1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Go on a Safari - which lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ArnoNym, May 16, 2016.

1. ArnoNym

ArnoNym New to TalkEmount

May 16, 2016
    Hi folks i am new to that forum and i need help ;-)

I go on a Safari (Tansania) I am not sure which lenses i should take with me.

I wanna use my A7ii and my A6000

my lenses are:

Sigma MC11 Adapter + Sigma 150-600m Contempoary
    24-240mm FE
    Zeiss Batis 85mm F 1,8
    Sony/Zeiss 35mm F 1,4 FE
    Voigtländer 15mm Heliar - E-Mount
    Samyang 50mm F 1.2 - E-Mount APS-C Size

Which shall i take. Especially which primes?

I think the Sigmatele lens is in any case in my bag aslike the the 15mm Voigtländer...

What else? Any suggestions?

Thx

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's been more than 20 years since I went on Safari (Tanzania and Kenya), but I can't remember a single instance where I would have used any of the primes in your list. OK, maybe the 15mm for some awesome sunset landscapes. But if I were packing, I'd take the Sigma and the 24-240 and call it good. There may be one or two times where the 35, 50, or 85 would work better than the 24-240. But do you really want to haul around all that weight, and risk damage and/or loss of those lenses for those one or two times?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No personal experience with a safari in that locale, but my sense is that most shots in such a setting would be long distance.
    Assuming that's correct, on such a rare trip I'd take 2 bodies and 2 lenses for backup in the event of a hardware failure.
    You're taking 2 bodies so from your list, the lenses "I" would take would be:
    150-600m and 24-240mm FE.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome! Sounds like a nice adventure ahead of you!
    The zooms for sure, big Sigma on the A7ii, and the 24-240 on the a6000.
    15mm for landscapes.
    The other 3 are heavy primes. Unless you anticipate a lot of portraits, indoors, or blue hour shoots, I'd skip them and have a smaller sized prime for inconspicuous shooting with the a6000. A 35 f/2.8 or 28 f/2.

Looking forward to your shots upon your return!

5. ArnoNym

May 16, 2016
    Thx mates for your advices and tipp so far - thank you. I am going to Tanzania... by the way.

My idea of taking primes like the 35mm F1.4 and the Batis 85 (forget the samyang) is for image quality and the ability to shoot in bad light conditions.

Some of my friends went to the nogorongo crater and they sad that the animals are so near that you have problems with more than 120mm. Ok that were the 24-240mm comes in handy but think about shooting a nice animal with a 85mm fast prime... Images gonna be super sharp.

The 35mm 1.4 could be a successor for milkyway shoots... ?!

You know normally it doesn't take so long to decide which lens to take. But in this special situation "going on a safari for 2 weeks after hiking the kilimandscharo " is something different ;-)

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You make good arguments for bringing along those primes, Arno. And as I recall most safari "drives" happened at sunrise and sunset, when most animals are active, so the the light will be a challenge.

I stayed a night in a tent down in Ngorogoro crater, and your friends are right that some animals come close.

But if you're anything like me, you'll want to get the closeup of the flies swarming around the rhino's eyes as well as the sweeping vistas. And in between long periods of boredom, suddenly everything changes, and I bet the last thing you'll want to be doing is swapping lenses.

Plus, if you're climbing Kilimanjaro, I bet you'll be happier with less weight, especially when you're nearing that summit.

And yeah, I know. You'll leave the primes behind, and then one day you'll see the perfect portrait of some Masai herder, lit and framed just so, but you won't have that Batis 85 with you because I talked you out of it. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Take the Batis then!! I'd leave out the Samyang too. The 35 is more useful, and on the a6000, you'll have the 50mm FOV. Safe journeys!

8. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I would take the telezoom and the 35mm lens.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yup, 150-600 and 35mm. 24-240 in a pinch.

In Tz you get very close to the animals in general, but then there's always birds (especially if you go to Ngorongoro, where you don't get so close to the crater lakes). I don't actually think the 85mm will be long enough for many of your best animal shots. I would say between 120-300mm is the ideal focal length for big game, and then as much as you can get for birds.

One thing is you don't want to change lenses out on safari. So, if you can keep the 35mm for night time, put the 24-240 on the A6000 and the 150-600 on the A7ii. If you find yourself shooting a lot of birds, switch the lenses around the next day (this is assuming the Sigma adapter plays nice with the A6000, I have no idea actually).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ArnoNym

May 16, 2016
    Yes Sigma Adpater (MC-11) works even better with the a6000 in terms of focusing speed; and the Stabilstations of the lens is very good. So i will get the extra APS-C - Crop reach with the A6000. (225mm-900mm) with the Sigma 150-600mm

11. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'd put the 150-600 on the A6000 for a 225-900 range, which just overlaps and mainly extends the 24-240 on the A7ii. Got the entire range covered without switching lenses.

Don't know what kind of prime you'd need, but wouldn't hurt taking something that could handle a low light situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ArnoNym

May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I saw the shot taken with the Batis....outstanding, definitely take it with you. ;)

14. ArnoNym

May 16, 2016
    Lol ok... Another lens in my back.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BYarger

BYarger New to TalkEmount

Feb 10, 2016
    Robert Yarger
    A question about the Sigma 150-600, please? Which mount is that lens - Canon? I have the MC-11 as well for Canon mounts.

16. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I believe it is available in Canon, Nikon, and Sigma mounts. So it depends on which version you have/buy.

17. BYarger

BYarger New to TalkEmount

Feb 10, 2016
    Robert Yarger
    I meant - is your Sigma 150-600 a Canon or Nikon mount? Thanks.