• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Going to use the Helios Lens this Saturday...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have been invited to shoot the German American Clubs of San Diego Oktoberfest on Saturday the 28th of September.

Last time I was there, I did a few shots with the Helios mounted on my A6500... This time, I plan on using it on an A7iii. Supposedly the spiral bokeh is stronger when you use the Helios on a full frame camera... Here's a shot with the Helios from the Oktoberfest last year...
https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/OKTOBERFEST-2018-EL-CAJON/i-D7LHR5v

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I have been invited to shoot the German American Clubs of San Diego Oktoberfest on Saturday the 28th of September.

Last time I was there, I did a few shots with the Helios mounted on my A6500... This time, I plan on using it on an A7iii. Supposedly the spiral bokeh is stronger when you use the Helios on a full frame camera... Here's a shot with the Helios from the Oktoberfest last year...
https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/OKTOBERFEST-2018-EL-CAJON/i-D7LHR5v
I assume you mean a Helios 44, but there are other Helios lenses - I have a Helios 135 & a Helios 1000mm telescope. :)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep! I did mean the Helios 44-4. I have a couple of 135mm Legacy lenses but they are not Helios. They are the Meyer Optik Gorlitz Orestor f/2.8, the Sears Auto f/2.8 and the Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar f/3.5. Each of these lenses has its own special attributes. The Sears Auto f/2.8 is the one that I like the least since it has the least distinctive rendition. However I paid only eleven dollars for that lens.
For people shooting, I like the Orestor adapted with a Kiron Focal Reducer to my APSC Sony cameras the best. With the Kiron reducer I am shooting with an equivalent 135mm (the reducer removes the crop factor from the equation) f/2.0 lens...
Meyer 135mm lens test_0623 - Copy.jpg
ILCE-6500    ----       f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 320

The Orestor is not exactly knife sharp but, is very nice for female portraits as it minimized post processing to remove flaws n the skin...

Top Bottom