1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Further Test Tweaking of my NEX-7 JPEG's in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by roundball, Feb 23, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've spent some additional time playing around with a few recent JPEGs in Lightroom(5.7) and have learned a few more 'workflow' things that are helping speed up the work activity and cut down on the time required.
    So far, the pattern of most useful features / tweaks I routinely look at are:
    Clarity
    Sharpening
    Noise Reduction if using high ISO
    Remove Chromatic Aberration / Defringe

Tweaking with these basic features do fine on JPEGs out of my Sony NEX-7's...and if repeated use will speed things up / cut down on the amount of time I have to spend in LR...vs. up on Photobucket...I'll start getting some benefit out of LR and only have to upload to Photobucket one time...which was my original goal in the first place.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    roundball,

To really get the most out of the NEX-7 and LR, try using RAW. The NEX-7 RAW files are loaded with data to manipulate.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, I'm staying out of this one. I promise. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    So I decided to run a JPEG vs. RAW test with Lightroom.
    Set the NEX-7 for RAW+JPEG.
    Got a nice shot of a beautiful Male Cardinal with the Canon FDn 300/4.0, ISO200.

First photo below is the original JPEG SOOC.
    Second photo is same original JPEG after my basic tweaks in LR were added.
    (Clarity, Sharpening, Noise Reduction, and Remove Chromatic Aberration / Defringe)

Then I tried the same exercise with the identical duplicate mirror image RAW file.

Could not get the RAW file image sharp enough to bother posting.

Closed everything down, opened everything back up, and went through the effort again to ensure a fresh workflow, and that I used the exact same steps…but got the same unusable results.

Only after running the Clarity and Sharpening way up towards their max settings did the RAW image start to improve, but it was still not enough…not even as good as the original JPEG SOOC.

So I assume there is a yet to be discovered step(s) that I should have taken, and I suspect that some time in the future I'll probably reengage the tutorials and learn about RAW, but just don't have a burning need at the present time.

ORIGINAL JPEG SOOC

SAME ORIGINAL JPEG AFTER THE FEW BASIC LR TWEAKS MENTIONED ABOVE

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    roundball - on my computer screen your pictures look identical.
    One thing I've noticed when comparing my jpeg files to their RAW file counterparts SOOC, they always seem to be somewhat brighter, especially if I've under exposed initially.

I wonder if your problem has to do with LR converting the RAW file to jpeg.

Gotta hand it to those Sony guys, the Nex-7 built-in jpeg file converter does a pretty nice job of it, as far as I'm concerned.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I could see a hint of difference between the side-by-side before & after view in LR...the 'clarity' and 'sharpener' functions made the "after" photo just ever so slightly sharper around the eye, but as you can see, the original right out of the camera is awfully, awfully good.

I made no changes to LR and have the understanding that (at least it's default setting) converts the output to JPEG, and I saw the .jpg extension when I exported it back to it's original folder. But I'm really just feeling my way around a smoke-filled room with LR at this point so take nothing I say as gospel.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    There is an "Image Data Converter" software utility that came with the NEX-7 software CD.
    I noticed when I double clicked on one of the RAW files, the "Image Data Converter" was launched.
    Didn't know anything about it, closed it, went to LR and imported a RAW file into LR.

But I guess I'll go back and poke around that IDC and see what it's about.

8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    IDC is a RAW converter as is LR. IDC also happens to be much more cumbersome and slow to use. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. If you are willing, I would love to take that RAW file and screw around with it
    in LR and see what I come up with. The Jpeg the camera spits out is basically the camera itself taking a RAW file and "converting" it through an internal "Lightroom/RAW converter" if you will, and spits out what ever adjustments Sony predetermined. A RAW file will always be bigger than a JPEG because the JPEG comes from RAW.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The lower sample is brighter than the SOOC sample on my monitor. A bit more detail around the face and feathers.
    But they are close.

I always shoot set to RAW+JPEG. This way I retain the all the raw data (albeit compressed) for later, and have a decent JPEG version to provide a copy immediately to those who want a copy.
    I think the onboard JPEG engine does a pretty good job, except for managing high ISO noise reduction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just as an update, I've spent a few more hours the past few days testing / learning Lightroom 5.7.
    Am getting a smooth enough work flow now for the few tweaks to my JPEGs, that all of today's photos went to Lightroom first, then up to Photobucket simply for online storage...no tweaking at PB.

I do have one question.
    Is there a way in Lightroom, to display the settings I used on a photo I previously tweaked in Lightroom?
    ( similar to the way we can look at EXIF data from a photo )

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yes, its in the tab "History" on the left side of the screen

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've checked all over first using the "LIBRARY" section, then using the "DEVELOP" section...can't seem to find the word "History" by itself anywhere. The only place I found the word 'history' is in one of the drop down menus and the choice there is called: "Clear History".

In case this might make a difference:
    I do not use RAW and I do not store my photos in LR.
    I use JPEGs and keep them stored on my hard drive.
    I simply launch LR if / when I want to try and tweak something in a JPEG.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    BTW, just so its clear, even though I store my photos on my hard dive, when I went looking for that "History" tab you mentioned, I did of course re-import a previously tweaked photo into LR for the purpose of checking for "History".

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's on the left side panel when you're in the Develop module, along with Navigator, Presets, Snapshots, and Collections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, here is a 'screenshot' of what I see...(had to do it in 2 halves, top & bottom)...and it makes no difference what else I click / open in any categories, menus, drop downs, etc...I find nothing labeled "History". What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    No photo selected? I assume you'll need to open a file.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No, even with no photo selected the History panel appears in my Lightroom interface. I have no explanation why it doesn’t appear on your screen, roundball. I've even gone into Martin Evening's Lightroom book to see if there were some setting that would allow you to remove it.

I can only guess as to what's happened, but I suspect that you may have clicked on some preset that removed it. It should be there. :confused:

Edit: If I right click on the left panel, a contextual menu pops up that allows me to enable or disable all of the subpanels on that panel. I bet the "History" subpanel is de-selected. Give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Right clicked on that area and the pop-up included HISTORY as one of the choices...it was not checked...checked it and it appeared in that left panel...thanks a lot !!

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just imported a photo, made some test tweaks, and the History feature works fine...a sequential listing of everything I did up to and including using the RESET function when I finished testing...thanks again.

20. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well then... My work is done here. :drinks: