Good for an SLR person?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jim Nichols, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jim Nichols

Jim Nichols New to TalkEmount

Aug 22, 2011
    I've been an SLR shooter since the late '70s but have also had a Canon G1.
    How happy are SLR shooters with the micro 4/3 format?
    Is it the preferred option for situations that won't allow DSLRs?
  2. navinmahabir

navinmahabir New to TalkEmount

All micro 4/3rds cameras are SLRs. It's important to note that the sensors on NEX cameras aren't 4/3rds sized - they're APS-C, which is about twice the size of micro 4/3rds, but about 2/3rds the size of a 35mm frame. Sensor size is important because it changes effective focal length (increasing it), so one of the biggest differences in shooting is that lens choice is somewhat different. There are full frame sensors (i.e., the size of 35mm negs) but those are the most expensive of digital SLRs, so for many cost is prohibitive. Depending on what you like to shoot, there can be quite a benefit to shooting APS-C, or 4/3rds because of the crop/telephoto effect.
  3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    While it's true that 43 cameras are DSLRs M43 (micro) are not. These are the Panasonic G cameras and the Olympus EP cameras. Both the m43 cameras and the Sony NEX cameras (as well as the Samsung NX cameras) have a size advantage over traditional DSLRs while maintaining good image quality because of their larger sensors.

As Navin noted these sensors are smaller than a traditional 35mm film negative but much bigger than anything you will find in a compact camera. The sensor in the NEX is the same size (and often the same sensor) as found in some of the very best DSLR's. You will find plenty of debate around the web comparing the NEX system and the M43 system but both will provide a high quality alternative to a DSLR. While some people focus on size for me the key advantages are weight - a lot easier to carry all day than an SLR - and the fact that people generally - who find themselves in the frame - find these cameras less 'threatening' than SLRs.
  4. Abdelrhman Zaghloul

Abdelrhman Zaghloul TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2011
    well I'm a DSLR user I don't have a NEX camera yet, but I,m thinking about one as small in size
    just throw a 16mm lens on it and you have a compact camera with a DSLR performance
    if you are used to the viewfinder you can buy the NEX optical viewfinder for about $200
    try one for yourself so you can decide.
  5. carpandean

carpandean New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    A couple of corrections:
    APS-C is only 1.68 x the size of 4/3 (also m4/3, since it's the same sensor)
    APS-C is only 43% (less than half) the size of a 35mm frame.

FF = 864mm^2
    APS-C = 370mm^2
    4/2 = 225mm^2

Note: Canon's APS-C is actually smaller (329mm^2)
  6. Knikki

Knikki TalkEmount Rookie

Well I have been and still shoot SLR, DSLR, Medium Format, Rangefinder, Zone Focusing cameras for some time now and I have just bought a Sony Nex.

The biggest difference is learning to hold the camera again. Because you hold the camera further away from you body I find it a little more difficult to hold it steady. Having said that I am quickly learning and really enjoy using the camera.

As for 'preferred option for situations that won't allow DSLRs?..' I don't know I have not come across a situation like that yet.
  7. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I've just sold off my DSLR and ordered the NEX-5N twin lens kit.

Cheers, Macjim.
  8. Henry Peach

Henry Peach TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2011
    KS, USA
    I have been primarily shooting with DSLRs for the last 5 or 6 years. Much of the shooting that I would do with a compact camera would be in low light, so I've been waiting for an affordable APS-C format compact. The high ISO quality of any format smaller than that hasn't been satisfactory. I went with a NEX-3, because it's also important to me that my compact camera be affordable, and have been shooting if for a few months. It has been a joy in the situations where I've always wanted a compact, but felt like I had to carry a DSLR: family activities, wandering around, out and about with friends, etc.... It's not going to replace my DSLRs for most of my personal and client work.
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I think this about covers it. The NEX is a great camera, and I highly recommend it for the majority of people However, I know that it compromises a few things in order to be compact. The NEX-7 is a bit of a step up and an attempt to appeal to a more demanding crowd.

However for the rest of us who simply are looking to take some family pictures, a few stills and what ever else comes our way, the NEX is a great option.