Fotodiox Tough E-mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tbyork2014, Oct 18, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
  2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I ordered one, and I may order a couple more depending on what it's like on my cameras. Looks like it could be a nice upgrade.
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Saw this on SAR, pretty keen but ill wait for a few more opinions.
  4. van

van TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    David Kilpatrick has a very complete and thorough review of it on the Photoclubalpha web site. A quick summary is that he experienced light leaks when using it with some adapters, but you should really read the entire article rather than just this summary.

The article is at:

- Tom -
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I fitted the tough amount to my A7r today. I hadn't experienced any squishy mount problems until I added a Mirex ( Mamiya 645- eos) Tilt Shift adapter and a 35mm Mamiya lens to my A7r. With the weight of the medium format lens and the combination of the mirex and an EOS- nex adapter ( moved the weight of the lens a good way from the mount) the squishy mount problem was immediately apparent. It took me 6 minutes to install the new mount. For now I am happy with it
    • Like Like x 2
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I personally have not had any issues with the adapters I have used, and am not plannin on buying this.

However, it is great to know thatvthe option exists.
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I haven't noticed any problem with the stock mount. (And you know how the saying goes: if it ain't broke...)

If I were to suffer a mishap and drop the camera, I think I would actually rather have the stock mount. It might get damaged but apparently it's pretty easy to replace. I'm a bit afraid that in the process of holding up better, the rugged upgraded mount might transfer more shock into the actual camera body, into components that are not so easily swapped out.
  9. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    In the installation video,, that guys a7 must be defective,, because i cant get my a6000 lens to wiggle like that
  10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    It's been a known problem with the A7 since it's release. Sony have fixed some under warranty due to light leaks in the same area.
  11. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I only noticed the wiggle when I started using Mamiya medium format lenses on my A7r. As I intimated earlier I think it was an issue of leverage. I didn't observe any problems when using my Minolta 135mm F2 on the A7r( over 700 grams) but with the Mamiya the adapters needed moved the weight further away from the mount. I saw in another thread someone found the conversion nerve wracking. I found it easy. I gained my biggest confirmation that I was doing the right thing when I lifted the original mount. The plastic mount almost fell off the A7r. It was obviously loose! I have been using the Tough e-mount for a small while now and I really like it. I have noticed an improvement with high magnification macro shots( 2-3 times life size). Just a note; the second generation of the tough e mount has the label" tough E-mount visible when fixed to the camera.
  12. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Just put one on my A7. No more wiggle!