1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full Manual Mode NEX-7 + Canon FD Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Jul 6, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As I've been working through the overwhelming amount of technical capabilities on my first digital camera (NEX-7), since using Canon FD lenses on my Canon A1's back in film days, more and more things are becoming 2nd nature as I learn the camera's ins & outs...becoming less and less overwhelming.

For the first several months I mainly set ISO and used Aperture mode, letting the camera pick the shutter speed...simple approach, etc.

Then recently I spent a couple months using Shutter mode, setting the Aperture, and using AUTOISO to pick the ISO...but had too many noisy shots from high ISO settings for my liking.

Today I decided I was ready to explore full manual...and so far, I'm impressed...very optimistic that this may be an overall best solution for me.
    I'm pretty comfortable selecting ISO based upon conditions, and basically just use 100/200/400 depending on intensity of light levels...so I do that first.

Then I set the shutter speed to be at least the reciprocal of the lens I'm using...for hand holding a step or two above focal length.
    (ie: 135mm I set shutter at 160 or 200)

THEN...when setting Aperture...the nice surprise I found with full Manual mode is a "MM" scale across the bottom of the screen.
    It tells me if my exposure is going to be correct...( sitting on "0" )...or under exposed by -1, -2, etc....or over exposed by +1, +2, etc.
    So far I've just been tweaking exposure with changes to aperture settings, using that "MM scale".

For me at least, it seems like a straight forward way to deal with exposure using all manual lenses.....progress...so far, so good.

• Like Like x 2
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The Tri-Nav controls of the NEX-7 combined with focus peaking make it fun to go full manual mode. I've been strongly considering the A6000 but don't want to depart with the NEX-7's controls.

Good luck with your further explorations!

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, exposure will be correct for the type of metering that you've selected. Depending on your subject matter, it's fairly easy to under- or over-expose if the camera's metering isn't set correctly, i.e., you've got spot metering selected by mistake from a previous shot. Even with all of the recent technological advances, these cameras still don't have a DWIM (do what I mean) button. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    DWIM.....LOL...true that.
    And on the point about Spot Metering...I only just learned that's much better for me shooting small subjects like birds, etc.
    Plus, on the NE X-7, a small Circle Spot appears in the view finder... hppefully that'll also remind me to go back to Center or Weighted for landscape shots...which are the minority for me.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    From the first day I got my Nex-5 (2 years ago) , to the Nex-6 now I've always shoot in Manual mode. Did it before with the legacy adapted lenses and doing the same with the native e-mount lens - I like to have full control of the camera's parameters