From a Nex-6 to an A7...some thoughts

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NickCyprus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, as some of you may already know, I finally (after several months trying to sell my Nex-6/18-105G) managed to get an A7!!!
    Saying how excited I was upon receiving it is an understatement and I won't get into a Nex-6 vs A7 comparison or review, since the A7 is an "old" model by now and there are many reviews/comparisons online already.

Just wanted to share some thoughts and basically 5 cons based on personal preferences about the Nex-6 vs the A7 and looking forward hearing your comments :)

1) Why on hell did they pull out the remote control function from the Drive Mode??? Because of that, you can't assign the remote control function to a custom button or in the FN quick menu :mad: ....Unless I'm missing something?
    (I know you can do the remote shutter with an app but still...)

2) The battery life on the A7 is worse (even with airplane mode) than the Nex-6. It was much better on the Nex-6 using the same batteries (oem and 3rd party) :(

3) FOR ME and the way I like my photos to look, low light the A7 is a stop better than the Nex-6. With the Nex-6 I was satisfied with ISO up to 800, with the A7 its ok up to ISO 1600 and I found ISO 3200 to be noisy

4) Auto WB on the A7 is all over the place, photos have unnatural colors IMO and look a bit over saturated. On Auto WB, especially skin tones look off on the A7 than on the Nex-6

5) The shutter sound is plain awful. Its not that its loud (it isn't for me) but I can't explain with words what and why I don't like but I don't remember feeling the same for the shutter sound on the Nex-6. Its like it sounds "heavy" if that makes any sense :coco:

To be fair its not all bad though :) I found many things I like more than the Nex-6 - probably have to post a list of what I like, lol :D

Sorry for the rant :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    How do you like it overall ?

I find AWB on Nex 6 to be rather bad for Caucasian skin tones - too much orange - so if A7 is even worse, that's bad news.

Although at this time I would prefer to stick with a smaller package.

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Overall I must say I like the A7! I prefer it from the Nex-6 for several other reasons and don't regret buying it :)

Exactly that! Caucasian skin tones are a bit orange with A7's Auto WB, unless I'm doing something wrong... I don't remember being the case with the Nex-6

I am of the few, that actually preferred the (slightly) bigger body/package of the A7, even though in general the grip isn't much different/bigger from the Nex-6. Due to this and the fact that the extra weight of the A7 vs the Nex-6 is noticeable, the ergonomics/overall grip is worse on the A7 that on the Nex-6 IMO. Heavier lenses are more cumber-stone to hand hold. I think an L-plate bracket will mainly solve this issue for me, since it will add the few mm missing from the bottom of the camera body that leave the small finger hanging in the air :)

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What can I tell you, Nick? Change is difficult. Give it time. I can assure you that I wouldn't consider changing back to a NEX-6. :shakehead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    You know...number one on your list is probably the most annoying thing I have found on my A7ii. I thought having the remote control option there was perfect so yeah...:/
    I wont comment much since I got the a7ii but I have found battery life the same if not better on my a7ii than my 6 somehow which is odd considering the IBS etc.
    Color is also better to my eyes.
    Enjoy! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I agree only slightly about the remote control. And here's why. Now that i've turned it on. I see absolutely nothing it affects negatively by having it on. In fact. I can now finally take bracket shots with the remote. 5r never allowed that. So what does it affect by having it on all the time that would require turning it off? Why do you need it to be a custom button? Set it and forget it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't remember the nex-6 anymore, but Mark I A7's button replacement looked to me more based on RX1 then nex series. Mark II versions have bigger grip with better button placement. However they kept the battery size same with even bigger grip, which is good as an owner of 10 batteries and bad for performance... However I prefer the smaller size of mark I to bigger/heavier mark II's but then that is the price of IBIS. Same with the shutter eg your shutter mechanism is 2.25 times bigger. I don't use the remote, so I had to set up my shutter with 2 sec delays... Then I forgot and thought the shutter was broken when I picked it after a week:) Best thing is keep shooting and it will take a while to get your memory adjusted... Enjoy your new toy, sorry camera:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I had it on at the beginning but was told that its one of those functions on the A7 that affect battery performance....

