1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fotofair

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by addieleman, May 29, 2016.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A 2-day event organized by a photo store chain, where also a lot of distributors were present. Lectures, models, workshops, activities like bmx and wrestling. So I decided to try out some stuff like the Sony FE 4.5-5.6/70-300mm, Sigma MC-11 converter with a 24-105mm ART, Batis 2.8/18mm (no Loxia 2.8/21mm present :() and, last but not least, the FE 2.8/35mm which I could borrow at the Sony stand for 30 minutes. I'm hoping to acquire a used copy of this lens tomorrow so I grabbed the opportunity to see how I liked shooting with it: I want to have a small kit with an AF lens. In preparation for that I made the preemptive strike of buying the beautiful Thinktank Retrospective 5 bag; my wife agreed that there's no such thing as having too many bags, although I'm not sure we were talking about the same kind of bags.

And I practiced with action shots and candids; I figured no one would object there if I pointed a camera at someone.

i-3PQjmQw-X3.
    FE 4/70-200mm

i-xHrQv9K-X3.
    FE 4/24-70mm

i-Dc6NBHg-X3.
    FE 2.8/35mm

i-9SVsBbq-X3.
    FE 2.8/35mm

i-qHRQnfK-X3.
    FE 2.8/35mm

i-Btv9jRj-X3.
    FE 4/24-70mm

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Great stuff!! Looks like a fun time for all.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This looks really cool. Would love to go to something like this. Nice candids btw. :)

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ad how was the 70-300?

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Didn't disappoint at all with the quick-and-dirty test shots I made. I shot with f/5.6 at 300mm and AF was decisive and accurate, and sharpness was very good. The results are as good as what I've seen in sample images on the web. It's a big chunk of glass and metal and I feel it should have come with an optional tripod mount like the FE 4/70-200mm. It was nice to try it out but I don't think I'll replace my FE 4/70-200mm by this new lens.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I wish we had something similar around here - looks like fun and a great day for a gear-holic as me :) Would love to be able to try gear because buying.

We share the same taste in bags too - I love my ThinkTank Retrospective bags ;) (if i knew you were looking for a 5 I would have offered you mine)

How did you like the 18mm Batis?

Nice photos too ;)

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Gearhead fest for sure :). Must say I didn't like the Thinktank slingbag at all I had before, I almost always end up with a Lowepro bag but this Retrospective 5 Leather may be the exception. It's not as boxy as the Lowepro Nova 3 and nicely fits an A7 with the FE 4/24-70mm and/or FE 2.8/35mm and some room for other stuff. It doesn't look too much like a photo bag either and will hopefully serve me well when I go out and want to carry a serious camera in a small kit.

The Batis 18mm left me completely indifferent I must say. I'm sure image quality is top notch, can't judge that from the 5 grab shots I made. It's light but really big, for that space in my bag I'll pick the FE 4/16-35mm any day for its zoom range, an 18mm prime is just not my cup of tea.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Funny line about your wife agreeing that you can't have too many bags! ;) That's a nice ThinkTank. It doesn't scream PHOTOGRAPHER!

What an excellent time! Like the idea that you can try out the lenses for 30 min.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Fun looking event

Sent from my GT-N5110 using TalkEmount app

• Like Like x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You know how to live, Ad! :laugh:

Seriously, what a great opportunity. I swear, we should all chip in and send you to these events.

And... What's the verdict on the 35/2.8?

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My tribe. :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    And the Sigma 24-105 f4? I really would like this focal length and aperture in a zoom as a walk around lens but I am not sure it justifies the additional size and weight over the 24-70.

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ah. Now that starts to sound like work :eek:.
    I loved it. It is soooo petite. I used it for making candids with continuous AF, trying to work as fast as I could. Small package, even with the grip I could comfortably hold the camera with one hand and shoot around, long live IBIS! I missed focus here and there but when I nailed it the images were excellent. Not much depth of field at f/2.8, it's all too easy to pick the wrong focus point. It'll be in my bag one day or another.

• Like Like x 2
  14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Exactly my preferences and reservations after having tried it. It felt like a serious lens, metal barrel, hefty, smooth zoom action if a bit too stiff too my taste. Heavy, big, really something else than the FE 4/24-70mm, but it handled well on the A7R2 with grip. Being able to zoom out to 105mm was very nice, I forever bump at the 70mm mark with the 24-70 wanting to go further. I mostly shot wide-open at f/4 and the images looked very good, at least where I focussed; I didn't make an effort to check for across-the-frame sharpness, no scenes there to do that. AF-C was a bit erratic, it mostly worked but sometimes it surprised me by taking longer to focus, only focussed after a little repositioning or threw focus completely off at times. I shot a lot of AF-C with the FE 4/24-70mm that day and it felt much more reliable.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I love that lens, both for its size and IQ. It was the first FE lens I bought with my old A7. At the time the only others were the 28-70 kit lens, which didn't appeal to me, and the 55, which I couldn't afford. It stays on my A7II most of the time now, and makes for a deliciously small FF package. I was chagrined to see how many of my favorite photos from my recent trip to Patagonia, taken with the 24-240, ended up exactly at 35mm. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1