1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gear rental for Rodeo event and possible future upgrade test.. a bit lost here...help! lol

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, May 26, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello guys!

So, I have the NEX-6 and on my last rodeo event and for other low light events that require good speed, I have been using the N6 with manual lenses, usually the Rokkor 135mm 2.8 gets the bulk of the image taking.

I have been considering getting the A6000 as an upgrade or the A7 (harder to get $$$ wise).

So for this event i was thinking on renting the A7 with the Sony E 70-200 F4 or the A6000 with the same lens but I was unable to find the lens in stock for rental so I began pondering about the lae2 adapter and a fast zoom lens like Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 as a test as well.
    Maybe getting a Sony E 70-200 F4 for my current Nex-6 and waiting for the next gen FF will be wiser...not sure.

In any case, if you can make sense of what I want, please comment. :D

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If I was in your situation, I'd buy the 70-200 f/4 and use it with my current camera (i.e. your NEX-6). You'll have such a lens for years if not decades, so it'll be worth it. For this kind of focal length, usually OSS is more useful than a one stop faster aperture.

• Like Like x 3
  3. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Unless you want to upgrade your camera body - I think Poki has it *EXACTLY* right.. Remember - invest in lenses, as digitial camera bodies are disposable after only a couple of years. Great lenses? Last longer then your lifetime.

- John

• Like Like x 1
  4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah I almost went with the La-Ea2 and a cheapo Minolta 70-200 AF F4 but decided to go this one event with what I got and just shoot with my lenses at F4, the 135mm and the 200mm to see if that speed is enough for the rodeo and then some hockey.
    I think it might be enough then I will just save for that FE 70-200 Lens as you guys recommended since it will be a keeper no matter what. While getting the A6000 is still not something of a bad idea, as I can surely use the faster focusing and the memory banks and that Auto ISO, among other features, the higher ISO performance is not going to be an upgrade from what I have seen and going to the A7 will sacrifice speed and cost a lot more so, right now, looks like the best investment is get that awesome lens or the A6000 in that order since is not like my N6 sucks :D

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would still invest in manual or legacy glass. Anything without electronics will be around a lot longer. Almost any new camera coming out should be able to use them with an adapter. If sony gets their act together with the next gen A7 and it has in camera stabilization or on sensor.... Legacy glass would be unstoppable in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I have my share of e mount lenses, 2 Zeiss 2 sigma and the 16, 35, 50, 55-210, both kit lenses. I cringe a little when ever I buy one.

What I don't regret at all, minolta glass , canon glass, even the Rokinon set. My latest buy was the voigtlander 35mm. I know it won't go down on value that much as long as I keep it clean. Won't have a problem selling those if I really needed to. On the other hand, 10,15 years from now am I still going to be able to use my FE 55 1.8?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    On the other hand, the 55 1.8 FE (for example, also counts for most other high-end E-Mount lenses) is a MUCH better lens optically than any Minolta 50mm out there. Optical design has improved through the past decades.

Are you going to be able to use E-Mount lenses in 50 years? Yes. Because even if Sony won't be around anymore by that time, E-Mount is an open standard, so you can just download the specifications and build an adapter yourself if you want to (or just buy a cheap one off futurebay).

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    When 3d printers go mainstream nothing will be out of the question. Was reading the other day they can print metal now, who knows how long till the consumer units can print metal, will be a crazy future

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh I was there before last year and it is a small place and I get pretty close seats so for the most part all I used was a 135mm last time. only went longer for the bull riding because it was done further down but 200 should work fine :)