Going BW...best way.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Am old film shooter gone digital...use ancient PS(6) And have been changing to BW by using color channels, changed to zero or green...and then messing with them with other software, sometimes.

Am I wacked? Do I need decent printer? (Been going to local TGT for cheap or Kodak machine elsewhere...we lost our only custom shop...small town....small minds?

Am slowly backing into RAW as we learn.

Also, if in wrong thread, I apologize...clueless...just went off the weekly notification to get here.

I am dim, I know, so any help will not fall on "deef" ears!

Last edited:

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
Google used to publish an editing suite called the NIK collection. It started out at $150, then went to free. Now DXO owns it and promises to release an updated version this year. One of the better parts of the suite was Silver Effects Pro, an excellent editor for converting to black and white.

This website still offers the original Google free download: Google Nik Collection 1.2.11

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
In PS I found the nicest BW conversion on a JPEG to be:
  1. Change the image from RGB to LAB
  2. Select the Luminance layer and duplicate it to a new document
  3. Convert the mode of the new document to GRAYSCALE
If you’re shooting RAW then whatever converter you’re using will do a lovely job. I recommend Capture One Pro because they offer a Sony specific version that only cost $50 (that, and it’s a darn good tool).

I’ve used a Nik Silver Effex Pro and Tonality CC (I use OSX for all my photo stuff). Silver Efex Pro is currently free, available for OSX and Windows and works fine. I find the UI pretty dated but you can’t argue with the results. That said, I prefer Tonality CC. Not sure what it’s future is with the release of Skylum’s (formerly Macphun) Luminar. They haven’t updated Tonality in quite a while and it doesn’t seem to be included in their latest lineup of tools. I suspect that because BW conversion is built into Luminar they are moving away from their stand alone tools.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Newst and Dixeyk, Thanks. Might have those downloaded on desker...will have to look. Fairly sure I have Silver Efex too. Using P-shop out of old habit...have to load programs.

Seems the NIK stuff was freeware, but been a few months. Will do later. Thanks...all I need? Plus some RAW shots. Like later spring today...might venture forth.

Just bought Capture One!

Last edited:

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Newst and Dixeyk, Thanks. Might have those downloaded on desker...will have to look. Fairly sure I have Silver Efex too. Using P-shop out of old habit...have to load programs.

Seems the NIK stuff was freeware, but been a few months. Will do later. Thanks...all I need? Plus some RAW shots. Like later spring today...might venture forth.

Just bought Capture One!
The Sony version of Capture One Pro is a tremendous bargain. I like it a lot more than I ever liked Lightroom.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom