1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Found these old Vivitar 70-210mm Macro Focus & Tokina 80-200mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by HFPaul, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HFPaul

HFPaul TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Newbie question...

I found these two lenses in the garage, came off a Nikon FE2 (non-D SLR)

55MM Vivitar 70-210MM & Tokina 80-200MM

I'm not sure what condition they are but seems everything is still held up together - may be a little dirty.
    Will these work with the NEX cameras? I mean, is it worth it to get an adapter for these?

FoundLenses.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Considering the adapter is relatively inexpensive you really have nothing to lose giving them a shot. They might urprise you. ;)

3. HFPaul

HFPaul TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Good point. Just bought one from eBay.

Also just realized - there are filters stuck on these lenses!

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    let's go........try

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are several models of these lenses. I have Tokina 80-200/4.0 and I like it very much. I posted an image taken with it in the image thread.
    There are at least model with maximum aperture of 4.5. There are even more Vivitars with 70-210mm.

Adapter costs something like 15 USD from Ebay

6. HFPaul

HFPaul TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Awesome. Thanks for your feedback. I saw your image posts and they look sharp! I ordered one from eBay and now I can't wait to try them on.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that 70/80 - 200/210 zoom complements the kit zoom quite well and these are really cheap. Vivitar series 1 are very good but heavy and I prefer that Tokina 80-200/4 as it is good enough and somewhat lighter. Not close focus (that might be reason for it's optical performance). Btw, I paid 10 € for that one, had to clean it (inside). I purchased a Vivitar 70-210/4.5 (Kobori) just for close focus capability. It is in Olympus mount and I don't have adapter for it yet.

Now waiting for Sakar 135mm/2.5. I hope that it will work as a close focus lens (it has got a "macro" mode, pretty rare for a fixed focal length lens).

8. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    I have a Vivitar 70-210 F4.5-5.6 for Pentax K mount and use it with NEX using rainbow imaging pktoe mount adapter. The lens is pretty good and is sharp. One strange thing I observed is that the light delivered to sensor at 5.6 is much less than what compared to a 5.6 on a 50mm prime. Combined with lack of in camera image stabilization in NEX you might have to pump up the ISO if you plan to shot hand held.
    Has any one else observed the same while using legacy (manual) zoom lenses with NEX?
    Two samples from my blog:
    81/365 Coconut Palm | 365 days with NEX-3
    80/365 The Jack Fruit | 365 days with NEX-3

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yep, with many lenses. Don't know the reason.

Does your Vivitar start with 9 or 09 (Cosina)? I have one and I don't like it at all.

10. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    Yes, mine starts with 9 in fact the serial number is 92060951

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    So we have same lens. I will test it again (but I have a Tamrom 70-210/4-5.6 on way and that will fit just same niche and it is probably optically much better ) as I got it just right after Christmas and I think that light outside was very bad (not much of it, low angle).