1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji X-Pro 1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Phoenix, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Fuji-X-Pro1-camera.

With my NEX-7 coming in the 3rd week of January the news regarding the announcement and release (apparently this February) of the Fuji X-Pro 1 makes me think 'ohhh nooooooo...must...stop...GAS...' the specs leaked are very impressive and the camera itself looks quite beautiful. I am not planning to purchase one as I have already invested on the NEX (not to mention I can't afford one) but who knows? maybe if I win the Powerball or if a rich distant relative passes on and leaves me a lot of money in their will, we'll see.

What I'm curious about is how will Sony react to this, the NEX-7 is undoubtedly a huge success and they will want to continue with this success (as well as the continues increase of their sales figues), more importantly I am curious how will the other 'Big' companies react to it, it's fairly evident that mirrorless cameras are really blurring the line between a prosumer and a point and shoot cameras and to deny this is simply putting one's head in the sand.

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    OMG : Eek:

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I'm considering an NEX-7 is the next few months and this wouldn't change my mind. I don't think Sony need to respond to this since the thinking behind this is very different form the NEX range. Of course. if it were to spur them on to producing a 35 1.4 of their own that would be nice.

While the lens range might appeal to prime enthusiasts it has no appeal for me. 18(=27) isn't wide angle in my book. While the Sony 16 my not be the world's best lens at least the option is there. Also for me a fast standard zoom is my default lens. If Sony didn't have one in the pipeline I wouldn't have bought a NEX. It's only now that Panasonic have one coming that I would seriously consider M43.

I'm sure it will be a very nice camera, but it's more of a 'boutique' product than the NEX cameras, including the NEX-7.

4. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    I suspect we will see new models , lens choices etc. Sony is really the only one big enough to challange Nikon and Cannon. Some think Sony will respond by cutting prices , I doubt it . Historically they have added horizontal value to products such as the Game Systems vs cutting prices.

5. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Thanks dude, That actually really knocked some sense into me and made me look at the wider picture (pardon the pun), I'm still impressed with this camera but I'm no longger GASing for it.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    3 months ago, I didn't even know that the NEX series existed. Back then, had I seen the X-Pro1 I would've been thrilled by it's appearance. But now that I've had the 5N for a while and loving everything about it (although I sometimes wish it was a little bit bigger), when I look at the X-Pro1 I can't help but think that it's too big! Electronics are so micro-sized now (an iPhone probably has more functions) and with the absence of mechanisms, I was wondering 'what's inside all of that cubic space?' There could be enough spare room to pack my lunch in there, lol :eek: (just kidding)

Anyway, I now think the NEX7 (which is slightly bigger than the 5N) is the perfect size... not to big, not too small.

7. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    This is what I posted 6 or so months ago, so what happened since then? did I give in to GAS? am I dissatisfied with the NEX-7? read on...

First and foremost let me address the elephant in the room, the question of "which is better?", I’ll give the same answer everytime I am asked this question, "A HOLGA". The main problem is in all Xpro and NEX-7 threads there is the inclusion of the word "VS" where one "HAS" to be better than the other, where there has to be a winner and a loser, where everyone one has their own preference and if you do not subscribe to their point of view then youre either a hater or a fanboy, when the simple truth is THEY ARE BOTH AWESOME CAMERAS AND IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO LIKE BOTH. It’s sad that most of today's photography blogs has been less about photography and is more about gear, It is for this reason that I no longer display the gear that I use for the images I take, I’d like people to enjoy the images for what it is, good or bad, and give their comments or criticisms, rather than looking at the images and just see the tools used to make it (certainly you don’t ask to see the spatula the chef used when you want to comment on how delicious the meal was, do you?) They can view the exif or ask me if they wish to find out (just my personal preference).

To illustrate my point I’ll use a visual analogy

The NEX-7
    F1.

The X Pro-1
    M1.

