1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FT/FD lenses to Nex-6 question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Keppelj, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Keppelj

Keppelj TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    I'm a new NEX-er stumbling over a problem I've solved before but can't now: How to get the camera set to manual focus in camera set-up. IOW it won't show f-stops in A,S and M. The adaptor is the right FD to Nex and it's on right, dot to dot clicked in place. It's set to "open" when I insert and tighten the fd/ft lens(es). In setup release w/o lens is enabled and the peaking set. In "Camera", however, I can't switch to MF as it says the lens is not installed correctly. What hair-brained mistake am I making?

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Go into the menu and set 'release shutter without lens'.......

3. Keppelj

Jul 26, 2013
    Oops, sorry I didn't mention that - done that too

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Make sure the lens is mounted correctly to the adapter (In "open" mode)

If you are using a manual focus lens, there is nothing you need to tell the camera to do MF - The lack of contacts will essential inform the camera that auto focus cannot be done.

But your question doesn't appear to be about MF, since you said, " IOW it won't show f-stops in A,S and M". A manual lens will never have the f-stop on displayed on the camera - There are no electrical contacts for the lens to pass the information to the camera. Since the NEX camera uses live-view, just use the f-stop on the lens and the camera will adjust shutter/ISO accordingly.

What you might be missing is if you want to focus wide open, but take the picture stopped down. In that case:
    • Slide the barrel on the adapter to the "open" setting.
    • Mount the FD lens onto the adapter.
    • Focus
    • Switch the adapter barrel to "lock"
    • Change aperture if desired
    • Take picture

Or maybe what you are saying that your problem is you can't take a picture at anything other than wide open. In that case...
    1. Slide the barrel on the adapter to the "open" setting
    2. Mount the FD lens onto the adapter
    3. Switch the adapter barrel to "lock"
    4. Change focus and/or aperture as desired
    5. Take picture

It sounds like you're leaving the adapter in "lock" mode when dismounting/mounting an FD lens onto the adapter. In which case the next mounting of a lens won't have the pin in the right place to move the aperture. See also this thread.

5. Keppelj

Jul 26, 2013
    This: "just use the f-stop on the lens and the camera will adjust shutter/ISO accordingly." is what I'd forgotten. Thanks so much! I just had spent too much time with the kit lens lately and had forgotten that I could set f-stop and use the screen and 0.0 readout to judge exposure. Now it's working fine. You generously took a shotgun approach to answering my question and hit the mark. One of your bullet points is "switch the adapter barrel to lock". Trying that now and the controls in shooting mode (M) all worked as they had in "open" including the 0.0 readout. Not clear what "lock" does. BTW I find it better for focus shut down to my working aperture because I can see the peaking much better with that greater level of contrast.

6. Keppelj

Jul 26, 2013
    dbmiller, I answered my own question about "lock". On my FT lenses, with the lens on "manual", "lock" has no effect. The lens lightens and darkens on "open" just fine. With the FD lenses, aperture changes only effect the lcd screen with the adaptor setting on "lock". Thanks again!