• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

From Michigan and M-43

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Hi all. I see a lot of familiar faces from M-43 here. I'm considering adding an E-Mount to my gear and came to pick your brains. I shoot a G9 mainly, also have a Gx9. A-Mount cameras includes a couple of Maxxum 7000s, an A-700 and an SLT-A65.

Cheers!

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Hi Tim, welcome to TalkEmount! Yes there are a few from M-43 here. Some have moved on from M4/3 gear and shoot Sony only, but some like me, still shoot with both systems. I have both because I see advantages to each and don’t mind having 2 systems, it makes it fun!

I have a G9, but really prefer my EM1 MkIII to it, using Oly Pro f2.8 zooms and a couple of P/Leica primes, the 42.5mm Noct f1.2 and and 25mm Summilux f1.4, along with my Oly 75mm f1.8 for portraits. Have been using my M4/3 gear since 2012 for all travel overseas because of the weight restrictions; the zooms are Pro grade, very sharp, have extended F/L in more compact designs and are weather sealed, which is important as the wife and I travel to SE Asia a lot. Sony, or anyone else in FF, has yet to come up with a lens like the Oly 40-150 f2.8 Pro.

What E-Mount bodies are you considering? Myself, I started with the A7III about 2-1/2 years ago, traded for the A7RIII for 5 months and now have the A7RIV for the last 4 months. Just love the 61MP of the A7RIV, plus is has slightly better ergonomics, twin USH-II card slots, great Eye-AF and Real Time Tracking (RTT). And I can crop in camera to a 26MP file size with a 50% reach gain with any lens. My Sony gear is all primes with one expensive zoom, the 100-400 GM, and will be used for mostly portrait, general local shooting, landscapes, airshows and wildlife shooting.

General Sony Advantages are:
~Sony’s Eye-Af is more reliable and works at a greater distance than either Pany or Oly’s version. I use this a lot for my outdoor portraits.

~Sony’s new RTT on the newest bodies is pretty amazing. You will get a significant improvement in tracking over either Pany or Oly’s versions in AF-C. I shot the Blue Angels at an air show this past March and was simply blown away by the RTT accuracy.

~The newer Sony bodies using the NP-FZ100 battery will have 25-35% better battery life than either my G9 or EM1 MkIII.

~Sony, like M-43, has numerous lens providers making both AF and MF lenses.

~Of course you can shoot at native ISO 100 and get a stop or so better low light performance, but that is not that big of an advantage to me. As I shoot my EMI MKIII almost always at ISO 100. Plus I use Topaz DeNoise which tends to equalize thing out. But if you like to shoot at ISO 3,200 or 6,400, a FF sensor will give you better results.

General M-4/3 advantages are:
~Olympus IBIS is the best, a couple stops better than Sony. The G9 IBIS is close, especially if you have a Dual IS lens. I don't do a lot of video, but I can finally handhold a camera, the EM1 MkIII, and get rock steady video without a tripod!

~M-4/3 lenses are still way more compact and most times less expensive. Oly and Pany have zooms that simple don’t exist for the E-Mount yet, though Tamron has made some effort here and their trio of f2.8 zooms are priced right and highly regarded. The Sony standard 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 zooms are 1st designs and somewhat heavy and expensive at $2,100 and $2,700. Their latest new zoom is the 12-24 GM f2.8, and is $3,000!

~Weather sealing, again with Oly leading the way, it better than Sony, though their newest bodies have made improvements. Still they don’t give any of the equipment a water resistant rating like Oly has.

Last edited:

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have questions, some of which you've addressed in your post. I'll get more specific in the appropriate forum. I am really happy with the G9 under most conditions, the main exception being action shots where Panny's DFD system falls short. I've been doing a lot of reading and research and am considering the 7iii. I don't feel I need the additional megapickles the R provides, but I've not made up my mind as of yet.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
A7III is a Great camera. But by years end a newer version with more a few more MP, the RTT and a better EVF and LCD will be out. But most likely $500 more expensive. Maybe get a used A7III now to start?

And yes the DFD AF system is bad at times, rather frustrating, by far my biggest complaint with the otherwise excellent G9.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
A7III is a Great camera. But by years end a newer version with more a few more MP, the RTT and a better EVF and LCD will be out. But most likely $500 more expensive. Maybe get a used A7III now to start?

And yes the DFD AF system is bad at times, rather frustrating, by far my biggest complaint with the otherwise excellent G9.
I'm in no rush, what's the new model coming out? Has it been announced?

The G9 has ridiculously fast focusing under the correct circumstances, for a lot of what I enjoy shooting it fills the bill nicely. And you can't argue with the optical reach advantage of M-4/3. I was out last night playing around with a Tamron 200-500 A-Mount on the G9 just to see what I could do with it handheld. Most of the shots were at full extension for experimentation, so about 1000mm equivalence. The lens gets decent MOR reviews over at Dyxum. It performed way better than I expected based on what I paid for it.

