Good deal on these canon lenses or bad? Also you can help me identify them

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jun 27, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    These guy is selling a Canon AE1 with two lenses and some rolls of film for $200 OBO. He is not into photography so he told me to offer what I think is fair.
    I see a 85-300mm which I want so much but looks to be the FL not the FD one.
    I cannot tell what the other lens is.
    Any ideas on what they are and prices? He will sent me a pic later so I want to be prepared on what to offer if you guys can Identify them.

Attached Files:

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    These look like 'new' FD lenses to me,....both have the small button on teh aperture ring for setting to the AE setting which allows later canon cameras internal light meter to take over the iris diaphragm in the lens for fully automatic metering.......As far as i remember, FL lenses did not have provision for AE photography.

The lens attached to camera is almost certainly the 50mm f1.8 that was supplied with the camera when new. This is a reasonably sharp performer combined with light weight. It's not a valuable lens as regards cost, can check Ebay to see what they go for. On a NEX it will be a short telephoto comparable to 75mm on film camera (135, or 35mm)

The photo is not too clear so I can't read the aperture numbers on the zoom,....the 85 to 300 WAS made in FL with apertures f5 and later f4.5...but, this looks like FDn lens to me. The two versions in FD included an earlier 'SSC' (supercoated) model but that should hae the bright metal locking ring of the first range of FD lenses which your lens does not have so looks later (unless it's not a Canon lens but an 'OEM' make) It will give equiv. to 130 to 450mm on the NEX. Again look at Ebay for both comparisons and prices.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I got a bigger picture and the aperture shows 5 as the highest for the 85-300mm. I was hoping for a 4.5 on it. Not sure if it happens to be the FL if it is really worth buying it. :)
  4. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Looking at your pic and just doing a few quick searches, are you sure that's a Canon 85-300? It looks VERY similar to a Canon FD mount "HANIMEX AUTO ZOOM" I found on ebay. All of the 85-300 FD lenses i'm seeing are 4.5.

5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    No much detail to gone on with the current photos but I don't think the 85-300 is a Canon may have a Canon compatible mount, but don't believe it's a Canon made lens.
    Personally I'd be very careful buying something like that unless you're getting it for "$40-$50" or something and just wanted to see.
  6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yep it was not a Canon lens indeed so no deal for me.
    Thanks guys!
  7. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    No problem! If it were the Canon FD 3.5 it would have been a heluva deal!