Found some old glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nievesgirl, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Nievesgirl

Nievesgirl TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    Hi everyone ,

I decided to go look through my dad's old camera gear and found these lenses
    Olympus AF 50mm 1.8
    Olympus AF 70- 210mm 3.5-4.5
    Vivatar 75-205mm
    Canon FD 50mm 1.4

Is the canon the only lens worth using ? I know little about adapters which, adapters would be best for the canon 50mm 1.4

Attached Files:

2. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Not sure if you would be able to change the aperture on the two Olympus auto focus lenses. That could be problematic but maybe there is someone here who can comment for sure. However the other two lenses would work fine on your NEX. Assuming that the Vivitar is a Canon mount also. The Canon 50mm FD would be quite nice. It would perform a bit like a 75mm lens on a 35mm. Not sure if that means anything to you or not. Regardless it's a very decent lens and would be a nice short portrait telephoto. You can pick up a Canon-to-NEX adapter on eBay for around $10. Will come from Hong Kong or somewhere in mainland China. Probably take about 2 weeks or so to arrive here (sorry I am assuming that you are in the States). You can also purchase a Canon-to-NEX adapter from Rainbowimaging. Google search should bring up their website. They've also got the Canon FD adapter. Good stuff and at a good price. You might consider one of the Canon-to-NEX adapters with a built in tripod mount. Adds a little bit of weight to the adapter but it could come in hand for that hefty Vivitar zoom lens. Have fun. But be careful. Finding and using these relatively inexpensive 'legacy' lenses can become addictive!
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That Vivitar should be an ok lens too. It is very similar to Vivitar Series 1 70-210 and that lens is very good still.
  4. Nievesgirl

Nievesgirl TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    Would the same adapter work with the Vivatar ?
  5. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    The FD 50mm 1.4 and the Vivitar are both Canon FD mount so yes you can use the same adapter. The advice for an adapter with a tripod mount is excellent advice. You can find the adapters on amazon. The FD 50mm 1.4 is my favorite 50mm 1.4 lens ever. It's a real gem.
    • Like Like x 1