1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Give a bit more zoom to the default 18-55

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    in two weeks I will need to capture my wife's concert and right now I only havev the 18-55 lenses. IS it possible to apply something at front of the lense and have a constant multiplication of the zoom? That way I might be able to get closer to her and take her a nice video.

IS there something like that in the arsenal?

Regards
    Alex

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not that I know of.

Maybe go to the venue earlier and case out a closer vantage point?

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yep that might work as well, I was wondering if there is something you can add to the front of the camera that gives a constant 2x zoom extra to the zoom u have. Or this is not easily implemented with thecurrent optics?

Alex

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not currently, but if the pictures are not too grainey you can always crop.

5. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    don't forget digital zoom on my nex f3 I get 2x digital zoom on top of what the lens can do I'm not sure if it works in video mode or not never tried it. It's not ideal but it might help you get what your after.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Never. Use. Digital. Zoom.

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    That's the way to go!
    Zoom in (without digital zoom) as much as you can, set highest JPG quality and better use RAW and than crop the image. Way better results than digital zoom!

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the feedback really. I am mostly thinking for video shooting (wife will be singing) thus even then digital zoom might be needed... Is there zoom lense with a constant focal distance at a reasonable price?

9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    You might also consider adapted lenses for video shooting. Good quality 135mm f/2.8 or 70-150mm f/4 lenses can be had for < $50 - $60, you get faster lenses and aperture control on the lens, you just need to MF.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Manual focus is ok, the problem I see that I do not know a think about how to mount lenses on my camera

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    They sell cheap adapters, on ebay for example, for this ;)
    Just see what brand lens you want (ie. Minolta MD) and search there for the appropriate adapter (in this case MD to Nex adapter) ;)

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Few things that came to mind.
    With manual focusing I guess that the "candys" of the camera like portrait shooting, I would guess do not work. How I can "calculate" the zoom I need? Yesterday I was shooting at 10 meters deistance and with the 18-55 lense at the full (55) I was capturing full bodies only.... How should I find the way to calculate the zoom I might need?

I also look a 55-110 lense . Do you something to suggest for manual focusing ?

Regards

13. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I'm not sure what you mean by calculating zoom...
    You mean what kind of lens gives you which zoom ad field of view?
    Search the web for a lens simulator, I think there is one on the Sigma site.
    Just remember that the Nex has an APS-C sensor which means a crop factor of 1,5 compared to the old film negative size...
    Old 50mm Minolta lens = 75mm lens in negative film size

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    You have a lens of 50mm focal length and you stay at an x distance from me (lets say 10 meters) where you are able to capture all my body. How much, of zoom (extra focal length), will you need "roughly" to make a portrait (by portrait I mean that you capture my face only)?

I am pretty sure that after all those years of practice you had, you are able fast to see what you will roughly need, just by looking at a scence

Regards

15. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Perhaps you could give this a try to make things more visible:
    Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lenses Simulator

But to be honest I don't calculate any zoom values before taking a picture, I always start with the lens that I have mounted to my camera at the moment, see if I like it and if not change to the tele zoom or prime lens to achieve the result I like to have.
    But of course I take a look at the time setting to calculate this with the aperture I would like to have...

At the end I care about the picture and if I like the zoom in it, not about the zoom value itself...
    The only values that matter to me are time and aperture...
    Often it's better to avoid a bigger zoom range, shot the image in best quality setting and crop it afterwards.

Perhaps somebody else here can give a better idea for your request?

16. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    For a head shot portrait with a 50mm lens (on APS-C) you would be a metre or less away from the person - 10 metres is quite some distance for a head shot so you would be well into the telephoto range. The problem with indoor telephoto lenses is that the fast ones (like a 70-210 f2.8) are very expensive. I don't do many portraits, but normally wether indoors or outdoors I would use a prime and zoom with my feet. I appreciate that at gigs and other events this may not be an option - in which case the only options are to get a photo pass or permission from the venue to shoot from in front of the stage (even if only for the first 2 or 3 songs) in advance or to crop your shots afterwards.

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there.
    1.Thanks for the answer. What do you mean by a prime and a zoom?
    2. With the 50mm and 1 meter distance I do not see how I am gonna take a portrait from some distance. I do not know many kids that would like me to be at one meters for taking them a photo....
    3. Compare those two pages of nex lenses
    SEL-55210 | Teleobjektive | Funktionen | SEL55210.AE | SEL55210 | Sony
    SEL-18200 | Teleobjektive | Funktionen | SEL18200.AE | SEL18200 | Sony
    Why the first one i called by sony 3.8x zoom and the second one 11x zoom? What I see that both lenses go to the 200+ focal distances.

Alex

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    A prime is a fixed focal length lens...

19. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Ahahah so it means use the prime and use your feet to get that close you want? :p Rocks!

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick