Full frame NEX in the pipeline

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mobias, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    So if this latest rumour is to be believed we'll have a full frame NEX in about a years time from Sony. Be interesting to see how it ends up looking and what its features are. A full frame NEX would be desirable for a few reasons and could possibly be a real game changer for Sony in the same way the RX-1 is proving to be. Would people here buy one?

(SR5) Full Frame mirrorless from Sony coming in almost exactly one year! 24 or 30-32 Megapixel! | sonyalpharumors

The comments underneath that are interesting.
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    It would depend on how many body parts I would need to sell to finance it but in principle yes I would be interested in a FF NEX.
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Yes I would be very interested also, but I'm not a photographer for a living. I can not see spending 3,000 on a hobby camera. I'm not rich. On the other hand if I start saving now.......
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I'll wait and see, I'm not sure I'll want a FF camera. For landscape and close-up I usually want to maximize depth-of-field and that just means stopping down more on FF. Legacy lenses? Don't know about that, especially wide-angle lenses are bound to disappoint when using their full image circle. And a year from now is a long way away: I was sure that I'd buy a Panasonic GH3 and the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 and look what I've ended up with: sell-off of the Panny 45-175mm and a NEX-6 with a Sigma 19/2.8 and Minolta MD adapter.

It's too early to tell if I will even maintain the NEX system, let alone include a FF variant. At least kudos to Sony if they will stick with the E-mount also for FF. Concerning price, if Sony can sell an RX-1 with a high-calibre lens for € 3000, a price point of € 2000 for an E-mount FF seems likely, maybe after an initial period with a higher price.
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Honestly I'd be much more interested in a square sensor of up to 30mm so I could crop however I want. No more turning the camera to get a portrait oriented pic. Still get good coverage with FF lenses, or just electronically crop aps-c lenses.

Never happen, but I can dream. :)
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Yeah, nice idea. Indeed, never gonna happen :).
  7. mobias

Nov 4, 2012
    I think whatever they do it'll have to be more than just a NEX with an A99 sensor in it. Its been pretty much worked out that it would be impossible for them to make a full frame work with E mount lenses so what that rumour seems to be suggesting is that you can have E mount lenses with sensor crop or you can use A mount lenses and have it full frame. There was another rumour from a few weeks back that Sony are also pushing ahead with Foveon sensor technology so perhaps that will be included. That would be a huge selling point but they would have to somehow over come the Foveon sensors inherent weaknesses at high ISO.

8. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    Very good idea with the 30*30mm sensor where the present fullframe lenses could be used. I would definately be interested in a camera like that if the price is within reach. Much more interesting than a FF NEX. Perhaps a 30*30mm NEX?
  9. mobias

Nov 4, 2012
    Sony said recently that they really want to shake up the photographic world so you never know. People thought the RX-1 would never happen and they were the manufacturer that delivered it much to peoples surprise.
  10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It's funny how they categorize their rumours... and the FF Nex is a Category 5, yay! :)
  11. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I'd definitely want one, but as Kevin said, that'll depend on price point, too. It'd need to have GOOD autofocus as well, not the pale imitation of AF we're dealing with now (even if a mass hallucination has it that NEX AF is indeed useful). What I want most for NEX now beside AF improvement is in-camera 1:1 ratio !!!
  12. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Certainly a very interesting proposition, but having come from ff Canons, I don't know that I need to revisit the format.
    Yes, price would be a very big consideration.
  13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Where can I go to pre-order? ;)