1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji X vs NEX AF, please comment only if you've tried BOTH

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Dec 25, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    .. in the flesh.
    Ok, every reviewer on Earth has chimed in regarding how the wonderfull Fuji X camera's weakness is their AF. OTOH, many many reviewers seem to be find NEX AF usable enough to not make any particular negative comment on it.
    Personally, finding it very lame (and that's using the new PDAF body and updated lens), I'd be really curious to know how somebody using both would compare them ? Christilou maybe ? Anyone else ?
    Fell free to chime in if you've used both, in good light, in poor light, speed, accuracy, etc...

2. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    BUMP. Anybody ???

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Hi nianys.

I use the NEX 5N, Fuji X100 and X PRO 1. To do a detailed comparison of the 3 cameras here would be overload for both reader and writer.

Firstly, have a look here, if you haven't already done so, for info and opinions on Fuji X cameras Fuji X Forum. A pretty passionate bunch of people, but good info nonetheless.

Briefly. Regarding focus speed, I find little difference between the 3 cameras in practical everyday use. I have found that the Fuji's, particularly the X PRO 1 lock focus quicker and more consistently when set to MF and using the AFL/AEL button, this is the method of focus that I have adopted for all my shooting now.

It should be noted that I do not shoot in low light (very often), so I cannot comment on focus speed in that situation. That said, I believe the Fuji X cameras to be superior when it comes to high ISO settings, I have done enough low light shooting to have stablished that.

Focus speed is not an issue for me, so all three cameras do what I need. I choose the camera according to my mood and what it is that I am photographing.

The one thing I will say for the NEX 5N focus system (using 19 and 30 Sigmas exclusively) is that it is consistently accurate, far more so than the Fuji X PRO1, but on a par with the X100. I have very few scrappers with the NEX and X100. X PRO scrappers are always down to a focus shortcoming of some sort. I live in hope that Fuji will release firmware to bring the XP1 up to speed as they did eventually with the X100. We shall see.

If you are looking to the Fuji for quicker AF, I think you might be disappointed. Go to your local Fuji stockist and ask to play with one. The XP1 and 35mm 1.4 is a deadly combination when it comes to IQ. The 60mm is as sharp but focus is much slower.

All in all, the Fuji X PRO is a really nice camera, but..........................

Don't know whether any of that helps.

All the best.

Rich. :cool:

4. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I've tried the X-Pro in a store several times over a few month period, but that was before the software upgrade and before the XE1. At the time the only comparison I had was my dSLR, and the Fuji was terrible in that comparison. The best experience I had that I can share regarding it's AF: I took it over to where the store had all it's camera cases, which was a wall full of similar dark colored cases. That's where it struggled and hunted. I also had the sales associate stand in front of a wall of picture frames, and it was hit or miss there. It was quick, but usually choosing the frames instead of the person. Obviously these are not scientifically proven tests, but those were my observations. A few months later I tried the NEX in the same store and it felt noticeably better in both situations. My other issue with the X-Pro was the size. It's surprisingly large. Haven't seen an XE-1 in the flesh yet.

I really want to like the Fuji's, but my biggest concern is the RAW processing which appears to be a little funky with the X-trans sensor at the moment. JPEG rendering, however, makes it very tempting. Fuji certainly knows color! Also, the lack of focus peaking is a little bit of a drawback, however the retro styling and perfect control placement are another plus. If I could just have both...

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes Rich, it does help tremendously !!
    The combo I'm eying is XE-1 + 35/1.4. That'd be what I'd be looking at IF (it's a pretty expensive IF), I was to succomb to the call (not very likely, though).
    My question was more related to the "myth" aspect of things. Like Fuji is dead slow (??°, new NEX are quick (not, in my experience anyway).
    With m4/3 I had found the one lens I would take everywhere and rely on and just not think about, it was the PL 25/1.4 (probably the best all around piece of optics I've played with, and I've had many very, very nice lenses in the past). It is weird because this lens is on the shortish side for my tastes (a pure 50 normal equivalent), but I just bonded with it. With 1:1 ratio enabled, the crop gave an effective slightly longer foal length which suited my vision just perfectly. The Pen 38 on the NEX is close, but it's a manual lens, and as much as I love MF, there are times when I long for FAST, reliable AF. Not acceptable, mind you, really fast and awesome (that's where all my bitching originates from, NEX AF can be acceptable, it's just not FAST).
    Anyway I'm now thinking of the new 35/1.8, just wish the price tag was a bit lower, and I don't even know if it's available in Europe yet...
    Thanks again for your feedback on the Fujis, my first DSLR ever was the S1 Pro, so I just KNOW I'll have to tackle one of the X's, sooner or later ;)

6. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I'm sure one day mirror less AF will be as fast as DSLR's. It would be nice to think so.

I still have my Canon DSLR's for when I need fast focus, but I use the Fuji's and NEX far, far more. One of them, usually the NEX is with me wherever I go. Strange, but I find my mirrorless cameras to be a pain in the a**e in a number of ways, but I just cant stop using them!

I love them simply because they have improved my photography, I have to think about the picture now. I used my Canon's like Uzi's, just hold the button down at 8 frames a second, theres got to be a good one in there somewhere type of approach!

Yeah, the RAW processing is an issue at the moment, although it can be done using a combination of software. It will come right eventually I'm sure. The X Trans sensor has a hell of a lot to offer, we just cant get the best out of it yet.

I can honestly say that although the NEX, X100 and X PRO 1 all have their shortcomings, I will never sell or trade any of them!

7. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I've found the focus on the XPro 1 improved after the last firmware update but still not blazingly fast and snappy like the Olympus EM5. I've been quite satisfied with the AF on the NEX 5R so I guess my expectations have not been set so high! I'd say that the NEX is more accurate. I've not been using the Fuji much lately but picked it up again a couple of days ago and I'm blown away all over again by that 35mm 1.4 combo. The Fuji colours, that lens, I'm prepared to put up with it's foibles :) Sorry not to be much help nianys! Merry Christmas.

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Following on from christilou's post above. Good point!

I think if a camera is delivering the goods for the individual as far as picture quality goes, it pays to stick with it, and work with it to find the "work arounds" and "tricks" that really makes it usable, in as much as one can that is. There will always be a shortcoming of some sort.

And, as christilou says, the X PRO 1 and 35 1.4 is a mind blowing combination, which is what makes me stick with it. Likewise my 5N and 30mm Sigma.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well, I might be picky and spoiled, because having the latest (and said "best" by some) NEX, I still feel the need to "stick with it", due to lovely IQ. I do like the RF styling, the build quality is very good, feels solid and reliable. It's moderately sexy (doesn't hit the perfect balance yet as the GX-1 did, but that's also a matter of personal taste, I realize), but overall it's a very likable camera.
    Now if Sony could give me a FAST AFin fast prime, I'd be toast. I'll probably get the 35/1.8 when it becomes available at Amazon, so if it's not on par with what I want, I can return it (which I did the excellent SEL 50).
    The XE-1 will settle in price within the year, and there will be 35/1.4 on the used market by then...

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    There you go nianys. stick with that NEX, it sounds real good to me! :D