Good source for E-Mount lens reviews?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    As a new member, I apologize if this has already been addressed in a post, but is there a good, reliable site for E-Mount lens reviews? I have been able to find reviews here and there, but looking for something more comprehensive.

Right now I am primarily shooting with the 16-50 kit lens on my new Nex-6, my SAL1680CZ with a LA-EA2, or Minolta MD mount lenses. I would like to find some good AF lenses to feed my GAS, but want to make educated choices before I ask my local camera shop to special order them in ;)

I am really interested in the 18-105 G, but I am a little tentative about another PZ... Not super happy with my kit lens ( love the "pancake" aspect of it, but not very fond of the feel of the power zoom). I am also interested in the CZ 16-70, but have heard some poor reviews, which is similar to what I was reading on the SAL1680CZ right after I bought it (I have been very happy with it, but always wondered if I should have went with a different choice like the Sony 16-105 instead).

I will figure out a way to make myself crazy researching lenses, so any info you can provide on a good review site will help decrease my therapy bills!
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Quite good sites are

As for the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 - it received many more positive reviews than negative ones, so I guess it's sample variation. Shouldn't happen at a €1000 lens, but still, that doesn't make it a bad lens per se.
  3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Poki!

I have not spent much time on the kurtmunger site, but will start and will also check out the photo zone site! ;)

I think what we are seeing in the reviews of the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 are very similar to what was seen with the A-Mount Zeiss 16-80, and I have been happy with it for the past couple of years! I just need to convince myself not to pay attention to the extremes and instead listen to the more moderate reviews.

I agree that for the cost of even the "entry level" Zeiss lenses we should not have to be concerned with sample variation. Quality control should be a bit better on a lens that holds the Zeiss name...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TalkEmount mobile app
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