1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Funny how a price drop gets you thinking...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The recent (and not unexpected) price drop of the 5n to $399 for the body has be thinking about moving on from my C3. I am not considering it because I don't like the C3 because I do and if I decide not to buy the 5n it won't be a big hardship. There are a few things however than the 5n will give me that the C3 does not. Those things are 24p video (which I didn't think I would miss from my GH2 but I do), the ability to use an EVF, and of all things a quieter shutter. The slight differences in IQ don't mean a whole lot to me. The mode dial, thumbwheel and built-in EVF of the NEX6 are pretty attractive but at less than half the price the $500 price difference is MORE attractive.

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The touch screen of 5N can also be handy for magnifying the focus area. I do that all the time on GH2 and G3 too.
    Although I always turn off the touch shutter.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I don't know how much improvement the 5N brings over the C3, but in its own right it's a brilliantly capable camera. I still haven't bonded with it the way I did with the GX-1. I still find the touchscreen dumbed down and close to useless in comparison (the sensitivity level is very different than that of the GX-1, it is hardly reliable, I just don't like it or use it much). The shutter is a heavy clank so I can only fear what the one of the C3 may be, lol.
    But swap a lens on this thing and start firing, the files grab you by the eyes and just make you happy. Can't wait for Sony to take my money for a 6 !!

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I'll keep the C3 until I make sure the 5n is doing what I think it will. I gave the NEX 6 a lot of thought and the combination of the mode dial, thumb wheel and built-in EVF were attractive but I figured at $399 for the body the 5n was such a bargain that I really didn't have much to lose. I was pretty happy with the C3 so I am thinking the 5n will be about the same experience but with a bit better images and a few niceties thrown in.

5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    The NEX's haven't changed much since the first generation, so I wouldn't hope too heavily on the NEX6 as changing much. But I am using the electronic first curtain shutter on the 5n, which at least reduces the worlds-worst-shutter-noise-ever by about half.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    You obviously haven't heard the mechanical shutter on a Russian Zenit SLR! :)

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    LOL. No. No I haven't.

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I shot dozens of thousands of pictures with my NEX-5 over the last couple of years (2 and a half I think) and I always liked the "hands up or I shoot again"-like shutter sound. ;)

Hybrid-AF, a faster shutter lag and a EVF would be great, but I think my next purchase will be the Zeiss 12mm, so I'll have to go with my NEX-5 at least 18 more months - and I like it!

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I dunno my Konica T2 might give it a run

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    LOL... are you sure about that, here... judge for your self!

[video=youtube;d0YAtNa43WY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YAtNa43WY[/video]

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Okay let me dig out my Konica TC and T2...I'll upload it and you can decide.

12. Bradwin Cruz

Bradwin Cruz New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2012
    Now that the new NEX cameras have built-in EVFs, anyone know if the price of the EVF for NEX-5N is going to go down?