1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Free Capture One Express (for Sony)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by serhan, Sep 17, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I saw it in dc.watch.jp:

Capture One published free of charge "Capture One Express (Sony for)" for Sony digital camera users.
    Express version has some limitations on the functionality of the Capture One Pro, but upgrade to "Capture One Pro (for Sony)" is also available at 23 euros / $30.

http://www.phaseone.com/sony

I haven't tried it, but it is cheap compared to full pro version that sells for $300...

More at Brian Smith's blog:
    Capture One Adds Sony Tethering Support

• Like Like x 7
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    What is it...some sort of processing software?

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, it is similar to Lightroom but usu sells for $300. I think Amin had a review of it in the other forums... Full pro version adds also Sony Tethering Support...

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'll have to give this a try. Downloading now. Thanks!

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Since I believe that it's only a matter of time before Adobe locks up Lightroom in the Creative Cloud, I've been thinking about giving this app a try, Thanks for the nudge, serhan!

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Dang :(

I'd hate Adobe abords LR - I don't like switching programs especially now since I've learned a bit to work with Lightroom...

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, over the years I've accumulated a whole collection of RAW processors.. My biggest problem with LR was it being slow (solved by upgrading my computer to the new system with 16GB RAM) and funky orange skin tones out of Sony camera. Last year I bought PhotoNinja which for most part provided better skin tones, and better detail / highlights recovery than LR. I did try Capture One but on my old system it was agonizingly slow and I wouldn't pay $300 for it anyway.

Trying it now, the Sony version, I think it even beats PhotoNinja in terms of detail recovery. It is very resource heavy, though, although on my new desktop it's not a problem. It impressed me enough to pay $30 for the full (Sony) version. The biggest difference is the local brushes. Otherwise the Express version is a full featured global RAW editor. The brushes in the Pro version are not as nice as the ones in Lightroom - you have to manually create a new layer for each brush (unless I am missing something obvious), the brush control is also a bit clunkier, but they get the job done. It also has DAM with ratings and keywords and some filtering, although I didn't really learn it yet.

I need to try it on a photo with goofy skin tones to see if it can do a job as nicely as Photo Ninja. But I can already see it becoming my raw processor of choice. Getting the free version is a no brainer, and at $30 the Pro is cheap. It only edits Sony produced files (you can still review other photos).

• Like Like x 4
  8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just bought Capture One Pro 8 (Sony version) and paid €29. Considering I'd have bought it now for the old "half price" offer for €160, this is a pretty amazing deal.

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Score thx for this

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

10. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I've been playing around with the free download. As a LR user I'm impressed.

The only thing I can't figure out - when I do a manual crop, how do I set it? In LR you hit your enter/return key - doesn't work with C1 and I can't seem to figure out how.

11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Pick any tool other than crop once you set the boundary.

12. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I want to use Photoninja, but slow supporting my a6000 and a7S. As others have said, thank you for the nudge. Will give is a try.

13. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    First, thanks for the tip.
    I installed in my Macbook Air with 8Gb Ram and 512Gb SSD, and it's painfully slow. Wondering if any of have also experienced slowness and if so, have any tips to improve performance.

14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It's definitely not the hard drive, I have my photos on an external USB and it's quite bearable. SSD should fly. I think it's available RAM, I have 16GB. CaptureOne is not lightning fast but not slow either. But the amount of RAM it uses, according to TaskMan, is more than even LR.

15. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    Ah, I see. Thanks, Amamba.
    The lack of Ram extensibility was almost a showstopper for me when purchasing my first Air (this is my 2nd), but I travel long distances quite a bit and the low weight was a huge plus.
    I would love for us Air users to be able to add more Ram somehow but given its integrated into the motherboard... I don't see this happening... balancing act between weight and general dimension and power and features... Oh, well...

16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    ^why I'm not mad I bought the HP Spectre 13T under 3lbs with 8gb of ram and an i7

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

17. ryanlio

ryanlio TalkEmount Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Am having some issues running on win 8..
    1. Exposure adjustments only show up on browser view, not on the viewer section.
    2. Clicking on images in browser section behavior erratic. . Images doesn't show on viewer or show up after clicking another image..
    3. When cropping, the grid doesn't show up.
    Anyone having such issues on win 8? Tried installation on win 7.. It works on 7..

18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    No, I am running it on 8.1, no issues. I'd completely uninstall it and then reinstall from scratch.

19. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I am running in the same problem as with LR - skin tones.... If the camera didn't get them right in AWB, it's much harder for me to nail them in the program. Of course it's the matter of skill (or lack thereof) but I can't fix skin tones as easily as with PN.

The strongest part of Capture One seems to be the detail recovery, it's amazing, also the highlight recovery is very impressive.

20. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    downloading it now. I cannot wait to give it a try!