Full Time Infrared Conversion

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Years ago, I converted a Canon D30 (not a 30D) to full time Infrared and liked the results quite a bit...
There were several problems with this camera: 1. it was quite heavy and I seldom brought it anywhere because of that weight... 2. it could not mount EFS lenses and many of my Canon lenses were for APSC... 3. Many lenses caused hot spots and focusing could be chancy...
However, since I have embraced Sony APSC cameras (I own the A6400 and A6500); I am seriously contemplating getting a used A6000 and converting it to full time IR work or buying an A6000 that has already been converted. The Sony mirrorless cameras are said to be great platforms for IR conversion and I have a plethora of e-mount lenses that I could use. An APSC camera would add less than a pound to my kit which is well within reason...
The A6000 might be my choice because of the price but, I would certainly not turn my nose down at an A6300 or later models if the price were right...
Is anyone shooting with a Sony APSC A6xxx camera converted to I.R... If so, where did you get the conversion and what are some of the pros and cons of that setup?
I was not satisfied with my Canon conversion and the company is no longer in business...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Not an APSC model, I got my A7ii converted. Mine was done by Alan Burch on the Isle of wight, excellent service but I guess wouldn't be convenient for you (based on the time of your post you're not in the UK).
E-mount cameras are great for conversion, with a full spectrum conversion you can still see the image despite any filters added to the system (effectively giving you any type of conversion you wish), you have a huge range of older lenses that can easily be used with the camera (Old lenses are typically less prone to hot spots)...
With some models you can even get clip in filters that mount behind the lens & restore it to normal visual only use.

I came across a useful global listing of conversion companies which might be of use.
Infrared Camera Conversion Service: The Complete Provider Overview

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I've not done it myself, but the two vendors I see mentioned most often are Kolari and Life Pixel. I cannot recall who Ted used for his conversions, maybe he will chime in at some point.

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
My A6000 was converted to Hyper Color IR by LifePixel. I'm very pleased with the results.

I have a NEX5T converted by KolariVision to 720nm. Works great, but I suggest a camera with a viewfinder.

I also have a Nikon D3200 converted to 590nm done by another company that also works well.

Infrared is a lot of fun and opens an entirely new and interesting venue. I wholeheartedly suggest it.

I tried to upload some examples, but I get error messages and can't post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom