1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good C-Mount Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jen Watson, May 1, 2013.

1. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    I love the idea of using C-mount primes, because they're so small and compact. I don't have the camera yet, but I plan on purchasing a NEX-3N for upcoming trips this summer (can't be weighed down by bulky DSLR gear). Any well-liked bang-for-your-buck C-mount lenses, or ones with surprisingly decent optics? Even as toy lenses, you can't beat the price ;).

Also.. Can you go wrong with C-mount adapters? Will any of the cheapo $10 ebay adapters cause focusing problems? Any adapters confirmed to have infinity focus?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The problem with most C-Mount lenses is that they are designed for Super 16mm sensors, which are much smaller than the Super 35mm (or APS-C) sensors in NEX cameras. So you'll get a huge amount of vignetting out of any of them. And yeah, they are fun, but I hardly use my Fujian 35mm lens because of the baaad focus ring, so I personally wouldn't recommend C-Mount lenses. Get some old Minolta primes instead, they're much better and not that expensive either.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Yes, they can go wrong. Out of 3 adapters I only have one that will allow focus to infinity. Unfortunately that's the "fat" one that won't allow many lenses to mount.

Vignetting will be a big problem. I have a wide selection and don't have any that will cover the full frame. When I used them for M43 some did. On the NEX, they don't. Here's a sample of the best covering lens I've tried.

http://www.lenshoard.com/images/Fujian 50mm F1.4 C/sample.JPG

Also, they aren't that small. They are thin but long. A 16mm or the 16-50mm pancake make a smaller package overall.

4. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    dang, that's some intense vignetting lol. I've heard that almost all 35mm don't produce enough vignetting to warrant cropping, so I'd at least get one of those. I think it's much harder to get a 50mm or 25mm CCTV lens that doesn't require cropping. Some do seem to exist though; I've heard of a few 50mm 1.4's or 1.8's, but I can't find any brand info..

Even if I did have to crop, I'd love to get one with that interesting 'swirly' bokeh (like this) :). Thanks for the head's up about the adapters!

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    C-mount lenses are made for different sensors/films. There are ones for 1" that should work with Nex. Like that one:
    Pentax C22525KP 1" C Mount 25mm f/1.4 Manual Iris C22525KP

I couldn't find any samples and as APS-C is roughly 1" in length it would need roughly 1.4" image circle to cover the whole sensor.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is not traditional vignetting. Their image circle is small so no light at all to the dark part.