Getting C1-Like Results in Lightroom for the A7RII

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I've been using both Capture One (C1) and Adobe Lightroom (LR) for many years now. I like them both and will continue to use both, but I greatly prefer the default results from C1 over LR when it comes to processing files from the Sony A7RII.

On the other hand, I prefer some aspects of LR. Luminance aliasing seems to be less of an issue in LR, and LR still leads the pack in terms of highlight detail retrieval in my experience. LR is also runs seems to run more smoothly on less beastly workstations and is designed to work with some of my favorite plugins from Alien Skin and Nik.

Because of all of this, I've set out to find settings to make my LR results more C1-like when it comes to defaults on import of A7RII raw (ARW) files. What I've come up with here seems to work pretty well. It mainly boils down to more noise reduction and sharpening plus a few other small tweaks.

Step 1: Go to the Develop pane while editing a raw file from your camera, and make the settings changes shown in the red boxes shown below.

Step 2: Choose Develop > Set Default Settings as shown below.

Step 3: Choose "Update to Current Settings" as shown below.

Once you have done that, all raw files you import in LR will by default use these "C1 emulation" settings. To undo these changes and restore Adobe defaults, repeat Step 2 and then choose "Restore Adobe Default Settings.

Untitled-1-copy.

If you use LR for A7RII files, give it a try and let me know what you think. If you use another Sony camera besides the A7RII, I'd be interested to see what you think of it with your camera as well!

• Like Like x 4
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I appreciate the efforts made, it is helpful for those that like your suggested settings, and that shoot photos similar to the one example.

But in the end, each different subject will require a different recipe. I actually like some of the presets in LR for sharpening (landscape and portrait are the ones I use most), developed by Jeff Schewe (ACR/LR developer).

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks, these were meant as a starting point (on import) to look more like C1 does as a starting point on import. Certainly each image will need a different recipe.

4. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    This looks quite idiot proof, I'll give it a go when mine arrives :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It's more noise reduction than some would like, but I think it gives nice looking results if your priority isn't eeking out every last drop of detail.

7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Thanks Amin. Which color profile do you use as default? Adobe standard, one of the Sony ones? Have you tried the Huelight ccolor profiles for the A7rii?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    So far I use Adobe Standard but will definitely try out the Huelight profile soon.

Edit: Just sent payment to Huelight. Will post some examples of Adobe Standard vs Huelight later today.

9. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I use the Huelight profiles for my 5N. They are definitely an improvement over Adobe Standard. The differences are usually quite subtle but in certain situations, color balance is greatly improved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The default Lightroom settings have been kept to a minimum on purpose. It ensures an opportunity to evaluate the image in its most malleable form. That also ensures that you don’t limit the application of any plug-ins or Photoshop.

If you do want to start out with a more “finished” image, as an alternative to redefining the defaults, you can automatically apply a preset (custom or provided) on import using Quick Develop in the Library mode. If it turns out that you don’t need it, once you have the image in Develop you can use the “zeroed” preset to get back to the clean image.

If you’ll be moving an image to one of the Nik plug-ins, then I suggest you only make those adjustments in Lightroom that you won't be making in Nik. For example, if you’re taking an image into Silver Efex Pro, I suggest staying away from Clarity in Lightroom as that will ensure the maximum latitude with “Structure” or “Fine Structure” in Silver Efex. (Structure on top of Clarity may not be optimal.)

I talked about the workflow in moving to Silver Efex specifically, in the blog in June.

If you don't print at larger sizes, however, I would agree that the differences in outcomes are probably negligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    I do have to admit that editing the RAW files of the A7RII does instantly spike my 4 Ghz i7 5960x (yes, the 8 core monster) to 100% on all cores for every slight adjustment, but hey, with that kind of CPU its no more than a second or less for every adjustment.

I wonder how C1P A7RII processing fares on lesser CPUs....

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    C1 also uses the GPU to speed processing via OpenCL. My i7-4770k gets very speedy results with C1, but I have a beastly GPU (GTX 780ti). In the past I found Lightroom to be a better performer than C1, but with the latest versions of each, C1 is the better performer on my system.

13. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    I wasn't even aware if OpenCL is enabled on mine, where's the option to enable GPU acceleration? I do have a GTX 980 Ti though, might be lighting quick with that GPU especially.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Should be on by default. Preferences -> General -> Use Open CL for - set to Auto

15. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The latest Lightroom version didn't have any good performance news for me. My video card isn't recognised (it's a 4-year old machine), so I had to switch the feature off. For me, performance is just a bit worse than the previous version. I expect that my next computer upgrade will make a difference.

From what I understand, the overall performance improvements were modest in any case. Early days.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I didn't realize Lightroom could leverage graphics cards now too. Cool!

17. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I tested Lightroom 6 with GPU on and GPU off and didnt see any performance increase. Also compared Lightroom 5 and Lightroom 6 and saw no noticeable improvements in performance. Essentially areas that are 'painfully slow' - like zooming to 100% - are still painfully slow. My experience basically mirrors this....

• Like Like x 1