Golden Hour and deep shadows

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Oct 10, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    This evening I returned to one of my favorite stomping grounds for some Golden Hour pics with my 5R and MD 28/2.8, which is a fantastic landscape lens with great color and contrast. I focused on getting shots with strong shadows and contrast.

Tony

DSC08442v01_zps60a9e1fe.

DSC08447v01_zps62deec9e.

DSC08449v01_zps07f3101a.

DSC08451v01_zps4e793c83.

• Like Like x 6
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like the 2nd one.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks David. I think that one does have the best balance, luminosity-speaking.

Tony

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I might have elevated the camera by about 1/3 to eliminate the dark foreground, and not chop off the top of the tree, or maybe tried to lighten the foreground in PP or something, but I like the shadows cast by the hay bales, and the light on the clump of tall grass.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yeah, I could have raised the camera a bit to get the top of the tree, but I was trying to capture the darker foreground on purpose. We artists are a funny bunch, eh? :) I agree on the hay bales and tall grass; the way the light was playing off them is what caught my eye in the first place.

Tony

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You said it, Tony! I think shooting for your own pleasure (and taste) is what makes us keep picking up the camera.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Absolutely!