many more positive reviews than negative ones, so I guess it's sample variation. Shouldn't happen at a €1000 lens, but still, that doesn't make it a bad lens per se.

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Poki!

I have not spent much time on the kurtmunger site, but will start and will also check out the photo zone site! ;)

I think what we are seeing in the reviews of the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 are very similar to what was seen with the A-Mount Zeiss 16-80, and I have been happy with it for the past couple of years! I just need to convince myself not to pay attention to the extremes and instead listen to the more moderate reviews.

I agree that for the cost of even the "entry level" Zeiss lenses we should not have to be concerned with sample variation. Quality control should be a bit better on a lens that holds the Zeiss name...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TalkEmount mobile app

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave