• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Gariz leather half-case for NEX-7

Real Name
Colin
The NEX-7 Gariz cases are really nice. Great workmanship and a great feel. The bottom is a steel plate with a cut-out to access the battery and SD card. The battery pops out nicely but it sometimes takes a little effort to dig out the SD card.

The weight is well balanced and not really noticeable. It adds some height. For me it makes the NEX-7 more comfortable to hold and my hands are medium sized. The leather edges protrude slightly from the base plate so while it sits flat on a table top, it's not actually resting on the metal plate keeping it from getting scratched up. There is a ring that flips out to screw the case into the tripod mount that's very solid and can be used to attach a clip for a strap system.

The tripod mount is solid, but not centred on the lens anymore. I haven't tried it with heavier lenses, probably best to use a lens mount but that's the same for the native mount. I often use a sling strap that attaches to the tripod mount and there's no worries about it at all.

The case doesn't impede you from accessing the screen to tilt it although the you lose a few degrees of angle tilting it down for overhead shots due to the slight thickness of the leather.

If your fingers already have trouble fitting between the grip and the lens, then this case may be a problem. I don't have particularly beefy fingers and it's no issue for me at all. In the photos it looks like less space than when actually handling the grip as the leather hasn't form-fitted to the grip yet.

Gariz also has half-cases for the 5N, 5R and the NEX-6. While the NEX-6 case is pretty much identical to the NEX-7 one, I don't like the 5N and 5R case due to lack of the battery compartment cut-out, meaning you would have to take off the case every time you needed to change the battery or access the SD card.

The cases come in a few different colours.

Here's the all black on my NEX-7

DSC01585-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-5N    ---    50mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC01588-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-5N    ---    50mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC01631-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-5N    ---    50mm    f/3.2    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC01636-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-5N    ---    50mm    f/2.5    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC01640-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-5N    ---    50mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 1600

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
While the NEX-6 case is pretty much identical to the NEX-7 one, I don't like the 5N and 5R case due to lack of the battery compartment cut-out, meaning you would have to take off the case every time you needed to change the battery or access the SD card.

Hmmmm, never thought that the added bulk may actually be a good thing... might make the 5N easier to hold?

RT_Panther

TalkEmount Veteran
I keep telling myself "one of these days, I'm going to get one of those".....Great case! :)

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Ummm... I bought a $16 dollar Chinese version on ebay. Same case fits BOTH the NEX-6 AND NEX-7 very well. Heavy leather, like a trucker's wallet with polished hardware. The upper half snaps off, and is padded nicely to protect the screen. Velvet (?) lined, four snaps to hold both pieces together. Now, I LIKE the Gariz because of that bottom, but this doesn't stay on my cameras, just there for the day on trips without the bag. I can live with not accessing the battery or card to save nearly $100.00.

$16. Free shipping.

$16. Free shipping.

Just sayin'...

Real Name
Colin
Ummm... I bought a $16 dollar Chinese version on ebay. Same case fits BOTH the NEX-6 AND NEX-7 very well. Heavy leather, like a trucker's wallet with polished hardware. The upper half snaps off, and is padded nicely to protect the screen. Velvet (?) lined, four snaps to hold both pieces together. Now, I LIKE the Gariz because of that bottom, but this doesn't stay on my cameras, just there for the day on trips without the bag. I can live with not accessing the battery or card to save nearly $100.00.

$16. Free shipping.

$16. Free shipping.

Just sayin'...

I've got one of those too.

DSC02944-1024x1024.jpg
NEX-7    ---    50mm    f/3.2    1/60s    ISO 500

They're not playing in the same league.

The Gariz cases are expensive, but there is really no comparison in quality, fit, looks and feel. Not even close.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
It's not really very bulky but it extends the height of the camera. For me with the NEX-7, it makes it fit my hand a little better.

yeah, I agree, I have one like it, I use it in my nex7 and nex5r, is more uplifting, but this model for any thoughts be better as you do not need to take it off if you need remove the battery or memory.
I like it because it protects my little camera.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I like having the cheapo full case for certain occasions. I definitely notice, an extra layer of material over the grip does indeed aid with ergos. Almost like a poor man's Hasselblad Lunar. (Sorry, I couldn't resist...) :)

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I've got one of those too. They're not playing in the same league.

Mine isn't too far off, except for that sweet metal plate. I'll probably nab a Gariz on ebay second-hand or something...

case.jpg
   ---            

Real Name
Colin
That one looks like one of the better ones. Much better than the freebie one I got.

One good thing about living in China is you don't have to guess about accessories for anything. You get to see them all in person, touch them, try them and they are all a lot cheaper than buying them in the west. Products like cameras and lenses are not cheaper as it's not as simple for the factory bosses to run a few extra shifts and then sell them locally but cases, straps, bags etc are all over the place.

The Gariz cases are really a cut above the others. Then again, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $100 bucks for one either.

dshin525

TalkEmount Regular
I have the gariz half case for my NEW 5r. Quality is top notch and looks great.
However it isn't without flaws. You have to take it off whenever you need to take the batter/memory card out (at least for the 5r. looks like it has an opening to access the battery for the 7, based on OP's pics), or to access the micro usb port.

Skipperjonce

TalkEmount Regular
However it isn't without flaws. You have to take it off whenever you need to take the batter/memory card out (at least for the 5r. looks like it has an opening to access the battery for the 7, based on OP's pics), or to access the micro usb port.

Hi, and welcome. Do you have a pic or two you can share with the case on the 5r? Something a little more 'in use' than the promo shots?

Chuck Lawson

TalkEmount Regular

That's my biggest complaint with it on the 6, too. The 6 case does have access to the battery, but I'd need tweezers to take the memory card out without removing the case, and the ports on the side are blocked. Every time I take the case off to get pics out (which I could maybe avoid if the wifi-to-computer would work for me) I get more tempted to cut down the side to get port access. Other than that, the quality, finish and feel are very nice.

Nick

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Nick
Hi, dshin 525
I too have a new 5R and need a case of some sort, so as soon as you are able please post a few pics of your camera and case. Also where did you buy it from?
Thanks in advance.
Nick

Derichuk

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Deric
Well this thread just cost me some money, not quite sure how much yet as I have to work in conversion. But, after reading the glowing reviews of the Gariz, I ordered one for my Nex-6. Now I really should stop buying shwag for my camera and start taking pictures.

dshin525

TalkEmount Regular
Here are some shots of the Gariz half case (I also got the strap with the gun style adapter).
Sits flush with the bottom of the camera
IMG_0633.jpg
   ---            

As you can see, it covers the slot for the charging cable (which is annoying)
IMG_0634.jpg
   ---            

The right side...goes all the way to the top of the camera, provides a really nice grip
IMG_0635.jpg
   ---            

The bottom...base is all metal. The case is held on by a screw (where the strap is attached). And the base provides a new screw in point for a tri-pod.
IMG_0636.jpg
   ---            

Front shot.
IMG_0637.jpg
   ---            

As others have stated, quality is top notch. But the fact that it has to be taken off to access the memory card or to charge the camera is annoying.

I got mine from ebay from this seller:
sopiyoyo | eBay

There is another seller but its from Korea. The seller above is US seller and I received my items in 3 days.

Real Name
Colin
I can see how that would be more annoying for NEX-5r and NEX-6 users. For me with the NEX-7, covering the usb port is not much of an issue because I charge the batteries in a charger and there is the an opening at the bottom plate (a hole really) to access the battery and sd card bay. I haven't taken the case off since I first put it on.

How's the gunshot strap?

Latest threads

Top Bottom