Godox TT685s and AD600TTL with Sony A7RII

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dmward, Apr 24, 2016.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    HERE is an evaluation I posted on my website. It covers the just released Godox TT685s speedlite and AD600TTL battery powered strobe.

If you're looking for TTL lighting to use with a Sony camera that has a multi-function shoe, this may be the answer.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Good review.

Maybe you will have to put the tt685s on top of the X1T-S inorder to get TTL and manual off camera.

I have the X1T-S - it works fine although it is a little fiddly to use in 5 Group operation and much easier when set to 3 Groups.

I looked at the ad600b in the shop but I am worried about it being top heavy on a stand outside with a modifier attached. So I decided to wait for the shop to get a H600B to see if that balances better.

3. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The X1Ts and V860IIs are supposed to arrive today for testing. I'll be able to do some serious capabilities evaluation starting Thursday.

4. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I received a beta version X1Ts yesterday afternoon.
    Did some testing this morning, then spent half an hour on a Video conference with Edward Tang and a couple of others going through the various capabilities to confirm that they work as expected.

The X1Ts supports 5 Groups. Any of the groups can be TTL or Manual. Once they are set, there is a feature that permits changing the power of all the groups. i.e. if two groups are TTL and two are Manual. Using the feature all can be increased or decreased in power. So, 1 EV up changes the TTL groups 1 FEC up and the manual groups I EV up.

I also determined that the FEC on the X1T and the FEC in the camera are additive. So, -3 EV on the X1Ts and + 3 EV on the camera are a 0EV exposure.

If camera FEC is adjusted with some groups in TTL and some in M only the TTL groups change.

The bad news, for me, is that the hot shoe on top of the X1Ts is only for center pin x sync. Its not a multi-function shoe. The good news it, that placing an X system speedlite in the shoe and assigning it to a Gr as a slave means it can be controlled by the X1Ts just like any other slave.

More to come when I have a chance to write it all up and put it on my site.

• Like Like x 3
  5. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    David, did you notice that the X1TS has two different UIs. You switch between them by holding down the 'ok' button for 5 seconds. It seems to me the 'non-default' one is more intuitive (especially true if you have the X1TS set to 3 Groups) - I like the way the position of each group on the screen doesnt move and therefore is easier to match up with your lights.

I also read your piece on the initial findings of the ad600ttl. It sort of confirmed by initial bias that ttl wasnt inherently that useful on a flash like this (especially as the manual version has HSS). Anyways I have gone ahead and ordered the AD600BM with H600B.

6. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I use 5 Groups. I did notice the options, but didn't take the time to check the second one.

The TTL feature on the 600 is a matter of preference. I think its worth the extra money to have it available. Especially since it will go lower than 1/256th power in TTL.

7. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Two Sony variant X1T controllers arrived today.
    They were shipped from a source in China as soon as they were available there.
    They have V12 firmware which is the same version firmware in the X1T I have been testing for Edward at Cheetah Stand. The positive result of that testing was Edward saying he would contact Godox to release the Sony variant X1T for production.

So, those who ordered from Amazon and other off shore sources, check to see that V12 firmware is installed in the Sony variant X1T and you should be good to go.

8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Guys I am lost when it comes to this new flashes.
    I have Yongnuo manual 560 with the remote trigger on my A7Rii.
    The reason I have been considering a TTL amd HSS flash is because for example at a wedding, I would love to be able to quickly use the flash having it use TTL instead of trial and error shooting to find the correct power level.

Is this flash TTL able to get me a close to correct exposure at least? Does it work if I use a diffuser or bounce it?

Is the HSS good enough to use outside say with a 135mm F2.0 while still exposing for the background?

I was considering one 685 with the X1T transmitter unless you guys have other recommendations.
    Thanks!

9. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Yup I have 3 x X1T-S all with firmware 12. All seem to work well.

10. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I have been using TTL speedlites for weddings for years. They bounce, can be used off camera with proper control, i.e. the TT685 as master or the X1Ts as master. Once they were available I used the Nissin Air Commander system for TTL with Sony. They work well and I've been happy with them. The Godox X system just raises the game to a new level. The AD600TTL offers me a battery powered strobe that can deliver from 2.5 to 600 Ws of light. With its TTL capabilities and HSS its a great option for outside fill with sun. A good example is the image I used to illustrate the summary page on my blog. HERE. It was taken just after noon. The sun is apparent from the shadow. The fill was from an AD600TTL, with a 24" octabox. It was shot with the new Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM at F2.8, ISO 100, Av shutter. I think the shutter ended up being about 1/2000.

• Like Like x 1
  11. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    I have some Yongnuo 560 and YN-TX-560 transmitter they are good flashes. TTL is very useful imho when you have the flash on camera and the distance between the camera and the subject is changing constantly. It is 'automatic metering' so it isnt perfect by any means but gets you there or there abouts.

It works by the flash sending a pre-flash (before the main flash), the camera reads the amount of light and then sets the power of the main flash. Therefore it should work with bounce or a modifier.

I dont think HSS would work particular well with a 135 f2 outside. If the flash cant provide enough flash at the max sync speed (say of 1/250) it wont be able to in HSS. That is because every stop you increase the shutter speed over the x-sync speed reduces the power of the flash one stop. With a 135 outside you are likely to be too far and the ambient too bright for HSS to be of much use.

The 685s is a fine upgrade on the YN560. It is roughly the same size, power and recycle time of the yn560 but with HSS/TTL. However, for weddings you might consider waiting a month or so for the v860iis. This is essentially a 685s with a lithium battery inside (as opposed to 4xAA) which is good for 650 shots and halves the recycle time - at a price premium of US$50. I think David is expecting to receive one for testing any day now

12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent although the AD600TTL is out side the price range I am looking for at this point of time. Not possible to get usable performance outdoors with one or maybe two of the 865s of camera and a diffuser as fill in flash?
    Looks at least for weddings a mounted 685 with its TTL will do what I need for that type of event indoors.

Thanks!

13. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I've used an on-camera speedlite with TTL and HSS as fill light a lot outside. Even with bright sun. Also, with a light off camera on a stand. The key is not to use modifiers that absorb the light. Outside in the sun people expect to see shadows with sharp edges. So don't work about it.

You can go to Gallery Index and look through the portfolios. Just about every image that was shot outside had fill flash. Mostly from speedlites.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    So a seller just accepted my offer for the Godox TT685S 2.4G HSS Wireless TTL Flash + X1S"
    Do I want to make sure it is running firmware V12 before he sends it?

15. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    That's easier than updating it via Windows when it arrives. The first release X1Ts will have V12. There are no updates on the Godox website. The TT685s also has no updates on the Godox download site.

Considering that, its reasonably save to assume that the devices have the current firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well as far as i understood from the seller (language barrier) they want to send me the link for the file to update it myself when I get it. Is it really that hard for me to do it?
    Thanks

17. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    No.
    When you get it first check the firmware. I think all the Sony variant devices are working as they should with the first version of the firmware that Godox installed. i.e. V12 for the X1Ts, V2.2 for the AD600, TT685s is V1.6 and V860IIs is V1.0. I don't know what is the proper version for the AD360II since I don't have one to check.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Ok all I just got this in. Godox TT686s with the XT1s transmitter. Both the transmitter and the flash talk to each other just fine however the A7rii won't trigger it unless it's on TTL. Even then it does it doesn't sync correctly as the flash fires way before the shutter releases. Manual mode is a no go. Have no ideal how to get it to HSS unless it's mounted on camera and even then I see no way to select it as an option. PLEASE HELP. Hoping to use this on Friday at a wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Make sure the camera is NOT in wireless mode. It has to be in one of the other flash modes for the speedlite and X1Ts to work in the hot shoe. If you do have it in an appropriate flash mode, make sure the flash or X1Ts are properly seated in the MF shoe and that there is no dirt or lint keeping proper contact from occurring.

20. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Awesome. I will try this as soon as I get home. I assumed it needed to be in wireless because the Nissin system had to be. Thought it would be the same. Thank you so much.