Given the price, is the NEX-7 really a viable option

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Duncan Payne, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Duncan Payne

Duncan Payne New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    I have been looking into the NEX series of cameras for some time - pretty much since the first ones were released, but the main thing that has kept me away is the lack of flash / hotshoe mount. The NEX-7, however, seems to be a real game changer in this area, in the fact that it has both a mounted flash, as well as a hotshoe. This camera ticks all the right boxes, and with the addition of the translucent-mirror adapter, blows me away in terms of the new technology.

Having said all that, however, it would seem as though the price point of the camera plus standard kit lens would place the camera just under the cost of the A77. When you add the cost of the translucent-mirror adapter, I imagine this camera will in fact cost more than the A77.

So I feel as though Sony has answered all my needs in the NEX-7, but given the high price point, I just can't imagine buying it. I'm interested to know what others think on this issue.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think if you're going to get the adapter and use a lot of A mount lenses, it makes more sense to get the SLT camera from the outset. Much better value.

However, if you're looking for a smaller solution and can live with E mount and adapted lenses, the NEX-7 is also a good value. Compare it to the mirrorless competition, and price-wise it comes in a bit above the E-P3 and GH2 while arguably packing more cutting-edge technology than either of those cameras.
  3. Duncan Payne

Duncan Payne New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    It certainly does pack more technology, but given that I already shoot with an SLR, I'm not sure the extra that it packs is enough to justify that price. For example, if the NEX-3 had a hotshoe mount, I would be more likely to buy that instead of the much more feature-rich NEX-7.
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Man, times have changed. I remember back when Nikon announced the D70 and everyone "flipped out" over how INSANELY CHEAP it was with the kit lens ... a meager $1,299 with kit lens.

The NEX-7 with kit lens is a WAY better camera than the D70 and I can say that with confidence even though I haven't used the NEX-7 yet and we've only seen image samples from the A77. I pre-ordered the NEX-7 with kit lens after 48 hours of debating the pros/cons in my head.

Although the new translucent mirror adapter is a nice option for adding A-mount lenses, I'm going to be using native E-mount lenses or small legacy primes adapted to the E-mount rather than the bulky A-mount adapter and A-mount lenses. I have little doubt that by the end of 2012 Sony and third party lens makers will offer 90-95% of all the lenses that I want for the E-mount ... negating the need for an expensive translucent mirror adapter and A-mount lenses.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It is interesting to see how Sony's NEX lines have evolved. I'm guessing that very few people care a bit about having an integrated EVF or hotshoe, hence those being omitted from all the "affordable" NEX cameras.
  6. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    I think of the NEX 7 as being in the same class as the Fuji X100, an enthusiast camera, and I think the price is acceptable for that. That being said, I can't afford either of them!
  7. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    The problem with the NEX-7 is it is dearer than the X100 and is body only too. So, you'll need to include a lens into the price (£800 for the Zeiss!) in saying that, it'll be a better camera than the X100 as it's not a fixed lens. The X100 is more compact so it depends on what your wanting out of a camera.

Cheers, Macjim.
  8. Djarum

Djarum TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    True, but does Sony have to leave the control of the NEX-5 so dumbed down? I guess what I'm saying is that for me, the NEX-5 would have been a much nicer camera for me if it had more buttons or at the very least, a verticle thumbwheel. The NEX-7 has a much better way of control, but at a much higher pricetag. Sony could put a hurting on the E-P3 if there was a model sitting at the E-P3 price range that had really good controls.
  9. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Yup, it could have been a bit less dumbed down but I think adding more buttons and controls would have made it larger and more complex. It's a compromise that I can live with for now. One day I'll get the NEX-7, or a Leica M9, but it'll do for now.
    PS. Now if Sony had made the NEX-7 come with a zoom lens at that price or, if it was more affordable them all the better but at £1,000 plus, plus the £800 more for that Zeiss lens is steep.

