Fujifilm X10

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ryandigweed, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011

Around a year back or a few months back. Fujifilm Released the X100 which was an extremely good looking DSLR camera, with allot of options. But it was too heavy with a price tag of 1200$
    This camera reminded me of Leica Cameras, and was something definitely a Leica Camera owner wannabee would have been wanting to get their hands on.

Now there is the X10, which is supposed to be a cheaper version of the X100.

Main Features:

(1) Newly-developed F2.0 wide-angle and F2.8 telephoto, bright FUJINON 4x optical manual barrel zoom lens
    (2) Combining a bright optical viewfinder with a wide viewing-angle and a manual barrel zoom lens
    (3) Newly-developed large 2/3" 12 megapixel EXR-CMOS sensor and advanced EXR Processor
    (4) The X10’s elegant design has inherited the look and feel of the X100, along with its "made in Japan" seal of quality
    (5) Fujifilm's unique functions for adjusting image quality

Price= 400-600$ (It's supposed to be half the price of the X100)

I Really love the x100, and now the x10. I seem to be fascinated with them :) I would Prefer this to carrying around some Compact Point and Shoot, but not really prefer it to carrying around a normal 550D, 60D, D3100, D5100 since its very pricey.

Fujifilm Must be wondering if the Amateur photographers are going to go for the X10, since the X100 was lovely, but quite pricey for people to buy.

Since this is a NEX forum, it would be best to get you guys opinions on this camera, since you'll are into compact DSLR's :) Please feel free to discuss bellow.

Product Page
  2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    It is indeed a beautiful looking camera ... but I'm not going to spend $400-$600 on a camera with a tiny image sensor. The 4/3 and m4/3 image sensor is about as small as I'm willing to go in terms of sacrificing high ISO performance.

Every time I buy a camera with a smaller image sensor I end up regretting it a few months later.

Considering that Fry's was selling the NEX-3 with lens for $299 this week there is just no way that I'd buy this for $400.
  3. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    It looks like a nice wee camera and in some ways, it's more like what the X100 should have been like bar the small size. The X100 should have been given a bright zoom lens as the X10 does but, the X10 is too small both in sensor size and in body size. But it's a big improvement in comparison to the Pentax Q. I went for the the NEX-5N because of the large sensor rather than going for a Panasonic or an Olympus camera.

Cheers, Macjim.
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I didn't realize how small it was until I saw the photos with the guy holding it. I think it has a lot going for it, and in many ways it is the camera I was waiting for for a long time. However, now that it's here, I'm more interested in the Micro 4/3 and Sony NEX class of cameras, with the greater low light and shallow DOF opportunities that the interchangeable lens cameras allow.
  5. Salander

Salander New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    Actually, the body size looks about perfect to me. (Sensor size is surely a different matter.) But then I'm a woman of average size, it's probably different for taller people.

For an older person, it is quite funny to realize that it has taken manufacturers about 20 years to (re) discover the significance of a decent viewfinder... (I know that many photographers don't care for a vf at all, that's fine, whatever works for them.)

I'm wearing glasses, so I'm guessing that the new vf of the NEX 5N or something similar would work better for me than that of the X-100 or X-10. But still, the X-10 looks linke a great everyday companion.
  6. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Yes, I thought that too! Manufacturers are going back to tried and tested designs and are now realising users WANT optical viewfinders, and even though I've ordered the NEX-5N, I'll eventually get the OLED viewfinder (I'm a glasses wearer too!)

Cheers, Macjim.
  7. ryandigweed

Sep 2, 2011
    yeah it definitely looks tiny. :S ..I guess it's not that hard to notice. Quite pricey for this tiny unit. i think we're better off with a NEX, but i guess Sony has started this Compact DSLR trend, and now soon there's going to be many to follow.
  8. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I think the X10 will be good competition for the likes of the Canon S95 and the Oly XZ-1 and probably the Nikon P7000 which doesn't get a good write anyway and of course the canon G12.
    I wish I had know about this cam: before I bought the Oly, all that said I love my NEX 5 and its articulated LCD.
    I do agree very much with Salander post.
  9. ryandigweed

Sep 2, 2011
    Yeah slander's post makes sense. Probably you're better off with your Olympus :) It's has a bigger sensor, does it not?..

this X10 wouldn't be far from your budget, but it's pretty tiny as well. LOL The P7000 also is good, even the canon. If i had the money i might go for the Canon or p7000 on a budget. :)