1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gave in......bought a 6!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Rich, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Gave in today and bought a 6. Talked myself out of it for a long time, but I am deeply unhappy and disillusioned with the Fuji X PRO 1 and its X Trans sensor, so I have decided that for the majority of my work, Sony is where I am going, for 2013 at least.

The weather here in UK was so utterly appalling today that I didn't get a chance to use it, but its supposed to be better tomorrow so :D play time!

I know I'm going to be happy with the body/sensor because of my experience with the 5N. However, I do have reservations about the 16-50 that came with it.

Anyone care to comment on 16-50 experience, good/bad????
    I'd be interested to hear.

Rich.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Apparently that button buys a NEX 6, eh? :drinks:

3. IMast

IMast New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    North Wales, UK
    Bought mine in November and so far very pleased with it. Only taken about 30 photos so far all with 16-50 kit lens and viewing on my Sony HD tv almost in full screen. All were landscapes shot in intelligent auto + mode as an experiment. I have to say I was very impressed. The Steadyshot feature was useful although a leg stabiliser would have been a useful accessory! After my last shot I slipped on the grass and broke my left leg badly necessitating a long operation and an even longer recuperation. Off to Argentina and Brasil in early April so will be giving the camera a good workout.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey Rich :)
    I personally sold the 16-50 the next day of getting the kit, which brought the price down nicely (I was a very early adopter with pre-order). I guess I'm really not into slow zooms, and I kinda dislike PZ concept anyway, so don't take my word for it. Otherwise the 6 is a super nice camera.
    What gives with your XP1 ?? What lens did you have with it ?? I'm really contemplating getting a X-E and 35/1.4 myself, can you talk me out of it ??

5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Claire. Thanks for your view on the 16-50. I have a feeling that it will be on eBay by the end of tomorrow!
    We'll see. I'll let you know.

Can I talk you out of an XE 1 and 35?
    No, I wont attempt to do that. My main problem is the lack of RAW conversion software. Lightroom is no good, and Capture 1's offering is no better. Silkypix remains the best option, but it ain't great. I know that you are a JPEG shooter so it won't effect you. X PRO1/XE 1 JPEGS are good straight out of the camera, better than NEX for sure. Unfortunately JPEG is not a runner for my work.

The 35mm lens is truly superb. I have 35 and 60, both great IQ, can't think of any better that I have used over the last 30 odd years. The problem is focus speed and, moreover, accuracy, or, occasional lack of it!
    There have been some firmware updates recently that may, or may not have improved this.

To be fair, I haven't used an XE 1 so can't speak from experience there. I am led to believe that the XE 1 and 18-55 zoom combo is considerably better.

My main reasons for switching to NEX are:
    1. No RAW conversion problems, files fly through LR and CS5 and get accepted by the agencies I supply.
    2. Focus, although not quick, locks accurately "EVERY" time, and that is what counts in what I do. My subjects don't move!

Get down to your local shop and give it a try.

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Rich.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yikes! I hope the recovery has been uneventful. I look forward to your South America pics. :)

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks for the useful input Rich ! I actually got to meet the most desired black X-E in person yesterday, but it had the 18-55 mounted. I'll be able to play extensively with one within two weeks. I could see myself running both systems with no issue, other than financial, of course !
    I understand that RAW handling is a pain in the butt with the X, and as you said I'm a strict jpeg shooter so it matters zilch to me. I think you'll enjoy the 6 tremendously, though I would have a preference for the 7 (I'm on my second one as I regretted selling the first !). Very nice cameras, both of them, and there IS a benefit of shooting RAW with NEX, I'm just too old/lazy to change my workflow now ;) I'm sure you'll have no difficulty selling your X gear as it is in high demand right now :)

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Ironically my X gear is not for sale. I have just shelved it pending Adobe getting their a**e in gear. They will have to sooner or later. Don't get me wrong, the X cameras are good, they just aren't there yet. Or not for me anyway. It'll be fine for you shooting JPEG, as long as you are happy with the focus system.

I did look at the 7, but I just don't need 24MP. In some respects it would work against me and what I do.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the XE when you try it out.

Rich.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey Rich,

I'm sure you've mentioned this somewhere but what lenses do you use on the NEX?

I'm thinking about getting a 6 if the 7 replacement is underwhelming and the 6 drops in price nevertheless (because new always equals better right? :rolleyes:). But two things I definitely want (and not sure about yet) is that the 18-200 LE has PDAF support (apparently still a big issue if dpreview is anything to go by), and the use of legacy lenses doesn't take a big hit in IQ especially at high ISO (given the existence of pointless PDAF pixels on the sensor, when shooting manual lenses).

10. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    You'll see the same IQ on the sensor level from legacy lenses as you do from native E-mount lenses.

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, sorry I meant in comparison with my current 5N

12. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I'm very happy with the 16-50. It's a nice, small walkaround lens, with a very convenient focal length range. It's sharp enough for most use. There's some barrel / pincushion distortion, and a bit of vignetting, but the lens profile that I downloaded for lightroom fixes those problems very well, automatically, so it's not a problem at all. If you shoot jpg (I never do), I think the camera automatically does the same corrections as lightroom is doing to my raws.

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My experience has been good. I think a lot of the bad press that this lens received is because of the software corrections it requires in order to deliver good images, and the early reviewers didn't have access to those corrections. I recall one reviewer in particular who at first disparaged it, then, once he had access to the lens profiles, changed his tone, and then, after using it for a few days, fell in love with it. But by then the rep had been established, and those who had never used it accepted the early reviews as gospel.

So there are a whole slew of buyers whose first act after acquiring the lens as part of a kit was to put it up for sale without ever trying it. Yes, there are those, like Claire, who don't really have any use for that kind of lens. But most dismissed it before ever trying it out for themselves. Fortunately for me, I gave it a real trial. And it's definitely a keeper for my kind of photography.

But I know its limitations: it's a good kit lens that delivers acceptable sharpness and goes much wider than any other kit lens. In my arsenal of lenses it's the only AF lens that makes the cut. I'm not in a position to buy the high-priced CZ primes, or legacy lenses that go that wide. And A-mount lenses with the adapter have no appeal for me. Your mileage, as they say, may vary. But I suggest you give it a try and see for yourself what it can do for you.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    quezra I used only legacies on my 6 and didn't see any IQ loss vs the 5N or 7... The only drop in IQ was using the crappy native E lenses (eh eh, tongue in cheek... or at least a little)

15. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I only have 19 and 30 Sigmas at the moment. I am waiting for the Sigma 60mm and that pretty much does it for me. I intend to give the CZ 24mm a try later this year aswell.

16. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I got to try the 6 and 16-50 today. Very happy with the handling, the slightly larger size is good for me. The EVF is useful, but I could live without it, nice to have the choice nevertheless. the dials on the top plate are good, much easier to change aperture on the move without fiddling!

Unfortunately the 16-50 is not going to do it for me, as predicted. I gave it a good try, but, at 100% on screen I had to ask myself, "would I submit these pictures to a magazine for publication?"
    The answer was a definite, NO!
    It's actually not bad as a kit lens, it would seem to be marginally better than the 18-55. If I weren't relying on it for commercial purposes, I would probably keep it. Focus is definitely quicker than the Sigmas, but I need wall to wall sharp for what I do.

Just can't "odds" that Sigma quality it would seem.

17. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Without tongue in cheek. Yeah, you're right!

18. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    I didn't like 16-50. Especially when I took raw pictures with it. Sell it and get some investment back

Sent from my Nexus 7

19. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I purposefully bought the kit with the 16-50PZ as at the time that was what I thought I wanted, and a big part of what attracted me to the NEX. Since buying the SEL50F18 a week later as well as the 55-210 i've not touched the 16-50. Out of interest I put it back on camera a couple of nights ago and played for 48 hours but nothing coming out was exciting me very much. The 50 is back on now and playing the waiting game on the SEL35 to get cheaper once the new 20mm is released (hopefully).

20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David