Fresh starting the Sony A7 III

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
I have initialised (start from scratch, like out of the box) my Sony A7 III as certain buttons were already a mess and I wanted to go back to a couple of default buttons.
When I restarted the camera introducing the date, the time, the zone, etc. I was in A mode.

My simple questions are:

1. Should I have started over in any other mode, like Manual for example ?
2. Would that option had made any difference at all ?

As I am in the learning process, I want to customize certain functions but I want to do it slowly so I can "absorb" the most. Great camera BTW !
Thank you ! :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I'd suggest that you follow an introductory course in photography. You ask about the difference between A and M mode and that question gives me the feeling that you know some stuff but also that your knowledge has some large gaps. A good introductory course can help you to get a good start; you'll encounter some stuff you already know, but you'll also be surprised at what you learn. I hope you're not offended by this.

Maybe someone else can chime in to guide you to a photography course?

All the best!

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
Thank you Ad. :)
Perhaps I have not expressed myself correctly.
I wander if starting the camera from scratch (factory settings) in A mode is the same as starting from M mode.
Stupid question perhaps, but sometimes the software has manias...
This, regardless the fact that I know little about photography... I am not offended, OK ? :)
Have a nice week end Ad ! :)
Any way the camera works fine as you can see here

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Antonio - While I haven't done much with my A7iii, I did reprogram the focus assist to button C2.
I don't think it would have made any difference which mode you started the camera up in, but I haven't tried it myself.
For ease of programming I'd think the start up routine is the same for all modes, but again, I'm not sure.
One thing you could do is try it.
I believe there's a re-set to factory menu item so you can experiment with it.
I wouldn't think you can hurt it unless you turn the camera OFF while it's doing something, like writing to the cards.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I wander if starting the camera from scratch (factory settings) in A mode is the same as starting from M mode.
This, regardless the fact that I know little about photography... I am not offended, OK ? :)
Ah, I completely misunderstood, so I wasn't helping at all :). Good luck!

fractal

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
I don't believe it matters what mode you are in when you reset the camera to factory settings.

The features I enjoy the most are the "fn" button that takes me to 90% of the adjustments I need to make; and the custom buttons.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
No, it doesn't matter what mode the camera is left in when you do a reset to default settings.
The camera has numerous options and functions. Hence the complicated menu. But the A7III has the My Menu option that you can map all your most used options to it for easier access. Once you've customized your buttons to your most used features, the Sony cameras are a breeze to use on a daily basis. That's why I don't understand the constant complaints about the menu system by youtube channels. They usually don't accumulate any quality time with the cameras.
Yes a touch screen system would be even more convenient, but presently Sony 3rd gen bodies are not tasking to use. Sorry for straying off topic. ;)

Last edited:

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Regular
I've been using a Panasonic G9 and Nikon D500 - both praised for their menu systems - and find the A9 as good. And as you can save a set of custom settings to apply with a button hold, it's more powerful than either of those.

The language is a barrier though and most makers don't appear to want to spend money on technical writers. Eg. Sony uses register for save, operation part for camera control, and multi selector for joystick. It's garbage bin menu tips is aptly assigned ;)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
I don't believe it matters what mode you are in when you reset the camera to factory settings.
The features I enjoy the most are the "fn" button that takes me to 90% of the adjustments I need to make; and the custom buttons.
Today in the afternoon I have been shooting with the 135mm and I did not change but one setting: Silent mode.
For now I will go easy in customisation. However, I changed C1 from WB to "no operation".
Thank you for commenting ! :)
No, it doesn't matter what mode the camera is left in when you do a reset to default settings.
The camera has numerous options and functions. Hence the complicated menu. But the A7III has the My Menu option that you can map all your most used options to it for easier access. Once you've customized your buttons to your most used features, the Sony cameras are a breeze to use on a daily basis. That's why I don't understand the constant complaints about the menu system by youtube channels. They usually don't accumulate any quality time with the cameras.
Yes a touch screen system would be even more convenient, but presently Sony 3rd gen bodies are not tasking to use. Sorry for straying off topic. ;)
But Wing, I can only thank you for your constructive comment ! :)
I am not sure if I understood correctly what you are mentioning regarding the touch screen... it works on mine. I have a little problem with it but I have to insist practising and I hope I can get it working nicely.

I've been using a Panasonic G9 and Nikon D500 - both praised for their menu systems - and find the A9 as good. And as you can save a set of custom settings to apply with a button hold, it's more powerful than either of those.

The language is a barrier though and most makers don't appear to want to spend money on technical writers. Eg. Sony uses register for save, operation part for camera control, and multi selector for joystick. It's garbage bin menu tips is aptly assigned ;)
Thank you Ziggy99 fro your comment. I also have an Olympus 5 MkII with a few lenses which menus I master (a bit of course) and have a couple of customised buttons.
I will do the same with the 7 III
-
Cheers to you all ! :)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
But Wing, I can only thank you for your constructive comment ! :)
I am not sure if I understood correctly what you are mentioning regarding the touch screen... it works on mine. I have a little problem with it but I have to insist practising and I hope I can get it working nicely.
I should have been more precise, I meant a full touch menu implementation. ;)

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It takes a good 30 minutes to an hour to setup a camera to my liking. The A7III has so many custom options, it's hard to recommend a particular setting, since every photographer is different and prefers certain things. Saying that I have mine setup for manual lens shooting, action photography and video when need be, so it only takes a few adjustments to setup my A7III for a particular task.

Latest posts

Top Bottom