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Me either ;)

10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I haven't tested it myself since well, it will always be tricky to perform such a test but you will think that having that option on meaning the internal radio receiver for the trigger will be on all the time, is going to affect Battery life. How much it will drain depends on many factors, mostly on how much you're actually using the remote trigger itself I suppose.
    Then again, I carry several batteries with me so perhaps is not that crucial...time to go out shooting with it on to see if I notice anything drastic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I hadn't considered battery life. I always use the camera in airplane mode since it came out of the box. I was never impressed with their wifi/nfc/app performance so iI never use it. It took a solid day of fiddling before I came across the remote settings. I don't think I've ever turned it off.

Come to think of it maybe that's why they made it so hard to find. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

So what are your general thoughts? The tone seems a bit disappointed?

1- Every model is slightly different, to be expected, but it is annoying when certain features we love change though. Ask the NEX-7 faithful about TriNav. :p

2- I have heard this. Several Youtube commentators complain about the bad battery. I have never taken more than 20-30 photos per event, but I can imagine if you are doing a paid event and need to take thousands of shots that this would be irritating.

3- Low Light is even better on the A7's, but I have no issue on the A6000.

4- When shooting JPEG's I hardly ever rely on the AWB. It is highly unreliable at best.

5- Don't know about the shutter sound, personal preference.

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Actually to me Nex 6 has too much orange in skin tones when taking photos of people with very fair skin - that's pretty much my entire family.

I hope A6000 is better.

It's also very lens dependent, one of the reasons I am not so thrilled about Sigma primes is that they seem to really amplify orange tones. The old Minoltas are far better, and so is 18-105.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Easily adjusted if you get off of AWB.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Ok, what's my general thoughts...

Just a few as they pop on my mind now:

The customization is night and day difference from the Nex-6. I now can adjust 99% of the settings I usually adjust when shooting, without taking my eye from the viewfinder. The front (aperture) and back dials (shutter speed) are brilliant!

The menu is much better than on the Nex-6s but still a little annoying they mixed and match settings (video settings together with stills settings etc). But overall, a great improvement

I was afraid of the shutter button placement but the words people here told me that I'll get use to it in a day come in mind now :) Its not bad, its just different and I got used to it :)

Can't even stress how much nicer is the separation of the memory card from the battery compartment!!! Since I don't use the usb cable to transfer photos from the camera to the laptop but instead take the memory card off the camera and load it to my laptop, this is a huge improvement to me :thumbsup: You really needed a child's fingers to take out the memory card from the Nex-6 :D

EVF is AMAZING and the resolution of the LCD much nicer than the Nex-6. Plus I think LCD is more tilt-able...

Start up time is very much improved (2.0 firmware)

Camera feels more "professional", its more solid (but with the cost of added weight which has its drawbacks as mentioned earlier with heavier lenses and handling). Build quality is superb IMO and the camera is just damn sexy :D

Personally I'm missing the little on-board flash of the Nex-6 :( There were times it would be helpful (low light indoor shooting setting it to the bounce position) but also to serve as a remote trigger etc.
    I don't like the MENU button placement but that's just a small thing really...
    Still not sure how I feel about the center vs left side EVF...

Spec-wise, I can't really comment on many things now, cause I haven't explored/taken advantage of the A7s full capabilities since I don't have a native AF lens. However, I'm loving every minute with the new to me camera ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've barely used my old NEX-7 since I got the A7. The EVF seems coarse and when I need to change a bunch of settings it just seems like a real pain in the butt with that old, ill-conceived menu system.

OTOH, it does still seem miraculously small and the shutter is so quick and snappy!

I do still deploy APS-C for casual and inconspicuous use (which actually comes up fairly often). I tend to favor my Canon EOS-M for the size, the fast pancake prime and not least of all the touch screen interface. I'd like to update eventually to newer AF & WiFi - hopefully the latest entry-level Sony will be worthy.

17. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    DSC03141.JPG DSC00671.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Th problem is, you now have to set WB all the time, including some very unique lighting conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ok. If I am at a location with stable lighting, I set it and forget it.

If the lighting varies a lot, I will use AWB and fix later.

20. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Isn't the fix for that called RAW? ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1