Cheers, Macjim.
  10. jlabate

jlabate TalkEmount Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    I wish the price of the NEX-7 was a bit lower but it doesn't seem an outrageous price to ask when compared to similar offerings by other brands. At this point it has class-leading features.
  11. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I preordered the NEX-7 the day it was announced but as time goes on I am less certain that I will actually buy it. It looks to have everything I want in a camera but I'm not sure I can actually afford it. The extra controls are nice and I am really interested in the EVF, but to be honest I have never found the controls of the NEX cameras available now to be bad at all. In fact, I like the NEX controls better than I liked those of my GF-1. For some reason I just find them more intuitive. For that reason I beginning to think I might just stay with my NEX-3 for now and see about upgrading to the 5N next year. Perhaps by that time I could also afford the external EVF to go along with it.
  12. daremoshiranai

daremoshiranai New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2011
    Image quality wise, the NEX-5N ($599) is equal to or perhaps better than the Nikon D7000 ($1200) I own. The latest Olympus EP3 is $900. Although I wish they hadn't gone to 24mp with the NEX-7 they are shipping a compact format camera with the image quality of much larger dslrs for the same price. Sure it would be nice if these cameras were cheaper, but the market decides the price. Leica has no issues selling M9's. Fuji has no problems selling a $1200 point and shoot.
  13. JJJPhoto

Aug 8, 2011
    I think you just hit the nail on the head. The fact that the NEX-7 has been a huge pre-order success on suggests that it's more than just a "viable option" at its current price point. People are buying it ... or at least pre-ordering it.
  14. Ross

Ross TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2011
  15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

I think the whole idea is to give the buyer options.

I imagine that the 5N will be the big seller, with the 7 being available for those with a bit more cash to spend.
  16. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Theres big chat about NEX 7 on many sites across the net and the high price is getting a lot of attention, however I have seen no mention of the fact that NEX7 is currently a unique camera with virtually no competitors as yet apart from possible the Samsung NX200. Sony knows that they have this unique item and have priced accordingly with respect to the masses who will jump buy,....but also to th efact that there ARE several other similar cameras in the pipeline from some big and important players (Nikon and Leica amongst others) When the real innovation starts Sony will doubtless drop the NEX prices dramatically to keep them competitive and have PLANNED to do so.
  17. JJJPhoto

Aug 8, 2011
    "Justify the price"??? In that same 5N review from Steve Huff he kept talking about the NEX-7 in every other paragraph and he mentioned two or more times that he REALLY recommends that you buy the $350 EVF for the 5N if you decide to buy the 5N. The price of the NEX-5N with lens combined with the EVF comes to just under the price of the NEX-7. Sure, the limits of the high ISO performance in the NEX-7 is an unknown at this point, but we know it allows you to use EVF and flash at the same time (something the 5N can't do), it has better controls (many NEX users--including me--consistently complain about the menu-centric controls on the current NEX cameras) and the NEX-7 should have better build quality.

If, however, you don't care about the EVF, don't care about better controls, and don't care about flash then the 5N does indeed make perfect sense over a NEX-7.
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Once you set the custom buttons, it's a lot more intuitive than it seems at first try. Pushing the center button brings up a mode dial. I have the lower custom button set to bring up ISO. There's a button by default for exposure compensation, and I have the other custom button (right push on the dial) set to bring up AF area. Pretty much all the functions I use often are a single button push away.
  19. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Just read in the AP (UK) mag this week that the expected price here will be £1000.body and £1100 with black kit lens in the UK, the mag will do a reveiw next weeks issue.
    Seems expensive but look at the price of the DSLR's not the entry models I expect the NEX 7 to be far better than them; whatever the lens used.
  20. allofthelights

allofthelights TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    I agree with most of your analysis. For myself, this becomes somewhat of a dilemma. There are very few features in Nex-7 I need that aren't present in the 5N. However, I think the EVF would come in handy, and for aesthetic and simplistic reasons I would prefer it integrated in the body. Should I choose the cheaper 5N, I can add the EVF (and to be fair, as it-s tilting it offers slightly better functionality than in Nex-7), but at an atrocious price (half the price of the camera), a pricepoint I suspect is chosen partly to protect sales of the Nex-7.

Good move Sony.