1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

From Sony: Situations the A6000 has difficulty handling

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rdfisch, Apr 29, 2014.

1. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I applaud Sony for their honesty, but when I read this list of "Situations this product has difficulty handling" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.sony-europe.com/support/emanual/ILCE-6000/HG/EN/contents/TP0000301942.html

It's nice to claim the world's fastest autofocus, but here is their list of situations when "the product cannot take full advantage" of Lock-on AF:

• Low light conditions
    • Overly bright conditions
    • Varying levels of brightness
    • Large moving subjects or subjects that move too quickly
    • Subjects too small or too large

So if the light is perfect and the subject is just the right size and not moving too quickly ... were golden!

I think this is mostly a case of CYA, and a convenient place to point and educate complaining customers. Realistically, my first impressions after almost 24 hours with the A6000 are mostly good, tho I really haven't had that much time to spend with it. I just couldn't help but see some humor in the Sony list. I will share more in a week or so.

• Like Like x 1
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    As you say, definitely CYA - and having recently used it in very poor light indoors at a wedding disco I can say it hit almost every time - I was REALLY pleased with it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, that's covering pretty much every scenario.

I am seeing some very mixed user reviews out there. Some say it is perfect and works well, others are complaining that they can not get any descent shots. Really don't know what to think, especially as I have not laid hands on the A6000, nor even really planning on buying it as I am plenty pleased with my NEX-6.

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have a strong suspicion that those with bad experiences haven't updated the firmware on their existing lenses... I've seen 2 people on this forum alone mention they hadn't and then after was like night and day. I did it as it came out the box, I did do a 10 second test before/after with the 55210 and it was ridiculous how bad it was before the update - WAAAAY worse than the Nex-5 was.

The AF is clearly optimised to work with phase+contrast only - if it is forced to do contrast only it just hunts up and down a few times and usually doesn't even hit from what I saw before upgrading.

5. tommyrot

tommyrot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Chicago
    How can I tell if my SEL55210 and SEL35f/1.8 (bought new in February) need firmware updates? Or will it be really obvious? (I haven't tried these lenses on the A6000 yet.)

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You'll find a similar disclaimer from most manufacturers these days. Ever read the conditions for battery life for computers? Basically the thing is on, no WIFI, screen dimmed, HD set to sleep after XX minutes etc.

It's marketing, but if they don't make the disclaimer they get sued because Johnny only got 3 hours instead of 3.5. Same with AF- under the conditions of the test they were the fastest, normal people in normal situations maybe not so much.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't blame Sony. I can't begin to list the number the posts I've seen on other photography sites where someone posts a picture of a shot through an iron gate or a bunch of tree branches and then is outraged that the camera couldn't focus on their spouse's face (in the shadows) on the other side. :rolleyes:

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Answers all your firmware questions... http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-sel-firmware-update-ver02-win

Or if you are a Mac boy! http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-sel-firmware-update-ver02-mac

Pretty sure the 35 hasn't got a firmware update as its a newer lens so comes already compatible with phase focus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Makes sense.

I also have the feeling that often people get excited about a new device, and start shooting away, without reading a manual, or understanding the various settings.