Frustrated with 7 III + 100 GM

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
Your histogram, you should push it more to the right but without clipping the highlights. You'll get a brighter and cleaner image.
Anyway I wouldn't shoot at iso 5000, even if I had a 7III.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
My wife has a A 6500 + Sony 85mm f/1.8 and I have made some shots with it, when it arrived home. She also has a zoom but a "poor" one only for travel purposes, the Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
She is as demanding as I am in image quality terms... but the weight is important to be kept low in certain circumstances.
I am going to send back the 100 GM. I asked if I could, and it's OK.
And what am I going to get instead ?
A Sony SEL FE Full Frame Sonnar T* 55mm f/1.8 ZA !
I think it is good for everyday and for travel with the Sony 24mm f/2.8 and the Sony 85mm f/1.8.
What annoy us both is the changing lens.
I have now two or three plastic bags inside my pouch to drop the camera and lenses in and make the lens swap both hands outside. Perhaps it is a good idea...
We had bad experiences changing lenses even taking all the usual cautions...
Any thought ? Thanks ! :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Nice trinity of lenses... I would stick with the primes, because I prefer them over zooms and generally, they do have better IQ. But the IQ of modern zooms, especially GM, is pretty darn good, though.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
Nice trinity of lenses... I would stick with the primes, because I prefer them over zooms and generally, they do have better IQ. But the IQ of modern zooms, especially GM, is pretty darn good, though.
Yes Bob. Someone I know told me that the 70-200 GM was... a gem from wide to tele !
On the other hand I read that it is not that fantastic.
I prefer primes.
To this trinity I have added the 135 GM ! A great lens but as most of them, pretty heavy !
:)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
For zoom convenience: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or Sony FE 24-105 f/4 (albeit slower).

Substitute prime for the 100mm STF: Sony FE 90mm macro. Only 10mm difference, brighter and more versatile.

I prefer primes as well, and I think a combo of 24, 35, 50, 85, 135mm will have you covered for nearly all travel situations. A fast ultra-wide of 16-20mm would be the last to round off the prime combo.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
Perhaps, 3 primes have globally better image quality than the 24-70 GM...
Don't you think so, Ad ?
Yes, I think so, but the FE 2.8/24-70 GM seems to be excellent as zoom lenses go. It depends on the kind of photography you do and what you want to do with the results; making a print of 60x90 cm or using it to show family pics on instagram, and everything in between. I'm very fond of the primes I have but I also use the not very highly regarded FE 4/24-70.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom