Front Curtain Shutter

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by clydestuh, Jul 3, 2013.

1. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    What is the FCS for? I have tried both on and off but didn't notice any difference on my 7's images. I tried googling it but got even more confused. Please help!

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It does effectively two things: Doubling the life of your mechanical shutter (because the first shutter plane is done with electronic scanning rather than a real shutter curtain) and reducing the shutter lag. If everything works properly, there's no reason to deactivate it.

4. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh I get it now! It's like mechanical vs electronic shutter operations right? When I did turn it off, the shutter sound was a bit louder I did notice. Thanks for the solid responses guys!

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I switched the camera to electronic front curtain almost immediately after I got the NEX-6 half a year ago and I left it that way since. I have never noticed any problems with uneven exposure nor blurry parts in the image, using a lot of legacy Minolta MF lenses alongside the native E-mount lenses with all kinds of shutter speeds and with or without flash.
    On the other hand I have the impression that I suffer significantly less from vibration this way and I like the low shutter-lag it brings, as mentioned by Poki as well.

6. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands

After to have been with you I have always used the camera with Shutter curtain front enabled.. No problems encountered. Find it more comfortable. Else also feel he makes two pictures sequentially.

7. Fivel

Fivel New to TalkEmount

Jul 29, 2013
    Hello Frank. I have a Sony NEX 6, for which I also bought the SEL 50mm F 1.8 lens. I use it for astrophotography. As to the Front Curtain issue, I was having too much shutter vibration, causing image focus issues (clear on the LCD and ECF but not so after playback). Enabling the Front Curtain has minimized this, but I still have some remaining to deal with. Since astrophotography will inherently show the worst of situations, I hope this may help others with less demanding vibration/focus issues. Thanks for your info and links on this subject.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    With a good tripod and a remote, shutter vibration shouldn't be a problem.

9. Fivel

Fivel New to TalkEmount

Jul 29, 2013
    Hello Poki. I have a very stable tripod, for my telescope and always use a remote (2 second timer). Before I switched to Front Curtain , There was always a significant difference in the focus between what is seen on the LCD screen or the EVF vice the played back image (less focussed). My Panasonic FZ 47 (P&S) does not suffer this issue. My Pentax KX DSLR has the mirror slap vibration issue )minimized with a remote/delay), which is why I went mirror less.
    Now the final image is much better, but I believe my NEX 6 still has vibration issues. When the weather is clear enough, I will attempt more images (stills and stacked videos). I will also try the Hand Held Twilight mode for some Moon imaging (I wish it was available in the M and S modes).

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hmm.. interesting! I only do night landscape with wide angle lenses and no 'real' astrophotography, so that might be why I don't suffer any issues with my old NEX-5.

11. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Very helpful discussion, thank you.