51267114588_00c411e4b6_b.jpg
   ---            
P1074165 by telecast, on Flickr

I have a question up in adapted lenses about the LA-AE4 adapter, I'd like to use it initially with the Tamron and my old A-Mount Minolta glass until I add more lenses.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim

I poked around and found the rumor, definitely interested. I think 30MP is about the top end of perfect considering file size, cropping, etc. As I said, I'm in no rush. My current gear is more than enough for all but the most demanding focus situations.

What really got me to looking was the recent G9 firmware update that gave the G9 the same focusing capability as the S5. I have been looking at several entry level FF including Nikon's Z 5 and 6, the aforementioned S5, and something forgettable from Canon. I had pretty much settled on the S5 but after the update went to an airshow and my hit rate was no better or worse than before. It did do a nice job, however, of identifying people on the announcing scaffold and focusing on them as I panned past... :doh: The camera still hunts too much. As you know, seconds are crucial at an air show. I started looking around at better focusing options and ran into the 7iii, which in turn brought me here.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I'm in no rush, what's the new model coming out? Has it been announced?
It is the update to the best selling A7III, the A7IV. Announced officially no, but in an interview in the 4th Qtr of 2020 a Sony EU manager, I believe it was a German interview, did say Sony was working on it and speculations at the time said it might be released in the 1st Qtr of 2021. He said it would be more likely the 3td Qtr of 2021 but the wait would be worth it.

Rumor sites have all speculated with info from their "sources" as to what that might mean, but no one knows. Most logical seem to be a updated sensor of around 30MP with RTT, slightly better EVF and LCD (but still a step behind the A7RIV). Body wise the same but maybe with the very slight improvements the A7RIV got over the A7RIII, such as a locking button the on the EQ dial, better button and dial designs to slightly lift them off the camera and dual UHS-II slots. Oh and the grip was redesigned and ever so slightly deepened on the A7RIV and added a much needed 3mm or so of space around the lens release button, as with previous models my fingers would get pinched trying to release larger lenses, but no longer. All the sources say the price will be $2,500 US. Last weeks rumors said announce in September with shipping by November, but who knows.....

Brownie said:
I started looking around at better focusing options and ran into the 7iii, which in turn brought me here.
My A7III was very good at airshows, but I never used tracking as it was not great. 9 point or small zone in AF-C and the joystick worked fine, but I did all the tracking. :laugh: Same with my D500 before that.

However at the airshow in March I used the RTT on the A7RIV for the 1st time. I used zone tracking and the camera tracked all the planes in AF-C, I just pushed the shutter button. Tried Hi, Med and Low FPS with no real difference. Out of 2,000 photos only 25 were OOF and those were from a high speed low level ground pass. Even 1,8000ss wasn't fast enough to keep up with 650 MPH planes. Link if you're interested:

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/...p-aps-c-crop-mode-with-the-blue-angels.20290/

Last edited:

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
It is the update to the best selling A7III, the A7IV. Announced officially no, but in an interview in the 4th Qtr of 2020 a Sony EU manager, I believe it was a German interview, did say Sony was working on it and speculations at the time said it might be released in the 1st Qtr of 2021. He said it would be more likely the 3td Qtr of 2021 but the wait would be worth it.

Rumor sites have all speculated with info from their "sources" as to what that might mean, but no one knows. Most logical seem to be a updated sensor of around 30MP with RTT, slightly better EVF and LCD (but still a step behind the A7RIV). Body wise the same but maybe with the very slight improvements the A7RIV got over the A7RIII, such as a locking button the on the EQ dial, better button and dial designs to slightly lift them off the camera and dual UHS-II slots. Oh and the grip was redesigned and ever so slightly deepened on the A7RIV and added a much needed 3mm or so of space around the lens release button, as with previous models my fingers would get pinched trying to release larger lenses, but no longer. All the sources say the price will be $2,500 US. Last weeks rumors said announce in September with shipping by November, but who knows.....

My A7III was very good at airshows, but I never used tracking as it was not great. 9 point or small zone in AF-C and the joystick worked fine, but I did all the tracking. :laugh: Same with my D500 before that.

However at the airshow in March I used the RTT on the A7RIV for the 1st time. I used zone tracking and the camera tracked all the planes in AF-C, I just pushed the shutter button. Tried Hi, Med and Low FPS with no real difference. Out of 2,000 photos only 25 were OOF and those were from a high speed low level ground pass. Even 1,8000ss wasn't fast enough to keep up with 650 MPH planes. Link if you're interested:

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/...p-aps-c-crop-mode-with-the-blue-angels.20290/
Nicely done.

This is from about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The Yankee Air Force hosted an 'evening' air show. Since they aren't doing a real Thunder Over Michigan this year (COVID) They've resorted to these mini drive-in air shows. The problem is the flight line faces due west and on a sunny evening by 6:00 you're shooting into the sun. Most of the earlier shots aren't too bad, but by the time they got to the Snowbirds and the CF-18 Hornet there are a lot of lifted shadows. Most of the good shots were taken to the North and East as the airplanes circled to take advantage of the light. This is to my Flickr album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW15swq

Latest threads

Top Bottom