1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gariz Black Leather Half-Case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, Sep 15, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yesterday I received the Gariz black leather half-case. I am very impressed with their packaging (well-constructed multilayer box; fine, screen-printed fabric pouch inside the box; excellent presentation), and it should be for what it cost (~$100), but what was most surprising to me was how exquisitely it was finished.

The metal bottom almost looks chrome plated (I don't think it is, probably just a fine stainless steel polishing - I'll have to check) and very nicely finished black leather on a very sturdy frame. Very fine fasteners (like the tripod-mount attachment screw), and even has its own 3/8 - 1/4 thread adapter in a separate tripod mount hole. It looks quite pristine!

The problem is that I was not expecting such a fine-looking product. I almost feel that it will look out of place on a camera I expect to be a workhorse. It makes me think instead of an accessory that a do-nothing starlet or billionaire is going to carry around their neck while visiting in Monaco or Cannes. I'm really tempted to return it (adding that it is not for me), but I want to give it an opportunity to 'prove' itself.

Has anyone else tried on of these Gariz half-cases?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I have them on NEX-7's. The "metal base" is a joke...hardly more than a sheet of aluminum foil, and every one of mine has separated from the leather around the battery & SD card compartment, had to reglue the metal to the leather on them.
    I thought they were way overpriced and the packaging was pretentious / for show only.
    Functionally, after a while I don't even know they are there...They do add bulk which helps with big hands.
    Last one I bought was "as new" on EBay for half price which should be the normal selling price IMO.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks for the feedback Bill. I guess it will be going back tomorrow without even attaching it to the camera.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Too me they add a lot of bulk, for no real reason.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PS:
    I don't know what you're looking at a half case to do so to be clear, I got them to add bulk as I have huge Paul Bunyan hands (palm a basketball with ease)...and I do like them for that...and then any camera body protection is an added plus of course.
    ( Never had any plans to use the tripod socket due to the weakness of the little NEX camera body construction anyway, so the whole "base plate" thing was nothing for my needs ).

SPECIFIC NEX-7 RELATED NOTES:
    Another disappointment for the NEX-7 half case design, is while The Good News is that additional leather was added up along the left end of the body so the case would have a better wrap grip on more of the camera body...The Bad News is that the USB cable socket door can't be opened without removing & reinstalling the case every time...so I had bought an SD card reader, and started opening the battery/SD compartment door, popping out the SD card, then reinstalling the card, closing the door, etc.
    All those things are easy to do of course, but I worry about early life failures with the constant daily increased workload on the door hinge & spring, as well as the SD card, card socket, and card socket ejection spring.

AND WORSE...having to use the SD card removal approach, one time I laid a card down, then couldn't find it for a couple days until it was accidentally discovered a magazine had been laid on top of it.
    The next episode from constantly removing the SD card resulted it it disappearing permanently...finally bought a replacement card...still haven't seen the original card and suspect it inadvertently ended up in the trash can or something.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    • Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Now that base looks very thick & robust.
    The one on the Gariz NEX-7, where is comes loose from around the battery door opening, is extremely thin, like a .010" - .015" feeler gauge thin

8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    That is the one I am planning to buy. I think it looks fantastic and the tripod mount seems better than the Gariz. I know that the Gariz I had for my NEX-6 was a joke with the metal part on the bottom being this super thin piece of flimsy metal that I had to re-glue and I was not the only one reporting this issue. Maybe they got better now but after paying so much for so little, I will not give them another try.

9. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    pic or it didnt happen Slothead ;)

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom