1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gives new meaning to "Hanging by a thread".....(in this case 2 threads)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 2, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Saw this leaf blowing around, back and forth several feet away from the nearest tree…investigated and saw that it was hanging down from a tree limb on a 10 foot pair of spider web strands.

Constantly blowing, swinging, twisting around…side light from the sun lit up the dried orange color…had to learn its movements as best I could and it still took me several shots to get one even sort of close to being a keeper.

Canon FDn 200/2.8 (Helicoid), NEX-7, AP mode, Daylight WB, Spot Metering, ISO100, 1/320, F2.8

• Like Like x 8
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Fun shot, should have taken a vid as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, what I saw was a challenge to make a good still shot under very testy conditions.
    To do that, I had to get 4 things to come together at the same time:

Throw the distracting background out of focus to place full emphasis on the leaf being suspended in midair;
    Freeze the leaf’s movement in its windblown swing with the 2 strands perpendicular straight up & down;
    And at the same time, get the shot when the leaf was also turned just right for the color to show;
    And at the same time get the shot so it was in focus...(it didn't just blow back and forth in the same exact track of course)

The end result ‘looks’ like a simple snapshot of a leaf hanging still…but it actually took (me) a fair amount of time & effort.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I like how the leaf is lit up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, I think that helped make the shot... I set the tripod up so the late afternoon sun was coming from my left front 45* angle into the side & back of the leaf and whenever the leaf revolved a certain way so it's colored side turned towards the camera, the sunlight lit it up from behind.
    I was satisfied with the outcome, given the challenge...my learning curve with manual lenses on my NEX-7 is still mostly vertical, LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Its surprising how some shots look so simple yet actually took a fair effort to accomplish.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I've been using manual lenses on my NEX-7 for over a year now. The tri-nav, focus peaking and focus peak are amazing tools once you get accustomed to them. Every time I seriously consider going to the A6000, the lack of those tools stops me.

Thanks again for taking and sharing! One of the things I love about photography is being able to capture and share an awesome image that you may never see again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, the NEX-7 has some good features and is all the camera I need for my retirement hobby...had mine a little over a year now too. It does seem like the menus could have been a little better organized / more intuitive, but once figured out it's not an issue.
    Reason I jumped on the NEX-7 was because It would let me put my entire 1980's Canon FDn inventory back into operation,a and I've also added a couple lenses...this leaf I shot was with an FDn 200/2.8 that I just got a couple days ago...IQ & bokeh both seem pretty good on it. Initial reaction was to send it back because it has the "Helicoid Focusing Mechanism" like my FDn Macro lenses, taking more rotation of the focusing collar to get fine tuned, but after using it I like it enough to keep it...don't shoot fast action stuff anyway.