Geminids 2015

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by José De Bardi, Dec 13, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Geminids 2014

Don't forget! Awesome meteor shower tonight!
    I'm sat in the car trying to stay warm while the camera does its time lapse thing right now :)

Will post my results tomorrow.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hope they turn out wonderful.

3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    1 hour wasted. Time lapse app defaults to af-s. All out of focus. One shot was stunning, will share it anyway due to the incredible brightness of the shooting star. Last battery now in use for a go at it in focus!!

4. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    1 hour, 1 good shot sounds like normal for me. maybe not wasted totally.

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well it's an out of focus shot with a cool streak in it! 1 hour, 1 lesson learned for sure!

6. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    seems like af-s would be the best setting over af-c or af-a because you can lock focus. manual focus might be the best choice

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    AF just won't work pointing at the night sky. Has to be mf and set to hyper focal or further away using the scale on screen (which doesn't work in apps BTW).

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Set to infinity using distance scale and immediately switch to manual to lock in the focus. As long as you don't turn the camera off it should remain.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    This is what I've done. But you have to set the app to MF first, then exit, focus using native camera with scale, then reopen the time lapse app.
    Otherwise it switches to AF-S when you open the app, even if you start in MF in the native camera. Very annoying!
    When you exit the app the native camera goes back to AF-C as well, not MF where I left it! All very odd!
    ~25 mins of battery left I reckon, then I can go home and inspect my toes for frost bite!

10. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    too low for me -set on timelapse my 5r only snagged 2 satellites, no meteors , moon rose at same time -if i can stay awake i may set it up again tonight

11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    OK, so, things I learnt last night!
    1. Don't park in a puddle!
    2. Park where you can turn the car on without the lights affecting your shots (damn DRLs!)
    3. Don't trust Sony Camera App's to use the same settings as the native camera
    4. Wear thicker socks!

For my first attempt at star trails I have to say I'm pretty pleased. And I'm glad I made the effort to stay up til 3am in -3 degrees Celsius to capture this once in a decade chance (weather/Moon being just right for the Geminids).

I've linked to full size images as the compressed ones just didn't do them justice, so sorry for the longer load times - it will be worth it!

So, first off, a shot of my car I've been planning at this location for some time. The method was...
    1. Set camera to 10 second timer with 30 second exposure
    2. Press shutter and run to car (avoid puddle in doorway) and get in
    3. Flash main beam for 1 second, then all lights for shortest possible time
    4. Run back to camera and use LED torch to briefly light the back of the car

Reasonably happy with the outcome. If it wasn't so damn cold I would have probably done it a couple more times honing the ISO/Exposure time etc. It would have been a lot easier with a helper to sit in the car and do the lights too!
    DSC08117_zps651b9703.

So, then moved on to concentrate on the sky, shot a few stills, this was the best of. Fair bit of light pollution from my home town of Dorchester, but this was the direction to shoot to get most shooting stars, so it had to do. Bit noisy at 3200 ISO, but I like it none the less.
    DSC08122_zpsc0c61490.

OK, then the timelapse app! As previous posts you can see I had a bit of a nightmare! Got the workflow now, so next time I shall be far better prepared!
    Here is the out of focus shot I mentioned. As you can imagine, this was a REALLY bright shooting star. I saw it with the naked eye and it was nothing short of a fireball in the sky! So annoyed it was out of focus!!!
    DSC08169_zps4c24cb0b.

Then the best still from the in focus batch...
    DSC08347_zps3a77391c.

And the resulting stacked image (used StarStax for Mac) - very neat app :)
    Made up of 195 images, each a 30 second exposure at 1600 ISO.
    16022247395_e1ae0c6f4d_k.
    Geminids 2015
    by josedebardi, on Flickr

And a quick vid of the star trails growing into the above image. I used Time Lapse Assembler for Mac (a quick option, I've used Photoshop to do it in the past, but this is a very nice option if you want something fast).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2s9i8KORyU

Hope you all enjoy, and feel free to leave comments, tips, criticism. I'm here to learn!

• Like Like x 6
  12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Never done Star Shots myself, so no help from me.

Still some very pleasant shots you got:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Awesome!

• Like Like x 1