1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Getting crazy about the weather...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Grisu_HDH, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Dear NEX-mates.
    Got me 5N in December and since than it seems a as if i'm cursed due to the weather conditions... :mad:
    Everything seems just GRAY... GRAY and nothing more or less...
    Looking out of the window seems like looking at a neutral gray white balance card all the time...
    And the few days with some sun we were to busy to go for a photo walk or I was in duty at the fire department...

I WANT SPRING NOW!!!!

Feeling better now... ;)

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Patience Markus, patience.

It could be worse. Here in China, a blue sky is to feared as it only happens once every few years or so and only after a hurricane.

I believe we have a few of far northerners that are only getting a couple hours (if that) of sun at this time of year.

Feel free to ignore the annoying Australians and New Zealanders flaunting their summer time photos right now.

3. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah but its really hot here though don't we get some sympathy for that

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    LOL. I have an Aussie friend and she drives me nuts taking SUNNY pictures ALL the time ! But then again, yes it's probably nasty hot there more often than not...

5. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    It's very grey in the UK and has been for some time. It also rains most days :(

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hang in there.

7. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I hear you. Spent a few hours hiking around my favorite local wildlife sanctuary yesterday. There was no wildlife, and everything else was dirty snow. Blah. I guess it was good exercise anyway.

I have been using excursions like that to take mental notes of where I want to go in the spring, so I guess it hasn't been a total waste.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Trust me, it could be worse. I travel to Japan every year to visit family and friends, I left for Japan late December when it's the middle of the Aussie summer and arrived in Japan in the middle of Japanese winter, so that's from 35 degree days / 25 degree nights to 4 degree days and -3 degree nights, and I flew back last week and arrived in the middle of a heatwave (44 degrees).

So in essence I have been boiled, chilled, frozen, microwaved and baked. I'm also looking forward to a gentler climate, probably Autumn 2 months from now.

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Getting baked isn't always so bad.

10. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I looked at my flickr feed today and the last daylight shot I posted was from October. :) Everything since then has been a night shot (mix of handheld and tripod). So get yourself a fast lens and/or a flash or a tripod and go take some night shots to keep sane. :)

It's been very very grey and dull here too (Scotland) plus the days are quite short (dark at 4pm) but winter can be fantastic when you get snow followed by sunshine or hoar frost (or even just frost) followed by sunshine - just doesn't happen very often in the UK being an island. :(

Personally I love cold weather and am not a fan of hot weather (warm and mid twenties C is okay but hot like the current 40C + weather in Australia - no thanks!). There is a rumour of colder weather coming to Europe after the mild 12C we have been having (the outdoor ice-rink in Edinburgh even closed for a day after most of the ice melted!). But there is always something to photograph - city scenes at night, gigs, indoor macro or people shots, painting with light, star trails...

11. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Ahhhh... sweet memories...
    This summer in Scotland...
    Shot with my old Canon G12...

8221774490_9c5ff19291.

12. kendo1

kendo1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2013
    Hmm. There was a sunny day in mid July last year.

13. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Yeah 2012 has been wet, wet WET!!!

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Where is the sun surly you cant call that a sunny day way to many clouds that is a miserable day for us Aussies at the moment lol.

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sheesh! Don't talk to me about grey weather. I live in Oregon. We all have webbed feet here!

True story: A man dies and is condemned to hell. As he waits in line to enter the gates of Hades, he notices a bunch of people being pulled from the line by Satan's minions.

"What's with that?" He asks the guy in front of him. "Why are those people being pulled from the line?"

"Oh, them," the guys answers, "They're from Oregon. They need to dry out before they can burn in eternal hellfire."

David

16. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I look forward to the weather improves, we have had very cold and windy days here in NY, summer why takes too long to arrive.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Try dabbling with Silver Efex Pro 2 (or Colour Efex if you prefer colour) upping the structure and fine tuning the color filters does wonders for drabby gray skies.

18. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    C'mon Markus, get out there and shoot. I took this yesterday with my little LX7...it was 0 degrees F.
    image.

19. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Wow, really like this one...!!!!!!

20. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I was thinking of you guys while I was taking this silhouette today, it was a much cooler and overcast day only got to 25.8c and was a bit overcast. So what to do on a horrible day like today why go to the Zoo of course.

DSC00344-2.