Gave the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 a spin

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Xterra, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    I tried out the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 today. What a "little" beast and heavy compare to my Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2
    Focus distance is almost twice as far and WIDE open images are not crystal sharp rather blurry and soft.
    My ISO and shutter speed did not get significantly better from f/2 to f/1.1 even setting the IBIS to 50mm.
    I wanted to try it to see if for portrait work in dark allies I get perhaps half the ISO speed down and better background blur.
    So long I stick with the LIGHTER Zeiss Loxia f/2

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm. Something's not right there. It's more than a full stop difference between f/1.1 and 2.0, and given the same scene, that should have a significant effect on shutter speed and/or ISO. And IBIS should have no effect on the light-gathering characteristics of a lens, only in your ability to hand hold at a slower shutter speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    Actually you might be right, ISO went down from 320 to 160 at the same shutter speed 1/60s
    When tested at same ISO100 the shutter speed went from 1/640s to 1/1600 (even thus I read it wrong in the camera 1/600) :biggrin:

Nonetheless the images seem 'VERY SOFT" at f/1.1 I expected very sharp at the focus point as it is the case with the Loxia at f/2

• Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Yeah...there aren't really any sharp lenses at those apertures.

The Loxia 50mm f/2 is basically the same as the Zeiss ZM Planar 50mm f/2, which is included in LensRental's comparison of 50mm SLR & RF lenses: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-leses-version-0-7/

open2.

Even achieving 768 line pairs per image height at f/1.1 is pretty amazing considering that the $10,000 Leica Noctilux only hits 840.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Maybe it's faster f-stop vice but thats doesn't necessarily translate to an equal faster t-stop.