G'day from down under!!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Phoenix, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi my name is Phoenix, I'm from Melbourne, Australia (when you think of Australia and imagine beautiful beaches and nice sunny landscapes....that is NOT where I'm from :p) Melbourne is in the the southern part of the country where it's usually cold and the weather unpredictable. But what we lack in sunny weather and warm conditions we make up for the amount of classic Victorian-era architecture, artistic sculptures, museums, lazy cafe's (we love our coffee), and gardens (We are known in Australia as the Garden State)

I am just getting back into photography after more than decade in hiatus. I used to be a avid photographer back in the days where almost everyone was still shooting film and shooting digital meant using an SLR with a digital back that told you how much film you had left and what your current camera settings are.

A year ago, a friend of mine coaxed me into resurrecting my interest in photography after 14 years of being "underground". Needless to say after seeing current dslr models with it's massive size, buttons, bells and whistles I got somewhat imtimidated (The last camera I used was a 1980 Nikon F2 T) So I've decided to skip the dslr scene and just get a rangefinder for something more simple and more "old school" since I'm not really getting back into photography (meh...yeah...riiiight....we all know how that turns out)

Anyway after seeing how much Leica M9s cost, I have decided that I might not have enough organs to sell in the black market to afford one so I'll steer clear of Leica rangefinders as well. This is where I discovered the Sony NEX and found that it really suits my shooting style and compliments the type of photography I wanted to do. However I wasn't too crazy about the kit lenses, So I decided to go back to what I knew, Legacy lenses!! with the aid of adapters I was soon shooting with Minolta Rokkor lenses. These lenses are cheap (with some exceptions), good performers, and abundant. Because of the recent firmware upgrade that included the "peaking" function for MF lenses (and also partly due to GAS) I am now shooting in with a Nokton 1.5 Aspherical and 1.1 as well!!

Anyway..before I get totally carried away, I am looking forward to having discussions and trading information with other NEX users.
  2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Hi, Phoenix and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are NEX user after my own heart. I too enjoy using a NEX with legacy lenses. There is something about using a well-built manual lens with this camera and it's features that I find very satisfying. Make sure to drop in on the adapted lens image threads and show us your lenses on your camera and share some samples so that others can see what fine images the NEX and a good manual lens can make.
  3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Hello and welcome Phoenix
  4. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA