1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Going to Cambridge (the original); what to pack

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MAubrey, Jul 6, 2015.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

So I have room for bringing to complimentary systems with me in my new Lowepro Nova Sport 35L. I always try to keep things simple and practical.

I am most certainly bringing my Sony A7 as one system. *Probably* with the following lenses (advice welcome--cf. the lenses in my signiture):

Sony A7:
    Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6
    Canon FDn 20-35mm f/3.5L
    Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2
    Canon FDn 85mm f/1.2L

The second camera is the main question, however.

Taking up roughly the same amount of space in the bag, I could either bring:

Olympus OM-D E-M5:
    Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6 (comparing the 9-18mm to the 20-35mm has been on the to-do list for a while)
    Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4
    Olympus 75mm f/1.8

OR

Mamiya M645 1000s:
    Mamiya Sekor C 80mm f/1.9

So digital micro four thirds vs. medium format film (Fuji Neopan). One slows me down even further from the manual focus on digital one provides me with much more convenience. One is very practical, compact and lightweight and the other is, well, heavy and awesome.

I really can't decide and I leave on Wednesday.

Opinions anyone?

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have unhelpful opinions! Take them all! But

Take the A7, with both Voigtlanders! Skip the Canons.

Take the E-M5 and just the 25mm F1.4. Good for when you are too drunk to focus.

Take the Mamiya. Yes you want that. Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

I don't know how much I can get away with drinking (unfortunately). I need to be sober enough to present my paper (I'm at Cambridge for a conference) and I don't think I can do without a telephoto. Maybe I drop the 75mm, keep the 85L and slip a Canon to μ43 adapter in the bag...Hmmm. Granted that only saves a slight amount of weight/space. I'm sort of regretting selling the 20mm f/1.7 pancake now.

Or I just be honest with myself and admit that the M645 is simply too bulky to justify for a six day trip.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Cambridge sucks there's nothing to photograph there!

Hehe just kidding... I live in Oxford so our great rivals are ehm... uncannily similar actually. I would bring the widest lens I have, and even a shift lens if you can. Lots of narrow streets but beautiful buildings within so wide is helpful. The long lens seems a little less useful. I know I have seen people with gigantic 70-200s walking around both cities but I am unsure whether they actually get interesting shots. Maybe if you're into gargoyle/architectural detail, but compositionally they're kind of boring (you don't get much choice with street level compositions). I would say go A7+Voigtlanders+Canon 20-35 (forget the 85, you'll thank me) and then OMD + 25 +75 (emergency) and you are basically set. I know nothing about medium format but I struggle to think of things that would be markedly improved shooting that particular camera that the A7 couldn't do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think that's a lot of gear for a 6 day business trip - unless the plan is to skip the business part :D

6. MAubrey

Academic conferences are hardly business. We're a bunch of nerdy academics giving papers on the grammatical structure of dead languages and enjoying whisky in the evenings. And the conference is only two days, the rest of the time, I'll be doing photography and catching up with a couple friends.

Maybe I could drop the Olympus kit entirely. I can replace the 25mm with the Contax G 45mm, which has AF. Then the longest lens I have is the 85mm, which is is for portraiture/documentary stuff at the conference itself. Now I can pack the Mamiya in it's stead. The Mamiya is purely for the pleasure of the immersive experience. It's a joy to shoot and an equal joy to develop the film when I get home. The moment I did my first roll I was addicted.

7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Actually, don't be so quick to throw out the OMD + 75. It could be the perfect combo to hand to a friend to catch you giving a presentation (unless you are presenting in really really tiny rooms). I imagine a random person wouldn't know how to help you shoot the 85/1.2 :)

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Oh it's 6 days? I thought you were going to study there. Which is why I assumed there'd be drinking.

Maybe the medium format is a bit much then.

• Like Like x 1