Comparing these two cameras is really like comparing apples and oranges, it’s really hard (and in a way pointless) to compare both cameras as the only thing they have in common is that they both take photos. They handle differently, they operate differently, they shoot differently, (refer to the car analogy)and whatever functions, merits, and flaws either camera has, when you sit down and have a good feel for it, the penny will drop and you’ll tell yourself “….this (function, button, etc..)actually makes a lot of sense in this camera” .
    To me the XPro really feels like a digitised version of the Contax G2, for anyone who has used a G2 you’ll feel right at home, same as if you have used a rangefinder in the past, it handles and operates like a rangefinder (as you can see I used the word “like” as I don’t want to upset the keepers of the elitist rangefinder flame by calling the Xpro a rangefinder as it doesn’t use a rangefinder’s focusing patch to focus…..wow....big bloody deal…) shooting and composition is very similar to a rangefinder (provided that you use the OVF, which I have to admit did not expect and came as a pleasant surprise) as you have to adjust and account for parallax and you have to compose using the framelines in the OVF. If you have never used a rangefinder before or if you are expecting it to behave like a DSLR then it will probably go south of your expectation.

The NEX-7 on the otherhand operates like a DSLR, shoots like a DSLR, composes like a DSLR, but does not handle like a DSLR or a Rangefinder, it handles quite uniquely as it theoretically is a miniature DSLR (or DSLT if you want to stay true to the Sony lingo) focusing and composition is done through the lens. The external controls of the NEX-7 is also unique to it, where the Xpro follows a more traditional rangefinder layout. (Refer to the car analogy)

Both of them are quite a joy to use and I use whichever I feel like at the time, you may ask what do I prefer between the two? (Please refer above to my answer regarding “which is better?”) I’m sure there will be some who will disagree to my statements, and say that one is better than the other, others will probably say that I’m wrong, or that the smurfs are really red, they might even imply that their real father is Mickey Mouse, but hey, who am I to argue? This is just in my humble opinion.

I am aware that both cameras are not exactly cheap, I consider myself very lucky to own both cameras (and that my partner does not read what I post here and that she does not check my bank records) it took some sacrifice and meticulous saving for me to be able to afford both cameras and some people will just want to get one, so they’ll ask “which one should I get? (A Holga?) to be perfectly honest only YOU can answer that question, don’t worry about image quality or noise, if you’re shooting raw or if you’re gonna post process your images why bother with noise or IQ? If IQ is the be all and end all and you are going to print poster sized prints on a daily basis then you are looking at the wrong type of cameras my friend, there are specific cameras for that type of photography. So head towards a brick and mortar shop and play around with both cameras as much as you can, better yet rent one out or borrow it from someone, as this will be the best way to find out which will you will prefer to use.

As both of them are truly wonderful tools.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Well said!

I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind if you showed us some pics of your "spatula"... :)

9. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hahaha! :p Don't get me wrong, gear talk is a lot of fun, and one can learn a lot from reading forums and reviews about gear, but there comes a point where it just becomes all about the gear.

I had a look previously for reviews for the NEX-7 and rest assured there are heaps to be found, there are countless reviews, blogs, previews, etc... and the same can be said with the Xpro, but if you put these two cameras together and do a search, things get ugly very fast, from blogs filled with trolls and narrow minded clowns to comparisons and reviews from "so called experts" that will lead you to believe that their opinions are the only ones that count (now that I mentioned that, please support my growing family by making a donation.......) it was almost impossible to find an objective comparative review for both cameras that say "Here are 2 cameras that are really good and are really different, both has their merits and quirks, one will be for you and the other one wont" instead there's been much negativity and pen*s measuring. Amin mentioned the idea in one of the podcasts in SC regarding creating a site that does not mention gear at all, I actually quite liked that idea a lot.

I wont take a "holier than thou" stand in which I'll maintain I dont care about gear at all, I love gear as much as the next person, but they will always take a back seat when I am looking at images.