1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full Frame NEX going to be freakin' expensive!!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jefenator, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    (SR5) NEX-9 will be more expensive than the RX1. What is your opinion? | sonyalpharumors

This news/rumor comes as a bit of a disappointment to me. I was fully prepared for the NEX-9 or (whatever they were going to call it) to be significantly more than the NEX-7. But not over $3K!

This could be somewhat of a game-changer to me. I found the NEX-7 to be a relative bargain in terms of what it does - that's what made the decision to buy it so very easy!

But if this rumor proves true, if I still have a major hankering to go full-frame, for $3K there are now numerous alternatives. Instead of a NEX-9 body-only, I could get a Nikon D600, use the Nikkor lenses I already have and get a few new AF primes.

It could well be that this NEX-9 was never intended for my market niche (somewhat-budget-conscious enthusiast) at all. I wish them well with what they are doing, but after almost a year of hoping and yearning for this upcoming full-frame NEX, I am now starting to look towards other solutions. (... including just staying with APS-C - it actually has a slight advantage for much of what I currently do)

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Very disappointing. I'd also look at something like a D800 or used D3 if I was going to drop $3k on a camera body. Noway on earth an NEX is worth that kinda money.

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Sony can decide to charge premium for FF NEX, but they will lose quite a lot of buyers, like me, for a while.

I fully agree with Jeff. For those want FF, at least this year, Nikon D600 or Canon 6D might be a better choice. Especially when there was deal like last Christmas, D600 + kit lens for $2000. I really like the backward compatibility of Nikon system, you can use all the MF AI/AI-S lenses on the latest body.

So, NEX might just be the APS-C system for me, until the FF NEX price comes down. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the D600.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I guess you're gonna have to pay to play. For what I would want a FF camera for (landscapes), I'd pop for something like this instead.

Then again, I never had a real burning desire for a FF body anyway.

5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Having used FF for some years, I switched to APSC fully a year ago. I have no plans to go back to it. It certainly is not worth the extra expense in my opinion.

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    This is almost certainly being determined by the imminent launch of the new Leica 'M'.

The 'FF' NEX is currently the only 'alternative' to the new Leica and will presumably overlap it in many respects, not least the ability to use Leica M primes (which D800/D600 can't do) The Leica at 7kUSD means that the Sony at 3kUSD would look like a possible 'giant killer'.......

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Bit too rich for my blood I'd say.

In some ways the rumour does make sense.

- It's going to be a FF MILC, that in itself will command a high premium.
    - Whether it's going to be the successor to the NEX-7 or separate line up altogether (Sony could release a Nex-7N or NEX-7R, etc..) either way it's going to most likely have upgraded features. Again reason for a higher premium.

Then again a couple of things just doesn't sound right

- The lenses are going to be "very expensive"? I am assuming that since this is a NEX camera it is going to be an E mount, with the exception of the 24mm Sonnar, E-mount lenses tend to be not that expensive, unless Sony decides to price their upcoming lenses (Zeiss, G and 20mm pancake) astronomically high, I can't see any basis for lens pricing.
    - With the current E-mount lens design what will the lens fall off be like when mounting an E-mount lens on a FF sensor when current E-mount lenses were designed to cover APS-C sized sensors. It's going to be the same mount, won't the registration distance between the element and the sensor be the same? How will the current lens line up behave with the FF sensor and vice versa? (I guess this is something for Sony engineers)

I'm sure the rumored NEX-9 will have it's charm but for me personally it's hard to consider it at the price they are indicating it will cost.

At that price, If I was going to purchase one, adapt lenses and manual focus using focus peaking, I'd just save a few more dollars get a Leica M-E for $4250 (even less grey) and be done with it, at least I know that the body will retain it's market value after 5 years.

8. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I do hope they meet their design goals and manage to win over some prestigious DSLR shooters. I am a huge fan of the mirrorless concept, so even if this model may not be for me, I still want it to be successful. I want this design to catch on so that a few years down the road, there will be a plethora of MILC options in various formats.

On the other hand, what's up with the lenses being "expensive"? Even the 50mm???

I guess this is partly a foray into Leica's territory and the FF e-mount lenses will probably will probably seem very affordable and practical by those standards - and have AF.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If Sony treats a FF still camera like they did their FF video camera then the existing e-mount lenses would activate a crop mode and use the center of the sensor.

That does not preclude Sony making a lens that would cover a FF sensor and still use the e-mount as it is certainly large enough to do so. I think everybody expects a NEX FF camera to use the same 18mm lens registration distance that the current NEX uses. There is nothing I'm aware of that makes this either necessary or desirable from an engineering standpoint.

The NEX 7 already has issues with color shift/vignette with UWA lenses. Using a longer registration distance takes some of the engineering load off if you're trying to cover a FF sensor.

That's my take on it, worth every penny you paid for it. ;)

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That actually makes a lot of sense, although using a longer registration distance while alleviating issues with UWA lenses will increase camera size, the RX1 has a small compact body due to the lens being fixed and Sony doesn't have to worry about UWA lenses mounted to it, then again we're talking in mm so I guess it wouldn't be substantial.

Lenswise,I'm also interested in what they are planning to do, they already have most of the popular focal lengths (50, 35, 20) and zooms, is Sony going to re-boot it's current line up with Zeiss and G equivalents for their FF body?

The rumored NEX-9 might be out of my budget, but it's shaping up to be something quite interesting and I am looking forward how it turns out.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Cheap. Good. Full frame. Pick two.

Btw - a longer registration distance would make it another mount, which would make possible E-Mount ff lenses incompatible on current bodies as well as current lenses on the ff body - not even in crop mode.

12. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hence my confusion

13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I wonder whether Sony really think people will pay that much for miniaturization when the RX1 already exists. I think more photographers would pay for a full feature-set which a FF NEX would have to be. If it was merely a smaller 6D or ILC RX1 I doubt it would sell.

Sony mispriced their A99, good as it was, and it still hasn't taken off. If Samsung beat them to a mirrorless FF as the rumor mills suggest, it's going to be hard selling it at more than $3k.

14. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Wow! That would be worth a try at $499, but 140+ GB files will add up quick.

15. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Majority of the potential Leica customers would not even consider a Sony, I think. Certainly adapting Leica glass customers are not a mainstream and I doubt even the most optimistic Sony marketing people would look at their sales this way.
    I am not quite sure why anybody would think about adapting Leica M glass on Nikon FFs. Nikon has excellent lenses without needing to resort to adapting business.
    Anyway my point is that Sony would be unique (at least for a while) in this market space. I say 'would be' because I don't quite believe Sony is even close to releasing FF Nex. Rumours published on SAR look to be simply a BS /or wishful thinking/ far too often. I am sure Sony will produce FF mirrorless camera at some point but we do not even know if it's going to be a Nex mount camera, I personally doubt it.
    BTW something like RX10 would make much more sense. Fuji X100 needs a competitor.

16. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Calm down! Calm down!

It's just a rumour, also known as gossip.

I'm sure if or when Sony decides to release a 35mm mirrorless camera they will let us know when it's ready. I expect they will even tell us how much they are going to charge for it.

Then we can all comment to our hearts content based on solid information.

17. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    A high price tag makes sense. Sony could hardly charge less for an interchangable full frame camera than it charges for the RX1. And, it's going to take a bit of new technology to get full frame edge to edge quality for a range of lenses rather than a single, tuned, lens. There will also have to be some new lenses with an eye on size. Sure, you could use Alphas, but then you might as well use a DSLR. And if you can afford Leica lenses with an adaptor, then you can afford to pay a premium price anyway.

Leica competition, Leica-like prices?

18. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The RX1 includes a gorgeous 35mm f/2 Carl Zeiss lens. The 24mm f/1.8 CZ for E-Mount, which is close in specs and equivalent focal length, costs 1000. Make it full frame and it costs at least 1.300. Subtract the rebate you get when selling it in a bundle, and it's still about 900 bucks. So, sell the RX1 with EVF and interchangeable mount for less than the current RX1? Possible for sure, but not what Sony is after.

I still don't get why everyone wants a ff E-Mount system. And I also don't think it makes sense in Sony's strategy. A camcorder? Sure! You don't need a single native lens on a camcorder, because AF is a pointless feature there anyways. But nowadays you need native AF lenses on mirrorless bodies to get people to buy them. Making a bigger version of the LA-EA2? Great, but why not just build a ff Alpha then, where the balance with big Sony Zeiss ff lenses would be much better? Oh right, the A99 is here already. But people somehow always seem to want the things they can't get now - and will complain about price, specs, size or something else once Sony decides to release it.

19. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Or maybe: Cheap. Good. Full-frame. Compact. Pick three.

It looks as though Sony is aiming for the last three while I am looking more for the first three.

20. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Don't worry, I am completely calm... like a cucumber :D.
    I used to follow SAR but eventually got bored with their claims and their access to mysterious "highly trusted sources". It takes some creativity to come up with 3 rumours every day.