From Fuji F660EXR to Sony NEX-F3K ($250 used like new price)..good idea?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, Aug 6, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Basically my GF , I got her the Fuji some months ago but it looks like she is a Bokeh lover so, I am thinking on getting her a NEX too. I saw a local selling the F3 so I thought about just selling hers and getting her that one which will make it easy for her to get the Bokeh she likes so much. She is VERY new to this but she likes that blurry effect :D

Think that is a good camera for her? I own the NEX6 right now so it would be nice to exchange lenses like at the Zoo the other day isntead of me having to keep swapping we can both have a lens to capture different angles as needed by the location.

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I dumped my Canon T3i for F3, this should tell you what I think :) And I was using Canon DSLRs for 7 years, upgrading every couple of years, and didn't even plan to switch to Nex until I bought a used F3.

To me - and my opinion is of course strictly mine and not necessarily an objective one - of all Nex cameras with 16MP sensor, the best two are F3 and 6. For two reasons. (the sensor is the same, the IQ should be same / very close on F3, 3N, 5 or 6).

- F3 and 6 are the only Nex cameras on which you can have both EVF and flash at the same time. (I left 7 out as it is a different beast altogether). This is very important with a small camera which you may carry with you anywhere & often can't plan ahead for whatever situation may arise. I keep external EVF on at all times, and the built-in flash is sufficient for most situations.

- F3 and 6 are the "grippiest" bodies - I went to the local BB and held all the Nex bodies they had, these two were the easiest to hold. Very important if you plan on using legacy glass.

Of course F3 with EVF is getting into the 6 pricing, but still quite a bit cheaper, and you don't have to buy EVF unless you feel you need to. I got mine from Amazon for $230.

My thoughts on other Nex's:

- 3N was dumbed down vs F3 to better distance it from 6 and to better appeal to P&S shooters. Two things I didn't like about it are (1) it's noticeably smaller and less "grippy" and (2) it doesn't have an accessory port for EVF, so using legacy glass would be PITA. Just try to focus a 70-210 lens in bright sunlight without EVF and while holding a tiny camera body.

- 5N doesn't have a built in flash, and I do use flash often enough, either bounced off ceiling or for fill in light. So it's either flash or EVF with it, can't have both. Also it's smaller than F3 but didn't feel as bad as 3N.

After holding the 6 though, I really liked it, so if there's a replacement coming up, I may start looking for it.
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well I am sort of pushing her to upgrade because I know it will be best for her. Did a test of her Fuji vs my Nex6 with kit lens on a very low light scene, she was bummed how horrible hers look and how good mine was so I think I am getting there :D